PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy I & II out NOW!

realph
Feb 24, 2010, 11:46 PM
The classics are available now!

http://bitthirsty.com/final-fantasy-i-ii-now-available-on-the-app-store

PrinceAvalon
Feb 25, 2010, 12:15 AM
Good to know, maybe I'll get them considering the only old console I have that still works is a Nintendo lol and even then it rarely works so....

ajnicho
Feb 25, 2010, 02:27 AM
Would love to see FF7. Now that's a classic.

MadGoat
Feb 25, 2010, 07:05 AM
I've only been waiting for this since the app store opened. all the RPG clones out there were getting boring, not even any decent turn based rpgs. this however, is what I've been really wanting.

Gokunama
Feb 25, 2010, 07:59 AM
Got 'em both! The first is a true classic, and it was the first rpg I played with my best friend at age 11. Nostalgia.

My true favorites are Final Fantasy 6 (3 in North America) and 7. Hoping for those, as well as Final Fantasy Tactics (always heard it was great, but never had a chance to play it). Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana would definitely be two that I'd replay.

txa1265
Feb 25, 2010, 09:26 AM
$9 each ... uggh ... I was hoping for Apple pricing rather than typical Sony gouging ...

It translated nicely onto the PSP via PSN (as did FF VII). Each of those are $9.99 ... but *huge*

NightStorm
Feb 25, 2010, 09:31 AM
$9 each ... uggh ... I was hoping for Apple pricing rather than typical Sony gouging ...

It translated nicely onto the PSP via PSN (as did FF VII). Each of those are $9.99 ... but *huge*

When did $9 become such a huge amount of money? This price is in-line with what they've charged on every other platform. The iTunes model is not sustainable for large projects if everything is sold for $.99.

:confused:

txa1265
Feb 25, 2010, 10:06 AM
When did $9 become such a huge amount of money? This price is in-line with what they've charged on every other platform. The iTunes model is not sustainable for large projects if everything is sold for $.99.

I know what you are saying, and agree that for new games it is a poison business model as it has had a widespread devaluation effect ... but I am talking about THESE games within that micro-economy.

For 22 year old games that have clearly made their money and only needed to be ported to adapt the PSP control system to the touch screen, I would have set a reasonable price at $4.99 each. There was *NO* 'development' investment at all.

Vandam500
Feb 25, 2010, 10:19 AM
I know what you are saying, and agree that for new games it is a poison business model as it has had a widespread devaluation effect ... but I am talking about THESE games within that micro-economy.

For 22 year old games that have clearly made their money and only needed to be ported to adapt the PSP control system to the touch screen, I would have set a reasonable price at $4.99 each. There was *NO* 'development' investment at all.

No development investment? The game didn't get ported over by itself nor was it configured to work with all the different iDevices along with the different OS's and what not. Of course there is a development investment, its not like copying text from Wikipedia onto Microsoft Word;).

txa1265
Feb 25, 2010, 11:12 AM
The game didn't get ported over by itself nor was it configured to work with all the different iDevices along with the different OS's and what not.

Did you even READ my post - or was that just reactionary? ;) I put 'development' in quotes as I was implying that these are 22 year old games (not up for debate, I hope), that had their last actual changes of substance when the GBA ports were released in 2004. Even the PSP ports only had graphical retouches ... but that is more than what was done this time around.

Of *course* there is development work - heck, even the simplest of ports (cider, for example) requires non-trivial coding and quality control work. However, given the number of times these games have been sold and resold, it certainly seems that it could have been on the lower end. I mean, look at Plants vs. Zombies for $2.99!

uncleSmurf
Feb 25, 2010, 10:39 PM
I downloaded the first one, I've been waiting forever for a FF game to be released. Awesomeness.

MadGoat
Feb 25, 2010, 11:15 PM
Welp, I splurged and bought the second one this evening . damn I love it.

Michael CM1
Feb 26, 2010, 01:21 AM

+1

People have got to stop bickering over App Store prices when stuff isn't 99 cents. Most games for the DS and PSP, even classic titles, will run you $15-20. Even Virtual Console games for Wii run you $5 for NES titles.

Vandam500
Feb 26, 2010, 06:58 AM
Welp, I splurged and bought the second one this evening . damn I love it.

Game is hard as hell...how in the world do we buy more items...!!! Grrrr low on hp

MadGoat
Feb 26, 2010, 09:03 AM
Game is hard as hell...how in the world do we buy more items...!!! Grrrr low on hp
I can't seem to get very far in FF2 I seem to find high end mobs just a short walk from the main city.

Still fun as hell

mtlscream
Feb 26, 2010, 10:31 AM
Bought FF1 and FF2 last night... WOW so fun :) Just like the PSP version :)

But i have many issues....

For FF1 and FF2: Is there a way to target more than one enemy wit a spell like we do on the psp version of it ???

When i tried to play my FFII this am, it was all in japanese.... WTF ???
What should i do ???

txa1265
Feb 26, 2010, 10:48 AM
The iTunes model is not sustainable for large projects if everything is sold for $.99.

Actually, I *COMPLETELY* agree with this ... I have written a couple of articles for GearDiary where I talk about how I hate the iApp business model and how it cheapens everything else.

I mean, I wonder how much it cost to *PORT* a game like Final Fantasy or Plants vs. Zombies to the iPhone OS & Touch System and other considerations. How many copies would it take to 'break even'.

NOW ... look at original IP ... how could you POSSIBLY manage to do a direct develop for the platform?

THAT is why the iPhone / iPod Touch will never be a first rate gaming platform.

akm3
Feb 26, 2010, 11:18 AM

Bah, FF6 was the pinnacle :)

roudy000
Feb 26, 2010, 11:27 AM
True.

VI was one of the best RPG i've ever played.

txa1265
Feb 26, 2010, 11:33 AM

Definitely agree - love the GBA version of that ... wish they would bring it to PSP / PSN / iTunes ...

rotlex
Feb 26, 2010, 12:02 PM
Purchased FFI this morning and can't stop playing it. I cannot believe how well this game\these games have held up over the years!

MadGoat
Feb 26, 2010, 12:08 PM
Purchased FFI this morning and can't stop playing it. I cannot believe how well this game\these games have held up over the years!

I totally agree... They had a winning formula that still holds true.

Gokunama
Feb 26, 2010, 12:31 PM
Actually, I *COMPLETELY* agree with this ... I have written a couple of articles for GearDiary where I talk about how I hate the iApp business model and how it cheapens everything else.

I mean, I wonder how much it cost to *PORT* a game like Final Fantasy or Plants vs. Zombies to the iPhone OS & Touch System and other considerations. How many copies would it take to 'break even'.

NOW ... look at original IP ... how could you POSSIBLY manage to do a direct develop for the platform?

THAT is why the iPhone / iPod Touch will never be a first rate gaming platform.

Eventually people will realize that good games, including ports, require that the developers or porters break more than even. I look forward to that day, when quality games make it to the iDevice (that's not to say that there aren't some great games for very reasonable prices, but rather to say that we could get a much greater variety of quality games if we were willing to pay to make it a worthy undertaking for the developers).

MadGoat
Feb 26, 2010, 12:43 PM
Eventually people will realize that good games, including ports, require that the developers or porters break more than even. I look forward to that day, when quality games make it to the iDevice (that's not to say that there aren't some great games for very reasonable prices, but rather to say that we could get a much greater variety of quality games if we were willing to pay to make it a worthy undertaking for the developers).

If it's as popular as that zombies eat plants game that was released a week ago(made 1 million in sales in a week), they will break even by the end of the month.

That being said, I'm sure they could lower their prices to $5 and break more than even.

Lara F
Feb 26, 2010, 03:58 PM

Agree! Though I'll always have the softest spot for FF4. :) I have it for the DS, but I can't wait for an iPhone version...hope it gets ported soon!

Vandam500
Feb 26, 2010, 04:49 PM
I can't seem to get very far in FF2 I seem to find high end mobs just a short walk from the main city.

Still fun as hell

Have you figured it out yet :p

MadGoat
Feb 26, 2010, 05:44 PM
Have you figured it out yet :p

yeah ... I got the ring :p

Vandam500
Feb 26, 2010, 05:57 PM
yeah ... I got the ring :p

Dude what ring..haha. I got to the village and bought potions and stuff, cool. Then when I get out 3 big guys do 120+hp of damage to me on each hit...I only have 30hp on each person, what gives!! Arghhhhhhhh

MadGoat
Feb 26, 2010, 06:16 PM
Dude what ring..haha. I got to the village and bought potions and stuff, cool. Then when I get out 3 big guys do 120+hp of damage to me on each hit...I only have 30hp on each person, what gives!! Arghhhhhhhh

Go north to that little village rest up then go west across the bridge and go north then east around the lake. there's a big castle there.

Vandam500
Feb 26, 2010, 06:39 PM
Go north to that little village rest up then go west across the bridge and go north then east around the lake. there's a big castle there.

Will do! Thanks:)

Dorv
Feb 28, 2010, 01:48 PM
Ok, can anyone clue me in on how to equip weapons? Somehow, the first weapons I purchased are equiped, but now that I've leveled up more, and purchased more, I can't seem to change. All my guys are at L10, but still using knieves despite the Broadsword I bought for my warrior.

Michael CM1
Mar 1, 2010, 02:23 AM
Agree! Though I'll always have the softest spot for FF4. :) I have it for the DS, but I can't wait for an iPhone version...hope it gets ported soon!

I got confused a few days ago when I saw the screenshots of FF2 and noticed it wasn't the game I was thinking about. A little Wikipedia told me that the version I played was FF2 in the US but technically FF4. I got my hopes up when it was listed as on the Virtual Console by Wikipedia, but only in Japan. DAMN YOU, JAPAN!

I'm debating whether I should get FF1 and see what it's like. Any recommendation? I'm not a huge RPG nerd, but I did like FF2/4 a long time ago.

akm3
Mar 1, 2010, 05:18 PM
I got confused a few days ago when I saw the screenshots of FF2 and noticed it wasn't the game I was thinking about. A little Wikipedia told me that the version I played was FF2 in the US but technically FF4. I got my hopes up when it was listed as on the Virtual Console by Wikipedia, but only in Japan. DAMN YOU, JAPAN!

I'm debating whether I should get FF1 and see what it's like. Any recommendation? I'm not a huge RPG nerd, but I did like FF2/4 a long time ago.

It's one of the games that set RPG cliches that have been copied and copied and copied.

So if you play it, you will feel like you are playing a bad copy of bad RPG's.

That said, it's a classic.

I think these are more for people who played and loved the original games, not to attract new gamers, imho. It's for us old farts who hate today's games...for being prettied up derivatives of what we played as kids.

Michael CM1
Mar 1, 2010, 06:52 PM
It's one of the games that set RPG cliches that have been copied and copied and copied.

So if you play it, you will feel like you are playing a bad copy of bad RPG's.

That said, it's a classic.

I think these are more for people who played and loved the original games, not to attract new gamers, imho. It's for us old farts who hate today's games...for being prettied up derivatives of what we played as kids.

Well I played FF2/4 when it came out as I mentioned. I don't even remember why. I think I may have borrowed it from a friend. But I liked the neat story and I vaguely recall it being very fun. I LOVE Zelda: Twilight Princess, and it seems to be very similar except for the turn-by-turn aspect.

I'm also not one to poo-poo old games. I have bought a lot of old games on the Wii Virtual Console. I got sick of computer games for a LONG time because everything seemed to be the same. There were 1,500 first-person shooters and 20,000 RPGs. The fact that most of the games I buy are sports games and updated versions of series (Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii), I like originality much much more.

I have no idea where I'm going with this. It's hard to know whether I'd like the game without playing it. I was burned BADLY with NCAA Football 09 for Wii, so I have been ultra-hesitant at buying most anything since then. It's only $9, but I don't want to spend $9 on something I will totally hate in five minutes.

Knowlege Bomb
Mar 4, 2010, 07:39 PM
Anybody have an updated opinion of these? I'm almost finished with Mega Man 2 and will be looking for another classic shortly.

I played FF7 a couple of times years ago so I know I like the turn based RPG system. Just wondering if it's worth the $9.

MadGoat
Mar 4, 2010, 07:53 PM
Anybody have an updated opinion of these? I'm almost finished with Mega Man 2 and will be looking for another classic shortly.

I played FF7 a couple of times years ago so I know I like the turn based RPG system. Just wondering if it's worth the $9.

It's very much worth the $9 I actually bought both ... If you had to pick one, get FF 2

Knowlege Bomb
Mar 4, 2010, 07:59 PM
It's very much worth the $9 I actually bought both ... If you had to pick one, get FF 2

Did you have any issues with the language changing on you?

MadGoat
Mar 4, 2010, 11:41 PM

I've been playing since release, neither have changed on me. *knock on wood*

Abyssgh0st
Mar 4, 2010, 11:51 PM
I bought this when it had like 120 reviews on the App Store.. I was ecstatic!

Thiol
Mar 5, 2010, 12:14 AM

This was an awesome trip down memory lane. In a hours of fun per dollar analysis, it's definitely worth it!

txa1265
Mar 5, 2010, 07:35 AM

I searched that out ... the only thing I could find is that Final Fantasy is one of those games that uses whatever language setting is on your phone ... so while I couldn't find any actual evidence of 'language changing' as an issue - not even perusing the first 5-6 pages of 'most critical' iTunes 'reviews' - some interaction with an app that does change languages might cause issues.

Nermal
Apr 22, 2010, 10:00 PM
I downloaded FF1 a few weeks ago and have been playing it off and on since then (I'm about 7 hours in). Today I started it up and I only have New Game on the main menu; Load and Resume are missing. Has that happened to anyone else? I've rebooted my iPod to no effect.

Edit: My saved games managed to delete themselves :confused:
I restored from this morning's backup and didn't lose much progress.

myoldwatermill
Apr 23, 2010, 01:46 AM
Dies anyone have either of them for the iPad? How do they look? Any complaints with the pixel doubling?

txa1265
Apr 23, 2010, 05:07 AM
Dies anyone have either of them for the iPad? How do they look? Any complaints with the pixel doubling?

Mine is scheduled to arrive today ... will let you know!

myoldwatermill
Apr 23, 2010, 09:38 PM
Excellent, can't wait to hear how it goes!

LSUtigers03
Apr 23, 2010, 09:47 PM

I have the first game. It looks great on the iPad. When it's doubled it looks like it does on the iPhone just bigger no complaints here.

Dillenger
Apr 23, 2010, 11:22 PM
6.99 at the App store now.

myoldwatermill
Apr 24, 2010, 02:29 AM
Okay looks like I am going to have to pull the trigger on this baby.

MacBOS
Apr 24, 2010, 02:42 AM
the only thing i don't like is having to tap everyone to fight 1 with a hp of like 30 that sucks

CaptainChunk
Apr 24, 2010, 02:59 AM
While FF7 is a classic in its own right, FF6 (FF3 for original US SNES release) was the last of the last of the true classic FF games in my mind. Out of all of the FF games, that's the one I always find myself going back to play, along with FF4 and Chrono Trigger. Perhaps it's nostalgia.

myoldwatermill
Apr 24, 2010, 03:00 AM
I was in the fence with nova, then saw this. Now I am on the fence with this, because I just read a bunch of reviews on it.

Bah, no Idea what I wana do. Seven dollars is still seven dollars.

Edit I have decided to get Knights of Phantom Castle instead of either games.

I might do a review.

txa1265
Apr 24, 2010, 08:39 AM
I have the first game. It looks great on the iPad. When it's doubled it looks like it does on the iPhone just bigger no complaints here.

Completely agree - there are some things (like Facebook) that look like absolute crap ... FF 1 & 2 look very nice. Not full rez like Sam & Max or Plants vs. Zombies HD .. but very much acceptable!

nightfly13
Mar 20, 2011, 11:25 AM
My grievance from FFI (which led to me only playing it through 7-8 times not 20-30) was how if you told a character to attach a certain enemy - and that enemy was dead when their turn came - they'd just waggle their sword and do nothing.

Is the iOS interface better? If so, I'm ready to spend the money.

nightfly13
Mar 30, 2011, 09:02 AM
In answering my own question from 10 days ago - yes the UI is smarter. No more waggling of swords toward recently-deceased enemies - they auto-target other enemies. I do wish the UI was even easier - some 'everyone attack' button for the majority of the fights that don't require great strategic planning for who kills which monster.

The experience in iPad is pretty good. Not sure I'd be so enthusiastic about playing on iPhone. There aren't many games that I like when they're 'stretched' but 8-bit graphics fair quite well.

BTW they're on sale till tomorrow. I got mine for $4 I think, 56% off.