Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slobber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
Hello Everyone

I own a white Macbook 3.1 (2.2GHz, 4GB Ram, SL 10.6.2) and starting since a few days back, it keeps acting up. The screen will go dark (not black, just as if the backlight was broken) or shut down randomly. Sometimes it even takes multiple tries to start it up.

Now, I tried resetting the SMC and zapping the PRAM. I ran multiple RAM tests and there seems to be no problem with the ram. I readjusted the inverter, checked that all cables are properly fixed and in place.
But the problem persists.

Starting up in verbose mode yields a mysterious "Invalid firmware max backlight setting". I tried restoring the firmware from CD, but that didn't work as well (or at least didn't give any results).

I'm really confused as to what might cause the problem, because I can use the laptop for a random period of time after I started it up or woke it from sleep before the mentioned problems appear. Position of the laptop or movement doesn't seem to cause the problems (no loose wires).

If the logic board would be broken/defective I wouldn't be able to use the laptop at all, right?
Maybe the inverter is defective?
What would my best option be? Laptop is out of warranty for over 2 years now.

Thanks for any responses.
- Slobber

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.