PDA

View Full Version : linksys router help! Mac working fine...windows, not so much

debo
Aug 31, 2004, 11:09 PM
Ok, I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router that worked fine all summer at my house with both my airport extreme card and my old pc's 802.11b card. Now I'm at school in an apartment and the Mac still holds the connection all the time. But my friends pc's are dropping connections every 5 minutes. At home there was only my wireless network but here there are about 5 of them. Any idea what could cause this or how to fix it?

superbovine
Sep 1, 2004, 05:56 AM
Ok, I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router that worked fine all summer at my house with both my airport extreme card and my old pc's 802.11b card. Now I'm at school in an apartment and the Mac still holds the connection all the time. But my friends pc's are dropping connections every 5 minutes. At home there was only my wireless network but here there are about 5 of them. Any idea what could cause this or how to fix it?

you say drop, is your friends pc reconnecting to a network signal that is stronger? Your'll have to check the pc on another wifi router to see if it is pc related or the router itself.

Use macstumbler and check the channels of the wifi, and make sure that is on a different channel. 1,6,11 are the non overlapping channels.

http://www.macstumbler.com/

debo
Sep 1, 2004, 08:29 AM
They are just disconnecting all together. I mean then they are connected to nothing and it says you can view a list of wireless networks, and mine is still shown, but then if you try to connect to mine, nothing happens.

emw
Sep 1, 2004, 08:40 AM
They are just disconnecting all together. I mean then they are connected to nothing and it says you can view a list of wireless networks, and mine is still shown, but then if you try to connect to mine, nothing happens.

So have they connected and then they get disconnected, or are they completely unable to connect? While you were at home, were there any security settings (such as MAC address filtering) on that may impact the PC's ability to connect?

If they are seeing your network, it doesn't sound like a pure communications issue, so I'd look to security settings first. I'm not at home to look at my Linksys settings, but the manual may tell you something else to look for as well.

debo
Sep 1, 2004, 09:57 AM
No, they can connect, but then after 5 minutes are so get disconnected, often at the same time. All the while, the Mac stays connected. It's WEP 128, but they have the key.

I wasn't braodcasting my ssid at first but I started to last night to see if it would help. Not sure if it has or not since I'm at work now.

boxerchip
Sep 1, 2004, 12:25 PM
could be **** from other peoples net works interfearing with your router... try changing the signal it runs on or incrypt it. so only your computers can read it.... that may fix it. or it could just be interfearance how close is the router to the computer?

OldManJimbo
Sep 1, 2004, 12:28 PM
debo - I have had great experiences with the tech people at Linksys - you should give them a call. Better yet - use their on-line chat application. You'll need to be IE or Netscape, the chat function doesn't work with Safari (dumb). The on-line assistants are very patient and have always been able to help me through the problem. Good luck.

wPod
Sep 1, 2004, 12:41 PM
try changing the channel. im guessing there is interference with the other routers in the area. also try upgrading the firmware on the wifi cards on the windows machines. i had trouble with one of my roommates connecting to my linksys router and it worked once upgraded. the other roommate still has trouble, he will only detect my network when the SSID is broadcast, which i dont like doing, but everytime he gets off my network he could never find when he returned with the SSID broadcast off. i dont know, windows machines just kinda stink, tell them to get apples!