PDA

View Full Version : Chile Earthquake

IntheNet
Feb 27, 2010, 07:35 AM
Just awoke to news of horror in Chile from earthquake/warnings of tsunami for Pacific areas... prayers for the residents...

Pacific under tsunami threat after massive 8.8 quake strikes Chile
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/02/27/chile.quake/index.html?hpt=T1
(CNN) -- A massive magnitude 8.8 earthquake rocked Chile early Saturday, killing at least 78 people and triggering tsunami warnings for the entire Pacific basin.

sammich
Feb 27, 2010, 08:05 AM
I think you better get a second look at that thread title.

But wow, 8.8 is pretty huge. It's a good thing the Pacific has a tsunami system set up.

IntheNet
Feb 27, 2010, 08:13 AM
I think you better get a second look at that thread title.

Regrets on misspelling... CHILE... sorry...

Queso
Feb 27, 2010, 08:14 AM
Quite scary, although thankfully kidney bean free.

As always happens with these events expect that death toll to rapidly climb. 8.8 is going to have caused quite a few mortalities unfortunately.

erickkoch
Feb 27, 2010, 10:30 AM
Tsunami advisory on the west coast where I am. I'm not worried.

Hawaii, is another matter. Supposedly they're preparing for some waves coming their way but I can't find any info on when it's supposed to hit or if it already did.

Edit: The first waves were expected at 11:19 a.m. Saturday (4:19 p.m. EST; 2119 GMT)

SpaceKitty
Feb 27, 2010, 10:47 AM
AP notification on my iPhone just now states that sirens are sounding in Hawaii alerting them of an impending tsunami.

sushi
Feb 27, 2010, 10:48 AM
^ Any word on how big the expected waves will be?

rdowns
Feb 27, 2010, 10:51 AM
^ Any word on how big the expected waves will be?

@BreakingNews on Twitter say 8 foot.

8.2-foot #tsunami wave expected to strike Hilo, Hawaii, at 11:05 a.m. local time (4:05 p.m. ET) - Pacific Tsunami Warning Center

Peace
Feb 27, 2010, 10:54 AM
Here's the latest technical info with times etc.

We even have an advisory for Oregon and Washington

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/?region=2&id=hawaii.2010.02.27.162416

sushi
Feb 27, 2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks. Glad to hear that it's not the huge 20-30 footers.

SactoGuy18
Feb 27, 2010, 11:34 AM

But it that eight foot wave lasts like a hurricane storm surge, the damage will be HUGE. I'd leave Waikiki Beach right now for way higher ground!

snberk103
Feb 27, 2010, 11:41 AM
Apparently Hilo Bay, because of the way it's contoured, is expected to amplify the waves. So if its 8ft there, they're expecting smaller waves elsewhere in Hawaii. Though - note that *all* sides of the islands are threatened.

I'm in on the British Columbia coast. Nothing wakes you up in the morning, as you're lolling about in bed listening the radio like hearing "The BC South Coast is under a tsunami advisory."

It's only expected to be 30cm or less here, so nothing to worry about. However - we're expecting a call from my sister-in-law in Ontario. Her daughter is hoping to get accepted into a marine biology course in Bamfield, BC - right on the Pacific. Until now I doubt she's ever paid much attention to Pacific tsunamis.

Hopefully Chile is not too badly hit. Its early yet, but they have lots of experience with earthquakes so perhaps there isn't too much loss of life.

leomac08
Feb 27, 2010, 12:52 PM
We have a Tsunami Warning for all of California, including Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego Counties.:eek:

Peace
Feb 27, 2010, 12:55 PM
We have a Tsunami Warning for all of California, including Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego Counties.:eek:

Wonder if their gonna update that for Oregon too.

Here's the arrival times for the West coast.

http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/2010/02/27/725245/09/webeta725245-09.txt

pivo6
Feb 27, 2010, 01:01 PM
@BreakingNews is reporting aftershock after aftershock. Terrible.

49th major aftershock, magnitude 5.3, centered off Bio-Bio shore of #Chile - U.S. Geological Survey

leomac08
Feb 27, 2010, 01:03 PM
Wonder if their gonna update that for Oregon too.

Here's the arrival times for the West coast.

http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/2010/02/27/725245/09/webeta725245-09.txt

Whoa! i'm worried for Santa Monica, San Pedro, and Newport beach.....b/c that's where i live closeby....and my school too....

I have seen the "The Weather Channel App" for iPhone...

and my ipod says 6 warnings.

including a Tsunami Warning for all of California, Oregon, Washington and Alaska.

Whatever the case is, everybody has to be ready b/c mother nature is very unpredictable.:rolleyes:

Thomas Veil
Feb 27, 2010, 02:02 PM
But it that eight foot wave lasts like a hurricane storm surge, the damage will be HUGE. I'd leave Waikiki Beach right now for way higher ground!MSNBC is saying 2- to 7-foot waves. I don't know if a 2-foot wave is enough to knock over smaller structures, but a 7-foot wave sure is.

This is going to be eerie. Rarely if ever do we get several hours' notice of impending disaster. Cameras will be set up to capture it as it happens, I'm sure. I imagine most people will be around their TVs at 4 pm. It's going to be one of those moments of shared humanity. :(

Peace
Feb 27, 2010, 02:09 PM
Keep in mind those 2-8 ft. waves are above and beyond the normal waves. That and the tsunami waves tend to travel inland and carry debris along with it.

Going inland to higher elevations is highly recommended for almost all of Hawaii.

RawBert
Feb 27, 2010, 02:23 PM
OMG! What a massive earthquake. I feel so bad for these people. :(

Rt&Dzine
Feb 27, 2010, 03:35 PM
GNS Geonet project director Ken Gledhill said the Chile quake was the fifth largest quake the world had seen since 1900.

They are saying this is the biggest tsunami warning in history.

Roger Bilham, a professor of geological sciences at the University of Colorado, said the waves were racing across the Pacific Ocean at 720km/h.

"Mid-ocean, the wave is travelling at around the speed of a jet plane," he said.

snberk103
Feb 27, 2010, 04:03 PM

Umm ... that's an "Tsunami Advisory" not a "Warning".

Advisories are for much smaller events.

snberk103
Feb 27, 2010, 04:16 PM
People people people....

What happened in Chile is huge, and is a catastrophe there. And is continuing to be hit with aftershocks.

But lets keep this in perspective as far as North America is concerned ...

So far the largest waves recorded on the California coast has been 2.2 ft (.66m). The navigation buoys in Ventura harbour have been damaged. I don't think this qualifies as "devastation", widespread or locally.

The skating events at the Vancouver Olympics are happening in the city of Richmond, that sits below sea level. They haven't cancelled any events. Its not a big deal.

So be careful, stay out of the water....

R.Perez
Feb 27, 2010, 07:10 PM
Hawaii is ok.

They called off the Tsunami warning about an hour ago.

I live right in the flood zone, haha.

mac88
Feb 27, 2010, 07:14 PM
I hope all of those "look at me" celebrities/singers are going to organize another telethon and or release another version of We Are the World for the people of Chile. Why would they be any different then the people in Haiti?

R.Perez
Feb 27, 2010, 07:20 PM
I hope all of those "look at me" celebrities/singers are going to organize another telethon and or release another version of We Are the World for the people of Chile. Why would they be any different then the people in Haiti?

You know because god forbid celebrities try and use their notoriety to help people in desperate need.

Statements like this absolutely boggle my mind.

Oh and Haiti is a devastatingly poor country, Chile has had its problems in the past, but it is most definitely not on the same level as Haiti in terms of need.

The # of fatalities coming out of Chile speaks for itself, Haiti was astronomically worse.

That being said, we should help Chile as much as we possibly can.

mac88
Feb 27, 2010, 07:26 PM
You know because god forbid celebrities try and use their notoriety to help people in desperate need.

Statements like this absolutely boggle my mind.

Oh and Haiti is a devastatingly poor country, Chile has had its problems in the past, but it is most definitely not on the same level as Haiti in terms of need.

The # of fatalities coming out of Chile speaks for itself, Haiti was astronomically worse.

That being said, we should help Chile as much as we possibly can.

I guess the people of Haiti are more important than the people of Chile according to you. Loss of life is loss of life. So will the celebrities be raising money to help defray the cost of the destruction or the people of Chile don't deserve that?

R.Perez
Feb 27, 2010, 07:38 PM
I guess the people of Haiti are more important than the people of Chile according to you. Loss of life is loss of life. So will the celebrities be raising money to help defray the cost of the destruction or the people of Chile don't deserve that?

Its not about one being more important than the other.

Chile has more resources, that is all.

There were hundreds of thousands of deaths in Haiti from the earthquake, initial reports in Chile are looking like it is not nearly as bad.

Sure there is lots of destruction, but it seems most people are ok.

I never said we should help Chile less, simply said that Chile is not in
the same situation as Haiti.

I think we should help Chile rebuild as much as we possibly can, just
as we did with Haiti. I was simply responding to your point about
celebrity attention. Chile will not need the amount of help that Haiti
did. When hundreds of thousands of people die, you require more help.

It's called common sense.

Since when is mass destruction and death a political issue or argument anyway?

If people need help, they should get it. End of story.

R.Perez
Feb 27, 2010, 07:40 PM
Why Chile's Stronger Earthquake Won't Be as Deadly as Haiti's

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thehumancondition/archive/2010/02/27/why-chile-s-stronger-earthquake-won-t-be-as-deadly-as-haiti-s.aspx

mac88
Feb 27, 2010, 07:41 PM
Its not about one being more important than the other.

Chile has more resources, that is all.

There were hundreds of thousands of deaths in Haiti from the earthquake, initial reports in Chile are looking like it is not nearly as bad.

Sure there is lots of destruction, but it seems most people are ok.

I never said we should help Chile less, simply said that Chile is not in
the same situation as Haiti.

I think we should help Chile rebuild as much as we possibly can, just
as we did with Haiti. I was simply responding to your point about
celebrity attention. Chile will not need the amount of help that Haiti
did. When hundreds of thousands of people die, you require more help.

It's called common sense.

Since when is mass destruction and death a political issue or argument anyway?

If people need help, they should get it. End of story.

Fair enough.

pukifloyd
Feb 27, 2010, 11:06 PM
damn this is sad...8.8 is horrible! RIP to all those who died :(

SactoGuy18
Feb 27, 2010, 11:18 PM
Why Chile's Stronger Earthquake Won't Be as Deadly as Haiti's

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thehumancondition/archive/2010/02/27/why-chile-s-stronger-earthquake-won-t-be-as-deadly-as-haiti-s.aspx

You have to remember there hasn't been a significant earthquake in Port-au-Prince in many, many years and the fact much of Port-au-Prince was a glorified shantytown in terms of building construction quality contributed to the shocking death toll in Haiti. They might as well call in Bechtel Corporation, bulldoze all of Port-au-Prince, and start all over again....

colocolo
Feb 28, 2010, 07:15 AM
This earthquake was indeed, huge. As they say, it is the fifth stronger in recorded history, and it sure felt strong. I lived through the one in 1985 (which was a 7.8), and you could definitely feel the difference, even objectively if you evaluate the amount of objects falling off shelves.

It has been a tragic weekend. Thankfully, the death toll doesn't seem as high as it should have been expected- around 300 at the time - but they are tragic anyways, and the country is mourning them all.

In infrastructure, the damage was pretty bad in some zones. You have to take into account the topography of Chile, which is a narrow and long stripe of land, and most people leave towards the center, so this quake actually affected around 40% of the total population of the country.
The poorest zones got devastated, which I guess is to be expected with an 8.8 quake. Some buildings turned to rubble, but most of them withstood the movement.

The main highway connecting Chile got damaged at many points, but as we speak, detours have been put in place to bypass the broken points and the few bridges that were rendered unusable - of the literally hundreds of them. So, luckily, the aid from other cities might be able to get to the worse zones faster now.

There earthquake also cut communication in some zones, together with some basic services such as electricity and water. In the capital, electricity has been restored for around 80% of the population, while the rest of us have to wait patiently. According to what I know, almost everyone had water by yesterday.

The cut in communication in the south coastal zone of the affected territory had devastating consequences; as there was no immediate way to contact the population right after the quake arrived, the tsunami waves hit some small towns just minutes after (because of the proximity), removing some of them altogether and flooding others with heavy losses. The sea reportedly entered over 1km (around 0.7 miles) in some areas, leaving some big boats on the streets and killing inhabitants.

Aftershocks could literally be felt every hour yesterday, and every couple of hours now, with some of them being pretty intense. There are a couple of buildings that are on the verge of collapsing, and one of these smaller movements will definitely bring them to the ground.

Inside the houses which didn't suffer any structural damage, I guess almost everyone had significant material losses, as TV's, computers and other stuff literally blew off the counters. Almost all big businesses had to close for the time being, with supermarkets having the floors of every aisle littered with remnants of groceries and glass. Most of them are expected to start opening again today or tomorrow.

All in all, it has been a devastating event, but as has been said in this thread, we were prepared - as one can be prepared for this kind of event.
This disaster will in no way be similar to Haiti; you have to bear in mind they are an extremely poor country while we are on the other end of the scale of Latin American countries. It will take a couple of months until the damage can be repaired, but we will get there. Regrettably, those who died on this tragic incident will have no such chance. Hopefully we can learn from this big disaster in order to ensure we don't have to mourn deaths when we get hit again.

A big thanks to all of you who got concerned about us on these days, and not only about how the waves might or not affect you :).

mac88
Feb 28, 2010, 02:03 PM
This earthquake was indeed, huge. As they say, it is the fifth stronger in recorded history, and it sure felt strong. I lived through the one in 1985 (which was a 7.8), and you could definitely feel the difference, even objectively if you evaluate the amount of objects falling off shelves.

It has been a tragic weekend. Thankfully, the death toll doesn't seem as high as it should have been expected- around 300 at the time - but they are tragic anyways, and the country is mourning them all.

In infrastructure, the damage was pretty bad in some zones. You have to take into account the topography of Chile, which is a narrow and long stripe of land, and most people leave towards the center, so this quake actually affected around 40% of the total population of the country.
The poorest zones got devastated, which I guess is to be expected with an 8.8 quake. Some buildings turned to rubble, but most of them withstood the movement.

The main highway connecting Chile got damaged at many points, but as we speak, detours have been put in place to bypass the broken points and the few bridges that were rendered unusable - of the literally hundreds of them. So, luckily, the aid from other cities might be able to get to the worse zones faster now.

There earthquake also cut communication in some zones, together with some basic services such as electricity and water. In the capital, electricity has been restored for around 80% of the population, while the rest of us have to wait patiently. According to what I know, almost everyone had water by yesterday.

The cut in communication in the south coastal zone of the affected territory had devastating consequences; as there was no immediate way to contact the population right after the quake arrived, the tsunami waves hit some small towns just minutes after (because of the proximity), removing some of them altogether and flooding others with heavy losses. The sea reportedly entered over 1km (around 0.7 miles) in some areas, leaving some big boats on the streets and killing inhabitants.

Aftershocks could literally be felt every hour yesterday, and every couple of hours now, with some of them being pretty intense. There are a couple of buildings that are on the verge of collapsing, and one of these smaller movements will definitely bring them to the ground.

Inside the houses which didn't suffer any structural damage, I guess almost everyone had significant material losses, as TV's, computers and other stuff literally blew off the counters. Almost all big businesses had to close for the time being, with supermarkets having the floors of every aisle littered with remnants of groceries and glass. Most of them are expected to start opening again today or tomorrow.

All in all, it has been a devastating event, but as has been said in this thread, we were prepared - as one can be prepared for this kind of event.
This disaster will in no way be similar to Haiti; you have to bear in mind they are an extremely poor country while we are on the other end of the scale of Latin American countries. It will take a couple of months until the damage can be repaired, but we will get there. Regrettably, those who died on this tragic incident will have no such chance. Hopefully we can learn from this big disaster in order to ensure we don't have to mourn deaths when we get hit again.

A big thanks to all of you who got concerned about us on these days, and not only about how the waves might or not affect you :).

My prayers go out to you and those of your country. I hope you are all well. Hang in there and do your best to help others who may need it.

ucfgrad93
Feb 28, 2010, 02:37 PM

Glad to hear that you are ok. I hope your family and friends are also well.

leomac08
Feb 28, 2010, 10:19 PM

Glad to hear that!!:) i hope well for you, your family and your country.

Fuerza Chile!:D