Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TylerDurden130

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Hi,

I'm thinking about starting a personal blog with photo's of myself, friends and random celebrity photos...

With regards to posting pictures of celebrites online, do I have to purchase those photo's from an agency, or can I just lift them from other websites? Thanks.

TylerDurden130

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Ok thanks for the reply, it just seems that all the celebrity gossip sites all have the same pictures, didn't know how they got them.. do you have any links to the laws or ethic's code regarding this? I just want to cover myself since I'll probably sell advertising on my site eventually. thanks again

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
You'll need to lookup local laws for where you live. It's different everywhere. The US declares everything copyrighted on sites unless otherwise stated. Some celebrities or their agencies offer up royalty free photos that sites can use without worry. Most reputable sites will have a page on their site saying how the images on their site may be used. When in doubt, ask the source.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Ok thanks for the reply, it just seems that all the celebrity gossip sites all have the same pictures, didn't know how they got them.. do you have any links to the laws or ethic's code regarding this? I just want to cover myself since I'll probably sell advertising on my site eventually. thanks again

In the case of those sites, a photographer sells the same photos to multiple sources. More often than not it's the photographer of the photos who holds the rights.

So if you were walking down the street I can snap a photo of you and put it on my site. I believe the exception is that I couldn't use your photo as an endorsement of a product i.e. "TylerDurden130 Loves Website XYZ!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.