PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac G5 RAM

c2kvette
Aug 31, 2004, 09:00 PM
I have ordered a new dual 1.8 G5 and want to upgrade the RAM to 1GB. What brand should I get and where is the best place to purchase it.

Thanks!

vraxtus
Aug 31, 2004, 09:13 PM
I have ordered a new dual 1.8 G5 and want to upgrade the RAM to 1GB. What brand should I get and where is the best place to purchase it.

Thanks!

Search for RAM on these boards... maybe you'd have found an answer to this question before you needed to post it...

homerjward
Aug 31, 2004, 09:17 PM

Thanks!
haven't bought ram in awhile but the consensus on these boards seems to be www.crucial.com. they do have a configurator thing that lets you tell them your computer and they'll tell you compatible ram. good prices too (ive been searching for cheap ram lately)

c2kvette
Sep 1, 2004, 08:25 AM
Crucial is not cheap. When I priced the G5 Apple will put a 1GB of RAM in it at a lower price than crucial.

h0tk4rl
Sep 1, 2004, 09:59 AM
I just recently putchase 1GB (2x512) crucial memory for $190 for my home and work computers. Have never had a problem in the past with crucial memory and no signs of troubles with my macs.

Edit: it's $225 for 1GB from apple but I think they take your 256 out where as my $190 got me 1.25GB.

boxerchip
Sep 1, 2004, 12:28 PM
I personially feel that seing as ram is one of the most important parts of the PC as far as being reliable and speedy its extreeemly important.

Corsair is the best ram you can get as far as im concerned, and they make the XMS model that has 2 sticks BUILT to fit together and work faster. They make GREAT ram and ive never had a problem with them so if you have the money go to www.zipzoomfly.com and get some.

FuzzyBallz
Sep 1, 2004, 01:46 PM
Corsair's the best RAM... yeah, that's before Crucial came out w/ the Ballistix series and bitch slapped all the other memory companies that don't even make their own RAM. Besides, why the hell do you need to waste money on OCer RAM like Corsair XMS Twin Pack when Macs only use the slower CAS3 RAM? The BIOS will probably just change the the Corsair 2-2-2-5 timing back to 3-4-4-8 anyway.

boxerchip
Sep 1, 2004, 03:43 PM
lol oh... I dident know they did that... would they actully do it? anyone?