PDA

View Full Version : Does AirPort Express allow iTunes music sharing?

SolarPoweredX
Aug 31, 2004, 02:25 PM
I'm sitting here at college trying to get iTunes music sharing working but the AX, which is used by my roommates and I, is complicating matters, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with Rendezvous. I tried disabling the distribution of ips (no NAT and DHCP) and I could see a bunch of shares, but then my college's network wouldn't allow me on. Is there any way to see shares using AX without disabling the Distribute IP addresses?

LeeTom
Aug 31, 2004, 02:39 PM
Forward port 3689 through the AirportExpress to your Mac's NAT'd IP address, and you should be able to see them.

Lee Tom

redAPPLE
Aug 31, 2004, 03:50 PM
Forward port 3689 through the AirportExpress to your Mac's NAT'd IP address, and you should be able to see them.

Lee Tom

is this documented somewhere?

SolarPoweredX
Aug 31, 2004, 04:20 PM

Lee Tom

See, I tried both that and 5353 (rendezvous) siultaneously and it still didn't work. Which is weird because that's what I'm used to doing to get access to services at home (IRC's 113, SSH's 22, etc) using a Linksys router.

LeeTom
Aug 31, 2004, 04:22 PM
It's possible that iTunes only allows sharing on the same subnet, in which case there would be no way to get this to work AND go through the Airport Express at the same time with NAT.

Lee Tom

LeeTom
Aug 31, 2004, 04:23 PM
is this documented somewhere?
If you go to the Firewall tab of the Sharing network preference, it shows that port as the iTunes Music Sharing port.

Lee Tom

SolarPoweredX
Aug 31, 2004, 06:03 PM
It's possible that iTunes only allows sharing on the same subnet, in which case there would be no way to get this to work AND go through the Airport Express at the same time with NAT.

Lee Tom

That's exactly what I figured, sharing being a rendezvous thing and all. So how would I turn off NAT and would this affect the 192.168.1.x numbering scheme currently in use? I'm simply lost as to the difference between the IP address that AX obtains and the router address that listed right underneath. Would would the non-NAT DHCP address range be?