PDA

View Full Version : General Questions about OSX Server

gatepc
Feb 23, 2010, 08:21 PM
Alright so I have a 2007 mac mini 1gb ram 1.83ghz C2D and am planning on installing a 2gb ram module myself to up it to 2.5gb's of ram so I meet requirements for 10.6 server ( requires at least 2gbs of ram) This is my primary computer for daily task and photo editing but I plan on turning this into a very basic server to run a photography page, a blog, and a phpbb3 forum. ( i know its not smart to use your server as a personal computer as well but thats the only computer I have and I don't have money for another one ) but here is my question : will I be able to install normal OSX apps like Aperture, Photoshop, Skype etc Also I have used a linux server before is there big difference or anything I should know about running OSX server? The site is not important which is complimented by the fact that I am going to be running it off my broadband connection ( not business class ) using no-ip.com to get it to work without a static ip.

Right now I am running a basic http server off of my mac mini with the web sharing feature on OSX you can see it here : ( yes its coded with iWeb I did not get around to custom making a site yet ) http://stevenk.zapto.org ( also am going to buy a domain soon)

anyway thanks for anyone who takes the time to read this huge block of text and answers my questions.

Jason Beck
Feb 23, 2010, 08:33 PM
Alright so I have a 2007 mac mini 1gb ram 1.83ghz C2D and am planning on installing a 2gb ram module myself to up it to 2.5gb's of ram so I meet requirements for 10.6 server ( requires at least 2gbs of ram) This is my primary computer for daily task and photo editing but I plan on turning this into a very basic server to run a photography page, a blog, and a phpbb3 forum. ( i know its not smart to use your server as a personal computer as well but thats the only computer I have and I don't have money for another one ) but here is my question : will I be able to install normal OSX apps like Aperture, Photoshop, Skype etc Also I have used a linux server before is there big difference or anything I should know about running OSX server? The site is not important which is complimented by the fact that I am going to be running it off my broadband connection ( not business class ) using no-ip.com to get it to work without a static ip.

Right now I am running a basic http server off of my mac mini with the web sharing feature on OSX you can see it here : ( yes its coded with iWeb I did not get around to custom making a site yet ) http://stevenk.zapto.org ( also am going to buy a domain soon)

anyway thanks for anyone who takes the time to read this huge block of text and answers my questions.

You will be fine, the server will only use a small amount of cpu and
bandwidth to feed the users logging in. The only time I see things
getting bogged down is working, actually working on a LARGE image in
Photoshop or something. Even then I think you'll be okay.
Just try not to do too many things at once and you'll be fine imho.
Watch the system resources ^_^

Let me know if you need any custome made logos or anything
for your site. Just go to my site (in my sig) and fill out a request
form with info on the colors etc that you want.

I do all my design on my Mini, it's newer but they are awesome little
buggers. I have quite a bit of experience in the server side of things,
used to manage an ISP.

gatepc
Feb 23, 2010, 08:43 PM
You will be fine, the server will only use a small amount of cpu and
bandwidth to feed the users logging in. The only time I see things
getting bogged down is working, actually working on a LARGE image in
Photoshop or something. Even then I think you'll be okay.
Just try not to do too many things at once and you'll be fine imho.
Watch the system resources ^_^

Let me know if you need any custome made logos or anything
for your site. Just go to my site (in my sig) and fill out a request
form with info on the colors etc that you want.

I do all my design on my Mini, it's newer but they are awesome little
buggers. I have quite a bit of experience in the server side of things,
used to manage an ISP.

Thanks for the offer on graphic design but I will probably do it myself when I get the chance. I only know html right now but I plan on using this as a learning experience so I can study css javascript etc

thats an interesting job you had, what did you have to do at your job? ( just interested ) lucky for me my ISP's TOS allow for personal web servers. My ISP ( Time warner ) must hate me, my average monthly bandwidth based on 7 months of data collected on my router that runs the tomato firmware is around 450gb's a month of transfer haha