Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
I just got my cable out of the wash - 20mins - having left it in my trouser pocket - doh!

Anyone with experience of this? Will it be ok? I dont want to use it if there is a risk that my iPhone will get damaged with the old electricity running through it..... :confused:

Im leaving it near the radiator for the next day or two and after that ill make a decision... i could take it to the apple store and ask them to check it with 'test' phone or something...

If anyone has any advice - much appreciated.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
I just got my cable out of the wash - 20mins - having left it in my trouser pocket - doh!

Anyone with experience of this? Will it be ok? I dont want to use it if there is a risk that my iPhone will get damaged with the old electricity running through it..... :confused:

Im leaving it near the radiator for the next day or two and after that ill make a decision... i could take it to the apple store and ask them to check it with 'test' phone or something...

If anyone has any advice - much appreciated.

they are very cheap I would not risk it! just toss it and get a new one!

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010
this might sound stupid

but throw it in the dryer

ive had 3 pairs of headphones go through the washer and dryer ( they get really tangled afterwards)

best case scenario they dry up and the cable is not tangled

normal situation is that they will dry safely but they will be tangled

worst case scenario, they are dry but at least it wont damage your iphone

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Im going to try it in a few days... maybe end of next week

In the mean time i have a cable for a 3g (bros, mines 2g) Im pretty sure they are all interchangeable / universal fits - but can someone confirm?......

thanks

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Im going to try it in a few days... maybe end of next week

In the mean time i have a cable for a 3g (bros, mines 2g) Im pretty sure they are all interchangeable / universal fits - but can someone confirm?......

thanks

In that case, just switch cables with your bro. ;)

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
I wouldnt do that :rolleyes:

And they are different anyway - the bit that connects with iphone is fat/deeper and has pads each side that are slightly squeezable (help unhook from iphone). Mine is thin.

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
I wouldnt do that :rolleyes:

And they are different anyway - the bit that connects with iphone is fat/deeper and has pads each side that are slightly squeezable (help unhook from iphone). Mine is thin.
:eek:
just an older version of the same wire. They do the same thing.

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Thanks. Been charging for last 45 mins - i was 99% sure it was the same. Ill report back in a few days after i try the newly washed cable!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you break your phone with a faulty cable, you may not be able to get a new phone (unless you pay for it). The best way is to just buy a cable for $10 or something (even if it's third-party).

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
ummm

just a thought there is a water sensor right near where you plug it in! a drop of water hits it! no warrenty for you sir! ;) I would buy a new cord. they are so cheap on ebay.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
You guys are crazy. As long as you've let it dry long enough, and there are no visible damages to the protective covering on the wire, it'll be just fine. If it is frayed at all, take it to apple for a replacement, assuming your warranty is still good.

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Im borrowing a cable so there is no rush for me to use the washed cable. Its sitting on the floor under the radiator so itll get a steady drying for a good week.

Im probably going to use it next week sometime. Ill use a blow dryer from a distance for a few minutes nearer the time for a final drying - but with the way the cable is built i doubt it is or was saturated with water anyway.....

Its a 2yr old 2G iphone so there is no warranty (still looks brand new & better than the 3G with its plastic back!!!! :p).

I have thought about buying a cable to be super safe, as spending between 5-10 pounds is affordable where as £300+ for a new iphone isnt.

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
I started using the washed cable today and its fine as far as i can tell - it syncs and it charges...... got apple store to try it and it worked there first... :)

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I have a stain on one of my cables, maybe i should throw it in the washer :D

Dishwasher would get it cleaner. :rolleyes:

You guys are crazy. As long as you've let it dry long enough, and there are no visible damages to the protective covering on the wire, it'll be just fine. If it is frayed at all, take it to apple for a replacement, assuming your warranty is still good.

+1.

I started using the washed cable today and its fine as far as i can tell - it syncs and it charges...... got apple store to try it and it worked there first... :)

As expected. Now you have a pretty cable.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Pardon me if this was mentioned but...

RICE is the solution. 1-2 days in a bowl of raw rice and it'll be 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.