Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RudyC310

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
Funny I have been waiting for the new imac for a month now anticipating this mornings news. Wow, that looks like the one I am building for myself. I can't tell you how funny it feels. Anyways, I gutted an old G3 ibook 466 and wanted to make something more useful for myself. I loved the new monitor design and wanted that for myself without spending the money to get one, so I designed my own IMac style computer and designed it after the monitor. I blew some LED's on the motherboard and have to replace them to get my system running again, so I put it on hold for a few weeks. I am glad apple made the imac the way it is now, I was really liking my desig and glad everyone can have it. Anyways, I just had to post because when I saw it this morning I just couldn't get over the similarities. Have a mac day!

mac1.jpg

mac2.jpg

mac3.jpg

mac4.jpg

mac5.jpg

mac6.jpg

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
Wow, I can appreciate that. Good work. It's simple, sturdy, clean, and unique and all your own. It has a real "hand-crafted" look which I think is awesome.

Are you going to finish the sides where the ports are located with a piece of metal to make it closed off?

RudyC310

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
sorryiwasdreami said:
Wow, I can appreciate that. Good work. It's simple, sturdy, clean, and unique and all your own. It has a real "hand-crafted" look which I think is awesome.

Are you going to finish the sides where the ports are located with a piece of metal to make it closed off?

Sorry the pics are so early, I was not intending to show it so early but since apple showed theirs I wanted to show mine so people can't say I just copied the new imac. the final finish will be bead blasted and matte cleared so it will look like the new apple displays. I will also make the sides out of clear acrylic with white backing to represent the new monitors as well. I will post again when I am done, Here is my inspiration
specstop06282004.jpg

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
I actually like yours better. I would have rather had the extra space on the side, as yours has, instead of that huge space on the bottom, like the new iMac.

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
RudyC310 said:
Sorry the pics are so early, I was not intending to show it so early but since apple showed theirs I wanted to show mine so people can't say I just copied the new imac. the final finish will be bead blasted and matte cleared so it will look like the new apple displays. I will also make the sides out of clear acrylic with white backing to represent the new monitors as well. I will post again when I am done, Here is my inspiration

Good plans; it sounds like you have a background and metalworking talent that should certainly be put to uses such as these. Be sure to post more pics when you are finished!

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Wow, that's amazing! Way to go!

RudyC310, you should get together with this guy and start making some fine lookin' computers for us. :)

I personally prefer your "iMac" to the new one. I like that you've extended the bezel on the sides rather than on the bottom.

Good luck with that ... I'm sure all of us can't wait to see the finished product!

macnemo

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2004
Woot!!! Gd job bro. Hope to see the finished product soon.
All the best.

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
thats seriously impressive, you managed to get it out unharmed! and put it back together? it all works ok? How did you shape or cut out the metal? it looks really smooth and precise?

Golem

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
Sydney,Australia
Nice, Good Job.

But as for why apply have gone vertical instead of Horizontal.

That is a 12/13 inch screen where as apple have 17 and 20 inch.their bases are narrower in proportion and i suspect a 20'' screen with another 2'' of heavy electronics on the sides would be quite susceptible to tipping over. As well they need to get screen itself upto a decent height so if they would have had the center of gravity quite a bit higher particularly as I beleive the bottom part has the power supply etc.

mac4drew

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2003
California
nice work!

What kind of iBook did you get those parts from? Curvy Tangerine/Blueberry, or modern style?

Can't wait to see the final product!

Dalriada

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2004
Moorlough Shore
RudyC310 said:
Wow, I'd buy one of those immediately, call it a ProMac or how ever you like ! Maybe a 20th anniversary model.... :D

Note I posted this image before the Imac came out which was circulating on a French site

Attachments

• fakeornot.jpg
    fakeornot.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 124

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
Extremely Impressed...

RudyC310
I am very impressed with your craftsmanship. I realize that its not quite finished but it is still an impressive piece. I wonder if its possible to do that design with a G4 1.25. I think that I would buy one off of you for that. I think that the new iMac has pushed the limits of an interesting concept but I really think that the massive amount of white space at the bottom is a bit off-putting. Your design is much more 'clean'. Well thought-out and kudos to you for your initiative. (maybe Apple will hire you to be a protege to John Ivie :)
Pete

RudyC310

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
mac4drew said:
nice work!

What kind of iBook did you get those parts from? Curvy Tangerine/Blueberry, or modern style?

Can't wait to see the final product!

The parts are from a graphite Special Edition. I did get all the parts out ok, and it does still work. I do understand why Apple does have all the space on the lower part of the screen and it serves a purpose for them. My screen is only 12" so I just do not have enough screen to fill the edge. The new monitors are widescreen and that 20" is huge. adding more space around it would definately make it long. The extra space has to be for power supply and maybe enen processor location. I left the power supply out of mine because I would have had to make the casing much larger and I didn;t wat that. My case is 1.375 " thick and the new 17"imac is 1.9" and the 20" is 2.2" thick. That is definately too much for my liking. The cooling and space is something they needed I am sure. The components are custom for that computer but are more like tower parts. They are bigger and make more heat. Mine were made for a laptop so they produce less heat and the processor does not dispense as much heat. I turned my motherboard around to face the rear so I could mount a heatsink to the processor and make it touch the rear panel to dispense the heat away from the screen. If there was space below then that would not be a problem. Apple still makes great products and I like seeing that they push the envelope in computer design

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
thats pretty amazing

i can't even begin to imagine how you could do something like that.

so would that thing be easy to upgrade?

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
When I buy I new laptop...I am stealing that idea. Hope you don't mind :D

Seriously, that is awsome. Good job.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.