Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rangerfreak1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
im going crazy here,i have tried for 2 day every which way i could think of to get this to work.iv tried different variations of the fist 8 digits of the serial number as well as the way it is written on the sticker and no luck.i dont believe the logic board has been replaced and when i try to do a serial number lookup on the apple web site nothing comes up with my serial number nor does anything come up on any other mac serial number lookup web sites.is there a way i can retrieve the serial number through terminal since this is a cluster node with no graphics card. im pulling my hair out here since i cant get remote install to accept the password.any ideas

thank you for your time

rangerfreak1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
update:iv been able to get in through ssh with the serial number but i still can get in with the server assistant under the gui interface.i am useing 10.6.2 admin tools trying to access a g4 installing 10.5

rangerfreak1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
figured it out, i was trying to use admin tools 10.6 to admin my g4 server installing 10.5

rangerfreak1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
yes that seemed to be the solution but now the remote install hangs at about 5% completion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.