Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boxerchip

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
VA
Seing as im EXTTTTTREEEMLY new to apple and ive always been a PC person, I was wondering if there is anywhere that sells G5 mods... clear windows lights ETC...

Anyone done anything to their G5? if so post some pics :)

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
You could do all this stuff by hand, but as far as I know tehre isnt much room in that case for much modding. The whole ssytem is deesigned for maximum airflow so tampering with the design
1) will void the warranty
2) may cause permanent component damage due to a disruption in the system's overall cooling mechanism.

Plus, its so beautiful, why tamper with it like those PC case modders do with theirs? We do things differently in the Mac world. Low level case mods like windows and lights really just seem childish. If youre going to mod an Apple, its gotta be big for it to look good.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
g53.jpg

From http://forums.kustompcs.co.uk/.

boxerchip

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
VA
I personially feel that a dull deep blue cold cathode on the bottem of the case with a well done class window would show off the inside of a mac really well, they look sooo nice to start with, why cover that up?

Edit:

And im sure that would not void anything... its not like they could tell you had a light hooked up.... nore would it hurt it.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Yes, I like to show off my G5 PM so much, I put it in a fish tank w/ multi-color CCR duct taped all over the sides of the fish tank and G5, then I put it in a closet w/ a mini disco ball on the ceiling. It looks so nice.

Nspace

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Plus, its so beautiful, why tamper with it like those PC case modders do with theirs? We do things differently in the Mac world. Low level case mods like windows and lights really just seem childish. If youre going to mod an Apple, its gotta be big for it to look good.

Speak for yourself, not for us all just because we are using the same type of computer...I think Mac's can look great modded, can add a bit of personality to your computer so it dosn't look exactly like everyone else with the same computer. I am sure I have seen G5's with windows on them at a printing trade show once. I also highly doubt a window and a cathode is going to alter the airflow very much if at all.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Could you put those small chistmas lights in the holes? Have anyone done this? Just wondering! Would look cool I think, just like a starry night. you should have that screensaver to make it complete! :D

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
Leave it alone! its been designed to look good so why add to it? put a desktop on it if you like but why would you try to vandalize good product design? :eek:

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
i think the inside of the g5 is beautiful and would certainly
love to show mine off... if i had one...

the green lights are cooler than the blue ones which
are kinda played out...

i would love to see RED... mmmmm...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.