Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
With the push for gaming on the Touch/iPhone and now IPad, Mac gamers could see a resurgence in the game market. The iPad is the critical link to make it happen, beacuse of it's increased screen size. Gaming on a small screen phone is different than on a larger device - better graphics, more involved game play and features will be expected on a device whose screen is roughly equivalent to a small laptop. As games evolve and become more complex, it's a natural progression to move them to desktops and laptops - the detail and game play is there, keyboards open up new capabilities - and companies expand the customer base with the potential for greater revenue and profits.

Of course, there is the slight issue of OS compatibility - but that can be solved with a decent simulator; one is already available as pat of the SDK - it could be expanded to create a delivery mechanism for iPad games, and the iPad OS could eventually encompass Mac capabilities such as screen resolution as well.

Apple would open up a new market for games via iTunes as a distribution model based on the existing one.

Not saying it will happen, but I find it an intriguing possibility.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
iPad games ≠ Mac Games. The iPad is a tablet, Macs are computers.

Well, if you look at some of the games on the iPhone they are pretty indistinguishable from Mac games. As for tablet vs computer I'd say the line is pretty fuzzy.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Many of the tools over lap, and developers that know iPhone OS can easily make software for Mac OS.

However the app store proved to be a larger market than computers at least for now.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

First one is correct, second one is wrong. Tablets are computers by every definition, just as laptops are computers. The only difference is the form of it. The second comparison should be that iPad is a multi-touch OS whereas the Mac is the desktop OS with keyboard/mouse interaction. It's two different ways of developing games that does not encourage one to develop for the other. You can't port iPad games directly to Macs and expect it to work.

As long as Apple continues with the crappy graphic cards in their computers, the gaming may not take off like people think it would. We barely have OpenGL 3.x support in Snow Leopard.

Although Valve's Steam is more of a catalyst than the iPad. If they do port the Source and Steamworks engine to Mac OS, expect that as a major game changer for the Macs.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
First one is correct, second one is wrong. Tablets are computers by every definition, just as laptops are computers. The only difference is the form of it. The second comparison should be that iPad is a multi-touch OS whereas the Mac is the desktop OS with keyboard/mouse interaction. It's two different ways of developing games that does not encourage one to develop for the other. You can't port iPad games directly to Macs and expect it to work.

While I agree with you in general; a number of games attempt to replicate the mouse / keys paradigm via tilt or on screen swipes and on screen buttons. Look at it from the reverse - games original came out for PCs and consoles and developers revamped interfaces to keep the same gameplay but on a tilt / touch device. I think going back to the old input paradigm would not be taht big of a jump; and results in the best of both worlds.

*IF* (and that's a big if) Apple would decide to go this route they could design the OSX iPad "translator" to accept equivalent mouse / keypad input to replace tilt / touch. I think consistency of interface would be important; so different games behave in the same way to inputs.

As long as Apple continues with the crappy graphic cards in their computers, the gaming may not take off like people think it would. We barely have OpenGL 3.x support in Snow Leopard.

Although Valve's Steam is more of a catalyst than the iPad. If they do port the Source and Steamworks engine to Mac OS, expect that as a major game changer for the Macs.

True; though I think the real need is for very fast graphics rendition rather than more color depth and pixels for most games.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
We've had iPhone games for how long now, and that hasn't really affected the state of Mac gaming. And combined that iPhone/iPod Touch are probably going to sell ten fold what the iPad will. Personally I just don't see iPad gaming having any impact at all on Mac gaming.

Steam for Mac. Now that could do great things for Mac gaming.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
With the push for gaming on the Touch/iPhone and now IPad, Mac gamers could see a resurgence in the game market.

Of course, there is the slight issue of OS compatibility ...

Apple would open up a new market for games via iTunes as a distribution model based on the existing one.

Not saying it will happen, but I find it an intriguing possibility.

I doubt it. The iPad has a console-like character: ONE very clearly defined hardware configuration with ONE fully DRMed distribution channel with ZERO administration deployment.

If you've been following the developments, then you know that consoles have already successfully killed PC gaming and the big studios love it.

The studios will be all over the iPad, just as they are all over the iPhone and the iPod Touch, but as you might notice, so far almost none of those iPhone game developers have produced anything noteworthy for the Mac.

So, no, the iPad will be regarded as a mobile console and it might be successful. But no matter how successful it will be, the Mac gaming scene won't benefit from it.

The Mac platform will become for the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad what the Lisa was for the first Mac: A decaying development platform for the new sibling that is quickly becoming obsolete and will completely disappear once the new kid is big enough.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Though there is differences between the two, one thing that seems odd is how iPhone/iPod Touch seem to get games at alarming rates compared to the more stagnant Mac gaming library. Yes, the same overall kit is used to make both, but developers literally jumped on the iPhone development.

Heck, even strategy games like Tower Defense seem to be outnumbered when you compare Mac to iPhone. Problem is, it seems that having this thriving community of developers, all with XCode, all with Mac running XCode; it's hardly made a difference on the support of Mac games. One would think it would take very little to utilize their knowledge to make Mac native programs.

As one said before, I think Steam will have a larger effect.

Though there is differences between the two, one thing that seems odd is how iPhone/iPod Touch seem to get games at alarming rates compared to the more stagnant Mac gaming library. Yes, the same overall kit is used to make both, but developers literally jumped on the iPhone development.
Probably because hand held devices are more suited to casual gaming, with games that typically need much shorter development times & are much cheaper to make. Porting popular PC games over to Mac takes considerably more resources. Just ask Feral about all that was involved in doing a proper native port of Rome: Total War.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.