Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slakr7555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Ive got a powermac g3 B&W with a 1.1ghz processor upgrade that recently stopped booting. it will load the gray apple page then the screen goes black. i reset the pram.....but nothing. i tried the button on the logic board...more of the same. cant get it to make it past the apple screen. i thought maybe it was an os crash so i tried to boot from the tiger dvd and it wont boot from optical drive by holding "c" and it wont go into open firmware for me to set it that way. im lost here cuz one of those tricks would have normally fixed the problem. someone out there please help! thanks everyone.

slakr7555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
pram battery was replaced a few months ago. that thought crossed my mind too.

antmo

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
try removing all the non-essential cards and peripherals and one ram module (or pairs/swapping in each configuration) at a time... friend of mine kept having strange problems with not booting/shutting down intermittently and replaced all sorts of stuff trying to narrow it down... turned out to be a bad external $15 usb sd card reader he left plugged-in all the time. he took it out and hasn't had a problem since... go figure :)

slakr7555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
odd....... i removed a kvm switch and that was it. i had it hooked up to the kvm so i could run both the mac and a pc off the same monitor. got rid of the pc so the mac was sittin on the kvm by itself and that must have messed it up. big ole shoulder shrug on this one i guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.