Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glay

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
Hi guys,
This is my first post at this forum! Thanks to all your answers I finally made the switch to mac! Everything about macs is awesome! And i'm not just saying that because I bought one! I was really impressed by the stability of this laptop compared to my previous Windows (sorry to use that word in here!) laptop which seemed to enjoy crashing more than anything else.

I only had one major thought which crossed my mind after my purchase was 'should I have held out for the powerbook g5 to be released?' Unfortunately for me when I purchased a 3g ipod the 4g's were annouced a week later and started shipping a few days after that. So I was abit cautious in that respect. Anyway the powerbook is awesome! It looks good and runs good as well! I'm still getting use to OSX, and if you guys could tell me some good key commands to remember that would be great!

Thanks!

PS: Is it worth buying an apple mouse or should i just stick with the trackpad?

PB First Impressions: After finally arriving home I was glad to open the very well designed powerbook box! After going through the the manual at the bottom layer of the box lay the powerbook, untouched! I quickly connected it to the power connector and booted it up! I was suprised to see that Apple had not really installed any ad ware or commerical software! Well none that I was aware of anyway! Getting it connected to the internet was a breeze and took only a few seconds! Its so easy to really customise the desktop to make it feel like your own personalised computer! All in all I was very impressed! It seems like what Apple claim to be, they are. Unlike some other manufacturers I have dealt with in the past! Well done Apple!

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
glay said:
I only had one major thought which crossed my mind after my purchase was 'should I have held out for the powerbook g5 to be released?'

no, because you would be waiting for such a laptop for at least another 6 months, probably more like a year.

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
Congratulations on your wonderful experience! I too was converted on a powerbook... they are pristine machines that just work... I used my Ti800mhz for two years straight... never turned it off.. still runs like a dream.. but sold it to get a new one soon.

Its going to be a long time before we see a PB G5, the G4 is plenty fast nowdays in the PB. Also on the topic of spyware, Apple does not install Spyware protection because 99.9999% of Spyware is made for the PC, there is always an advantage to being 5% of the computer market.
Congrats and have fun.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
congratulations on your purchase & switch! i love my 12" powerbook (a rev. A model). it suits my needs perfectly, and i love not having to deal with the virus, adware/spyware, instability, and other issues associated with windows.

i would definitely recommend that you get a mouse. whether or not you purchase an apple mouse is another thing altogether. i use a mouse when i'm sitting at my desk (i also have a wireless keyboard) and it's just much more comfortable when i'm writing e-mails, updating my budget, etc. in fact, i'd recommend the apple wireless keyboard. as for the mouse, i do have the apple bluetooth mouse, but do sincerely wish they had more than 1 button. i have a logitech mx500 wired mouse that i also use occasionally (though i kind of wish i had gotten the wireless version). but, if you find that you work mostly with your powerbook while *not* sitting at a desk, the trackpad will work just fine and will be most convenient.

anyway, i think there are a few threads on mouse recommendations here, so check those out and find one that suits your needs best. it is definitely a useful purchase if you will be using your powerbook at a desk often.

marianne

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
good to see that you made the switch, im sure you will enjoy apple for many years. as for a worry about the G5 PB look at the new iMac. . . its 2 inches thick and has a G5. . . i dont think apple will come out with a 2" thick laptop anytime soon. plus the G4 will last. i have a rev A 12" PB running at 867mhz. . . so not even 1 GHZ but it still runs well a year later and im sure two or more years from now it will still be fine. as for a mouse i would reccomend not getting an apple mouse. get a mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel. the single button apple mouse just doesnt seem any good, i get tired of using my touchpad with one button a lot.

Enjoy your new PB!

bryanc

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2003
Fredericton, NB Canada
Congratulations on making the switch

Like many others, I switched to a PowerBook (a 667 MHz TiBook, which has been running almost 24/7 for almost 3 years) and have not regretted it for a second.

I still have a PC at home, and every time I have to use it it reminds me how vastly superior OS X is.

I do, however, agree that a multi-button mouse is essential. I was using a logitech mouse until just recently, when I bought a kensington wireless mouse. I really like the wirelessness of it, but I'm finding it a little too big for my hand, so I'm not sure if I'll keep it or switch back.

So I recommend getting a proper mouse, but apart from that, I expect you'll love your new PowerBook for many years to come.

Cheers

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Definitely don't regret not waiting on the G5 Powerbook...not only will they not be out for a while, but then there's the inevitable Revision A gotchas. Between all of that you'd wait a loooong time.

I find that a mouse is a matter of personal preference, or more precisely, tolerance level. Personally I find that the single-button trackpad doesn't annoy me nearly as much as having to tote a mouse around everywhere the Powerbook goes. :)

Bobcat37

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2004
Colorado
glay said:
Unfortunately for me when I purchased a 3g ipod the 4g's were annouced a week later and started shipping a few days after that. So I was abit cautious in that respect.

Hah, welcome to the world of technology, if you aren't cautious, you'll get screwed (and I'm not making fun of you or anything, because it has happened to me!!!)

Anyway, enjoy the new PowerBook, I plan to purchase one sometime this week and am very excited :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.