Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Okay- so first- I've done a lot of research but cant seem to find something thats current and clear on the topic.

Last week, i got my first Mac (a base Mini). I'm also running my old XP machine- which I've been syncing my iPhone with since i got it. Until I make the complete cut over to a Mac, i'd like to be able to connect my iphone to either machine and do a backup and sync.

Based on what I've read, I authorized the Mac and connected my phone, and transfered purchases over to it. After doing so, I went to sync my apps, music etc. and got the 'if you this, you'll lose your data' message- which is obviously scary. None the less, I did this and when I disconnect my phone, everything appeared to be there but the icons were totally screwed up. given that I've got 8-9 screens of crap on my phone, fixing this would be a pita so to save time, I restored from my PC.

Now that i've got my phone back in order, i want to see how to get my Mac setup going again- without screwing things up.

I guess, is it even possible to keep an iPhone completely synced with PC and Mac? if so any tips?

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
iPhones, like iPods, are meant to sync to only one computer, be it PC or Mac. If you attempt to "sync" to the second one, it will tell you that it's already "tied" to another computer, and that attempting to sync will erase what's currently on the iPhone.

I would strongly recommend you continue syncing with PC until all your media and apps are in place on the Mac.

EDIT: That said, there are several programs that will allow you to "backfill" the Mac's iTunes library with the media and/or apps that are on the iPod (e.g. Senuti). If your entire PC-based library can fit on your iPhone, this would be an easy way to get your Mac's library up to snuff, and you'll be able to sync solely to your Mac from that point.

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
iPhones, like iPods, are meant to sync to only one computer, be it PC or Mac. If you attempt to "sync" to the second one, it will tell you that it's already "tied" to another computer, and that attempting to sync will erase what's currently on the iPhone.

I would strongly recommend you continue syncing with PC until all your media and apps are in place on the Mac.

thanks. That kind of what I was starting to conclude. Seems odd to me though - you'd think this - or at least the migration process from PC to Mac would be built into iTunes. It appears that many use some kind of xfer software to aid the process.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
There are also programs that will transfer sets of files and documents from one to the other, including entire intact iTunes libraries. I think OS X has one built in, and tells you about it when you first set up your Mac. Search around in your Help files, or if you have an Apple Store nearby, ask a Genius.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.