PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 Upgradability

vouder17
Sep 1, 2004, 02:30 PM
Well Great New iMac.

But i have been looking at the internal pics, and ok well it is hard to say but i reckon that the hard drive can easily be upgraded. But what interest me is what is behind this plastic cover with the two fans:
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16859&stc=1
Well i think that here the graphics card is, and hopefully if it is not intergrated into the motherboard completly and can be fiddled with so that you can perhaps change it or improove it???? Correct me if I am wrong.

Well I quess we have to wait until someone at Xlr8YourMac gets hold of an iMac G5.

Peace
DjVoTeZ

7on
Sep 1, 2004, 02:43 PM
even if the GFX card wasn't on the board it'd still be soldered to the LCD (I doubt Apple uses a standard DVI connection where you can just unplug it like the towers). And neither Nvidia or ATI sells their chips. I suppose someone "could" buy a new GPU for like $600 and rip out the old chip and solder the new thing on, but then a new iMac is only twice that. And by the time you need to upgrade the GPU the CPU will likely be outdated. Most Powermac owners don't even upgrade their graphics cards.

The iMac is expandable in that you can add external hdds and other peripherials if you wish.

Also given the fact that the only PC video card I upgraded was with an old Pentium 3 600Mhz. It had a Voodoo3 and I upgraded it to a Radeon 9000 recently. Only because XP doesn't like Voodoo very much.

MacsRgr8
Sep 1, 2004, 02:45 PM
I was thinking about the same thing.
Not sure about where exactly the grfx card is placed, but it remembers me a bit of the Cube.
If I recall correctly, the Cube was not upgradable, but it is possible to swap grfx cards in the Cube, if they physically fit. Maybe it is the same story for the iMac G5...?

Maybe I'm hoping too much. :rolleyes:

vraxtus
Sep 1, 2004, 02:55 PM
Very very doubtful that the GPU will be upgradeable.

realityisterror
Sep 1, 2004, 03:00 PM
someone needs to invent an external firewire graphics card :rolleyes: ;) :p :cool:

reality
btw, would that be possible?

Lancetx
Sep 1, 2004, 03:03 PM
I saw this quote in a story this morning. The link to the full story is here. (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1620&ncid=1211&e=7&u=/sv/20040901/tc_sv/oohlalaappleunveilsnewimac) No mention about the graphics or CPU, but interesting if the hard drive and optical drive can be swapped out easily.

Joswiak took apart one of the new iMacs to show how easy it is to replace the hard drive, Airport card and optical disc drive.

vraxtus
Sep 1, 2004, 03:06 PM
someone needs to invent an external firewire graphics card :rolleyes: ;) :p :cool:

reality
btw, would that be possible?

No. Not at all.

realityisterror
Sep 1, 2004, 03:22 PM
No. Not at all.

well, it sounded like a good idea... :rolleyes: :p
it would be pretty convenient though...
does firewire not have enough bandwidth, or is it a hardware limitation?

reality

vraxtus
Sep 1, 2004, 03:24 PM
well, it sounded like a good idea... :rolleyes: :p
it would be pretty convenient though...
does firewire not have enough bandwidth, or is it a hardware limitation?

reality

Bandwidth. The reason we have PCI/AGP slots is for this kind of thing. You can't have an external I/O device doing on-board processes...