PDA

View Full Version : I miss my PowerMac G5

crazyrog17
Feb 28, 2010, 11:59 AM
I had an awesome PowerMac G5, dual core 2GHz processor which was blazing fast. It was the first 'good' Mac that I owned.

Anything I tried was flawlessly executed, whereas on my eMac, flash video could beachball it for minutes at a time.

I got the PowerMac through a craigslist deal for $200. Sounds like a steal, right? Well I didn't know if it would even boot because it only had the case, logic board and power supply. I didn't even have a power cable for it, so it took me a while to track down a C-19 cord.

After I spent $200 on hard drives, memory and an optical drive, I held my breath and went for the power button. No smoke erupted and it whirred up to the flashing question mark.

After a simple installation of Leopard, I was in heaven. Every day, that thing served me well. I installed an airport and bluetooth card in it, along with a better internal speaker from an iMac G3. (just wanted to make the boot sound better)

I later sold the machine for $300 profit after I got my MacBook Pro for college. I love my MacBook Pro, don't get me wrong... but there's nothing like the raw power of a huge PowerMac sitting there next to you. I like how robust it was on the UI and with it's looks.

Do you have any Macs you miss?

NoManIsland
Feb 28, 2010, 12:09 PM
I have to admit I miss my G4 Cube. It was sleek and sexy and a very unusual design. Sure it was underpowered, overpriced, and the special touch power button was activated if a mouse farted, but goddamn it was cool :) I ended up selling it to a collector who was planning on investing heavily in it to upgrade it to capacity, and I only let it go because I knew it was going to someone who would appreciate it. Still, it is missed :(

leekohler
Feb 28, 2010, 12:42 PM
I had an awesome PowerMac G5, dual core 2GHz processor which was blazing fast. It was the first 'good' Mac that I owned.

Anything I tried was flawlessly executed, whereas on my eMac, flash video could beachball it for minutes at a time.

I got the PowerMac through a craigslist deal for $200. Sounds like a steal, right? Well I didn't know if it would even boot because it only had the case, logic board and power supply. I didn't even have a power cable for it, so it took me a while to track down a C-19 cord.

After I spent $200 on hard drives, memory and an optical drive, I held my breath and went for the power button. No smoke erupted and it whirred up to the flashing question mark.

After a simple installation of Leopard, I was in heaven. Every day, that thing served me well. I installed an airport and bluetooth card in it, along with a better internal speaker from an iMac G3. (just wanted to make the boot sound better)

I later sold the machine for $300 profit after I got my MacBook Pro for college. I love my MacBook Pro, don't get me wrong... but there's nothing like the raw power of a huge PowerMac sitting there next to you. I like how robust it was on the UI and with it's looks.

Do you have any Macs you miss?

I have that exact PM G5. It's not leaving me anytime soon.

Appleboy1717
Feb 28, 2010, 12:43 PM
I have to admit I miss my G4 Cube. It was sleek and sexy and a very unusual design. Sure it was underpowered, overpriced, and the special touch power button was activated if a mouse farted, but goddamn it was cool :) I ended up selling it to a collector who was planning on investing heavily in it to upgrade it to capacity, and I only let it go because I knew it was going to someone who would appreciate it. Still, it is missed :(

I too have a macbook pro for collage, but I got a G5 from a buddy who owed me money, and I have a dual screen setup 19 and 15 inch, and I use the G5 more than the macbook. Its just fun, and I overclocked the video card, and I just really like it.

CCK
Feb 28, 2010, 01:13 PM
Getting a MP on this next update, but the G5 will replace an emac and will be happy to keep it in the family.

Thirteenva
Feb 28, 2010, 01:13 PM
I still have the Dual 2ghz G5 machine you're reminiscing about. It's my work machine and i'll likely have it until the imac issues get sorted out or the MacPro's get released (and hopefully drop $500 in price).

It's still going strong with leopard and CS3, and if it wasn't for the fact that PPC support is slowly being phased out I'd keep it longer.

Toronto Mike
Feb 28, 2010, 03:33 PM
I bought my dual 2.0 G5 almost 2 years ago and it does everything that I need it to do. I loaded up on the last of the ppc versions of the software that I'll need, and am digging in for an indefinite future.

At this point it would take severe incompatibility issues with professional printers, and using the internet for me to upgrade. It's a great machine.

Mike

Shademaster
Mar 1, 2010, 05:49 AM
I recently got a powerbook g4 from a friend that let it drop from the stairs. After 2 days of 'operating' it works perfectly! I totally digg above excpectations running old hardware.

Only machine I miss is my old AMD 2200+ with 512GBRAM and windows2000. That machine gave me a lot of satisfaction when I was making my first entry into the 3D market. W2K was really stable and my machine ran very quiet and fast.

After that one I made my step up to a MacPro 08.

92jlee
Mar 1, 2010, 06:19 AM
Im writing this on a 2.3 g5! Love the G5 machines, there is something about them that makes them so much better than the Pro's which look almost identical.

crazyrog17
Mar 1, 2010, 09:39 AM
Im writing this on a 2.3 g5! Love the G5 machines, there is something about them that makes them so much better than the Pro's which look almost identical.

Exactly! I don't know how to explain it, but they just seem like raw horsepower compared to the Intel MacPros.

I guess I can compare them to cars, where the G5s seem like classics with their bigblocks and heavy chassis. The Intel MacPros seem like the new, more 'fake' muscle cars. The Dodge Challenger comes to mind.

velocityg4
Mar 1, 2010, 10:06 AM
I miss my IIvx since it was my first Mac and introduced me to the Mac OS (System 7.1).

I also miss my 6400/180. It seemed really fast upgraded with 192MB RAM, 20GB HD, 250Mhz G3 upgrade and 8MB ATI Rage video card. The 17" Apple 1710 was huge at the time and my Stylewriter 4500 had great prints. It also had a unique quark since it had an IR receiver built in whenever I used my Sony TV remote to turn on/off my TV the Mac would boot or shutdown so I had to be careful where I aimed it:eek:.

polotska
Mar 1, 2010, 11:27 AM
Pismo PowerBook G3.

CXsjr
Mar 1, 2010, 11:39 AM
I think this thread my have just saved me a fortune! I have a G5 2.5 Quad with a 30" cinema display ....

I have been in a quandary for several days now having recently purchased an iMac i7 to replace my G5 and subsequently sent it back as because it suffered from the well publicised screen issues. Since then, I've been wondering about buying a Mac Pro 2.93 Quad but in the spec I want it, it's going to rush me 2,800! Basically, I'm only upgrading because more and more applications seem to be dropping support for non-Intel Mac's. I'm guessing the new version of Photoshop, CS5, when it comes out may not support non-Intel.

Would I be right in thinking that you guys would tell me spend my money on a nice holiday instead and keep the G5?

rickvanr
Mar 1, 2010, 11:58 AM
B&W G3

My first power mac. Thing kicked serious but at the time. Ran strong until I sold it 4-5 years ago. Missed it greatly, until I got my second and last PM, dual 2.7. Thing was a tank until it sprung a leak 3-4 months ago and I'm still getting used to my MP replacement.

goMac
Mar 1, 2010, 12:02 PM
Would I be right in thinking that you guys would tell me spend my money on a nice holiday instead and keep the G5?

I think they're talking about nostalgia. :) A Mac Pro is way faster than a G5.

promoose
Mar 1, 2010, 03:45 PM
Mac IIsi. Awesome powerhouse with a math coprocessor installed.

Toronto Mike
Mar 1, 2010, 08:13 PM
I think this thread my have just saved me a fortune! I have a G5 2.5 Quad with a 30" cinema display ....

I have been in a quandary for several days now having recently purchased an iMac i7 to replace my G5 and subsequently sent it back as because it suffered from the well publicized screen issues. Since then, I've been wondering about buying a Mac Pro 2.93 Quad but in the spec I want it, it's going to rush me 2,800! Basically, I'm only upgrading because more and more applications seem to be dropping support for non-Intel Mac's. I'm guessing the new version of Photoshop, CS5, when it comes out may not support non-Intel.

I think you need to be honest with yourself and what you will use your machine for.

Your G5 will run CS4 really well within a certain level of performance. For me, being an occasional user, not putting tremendous volumes of information through, it is well up to the task. I find CS4 to be a tad faster than CS2 for me on my dual 2.0 G5 with 6Gb of ram. Set up a Photoshop scratch disk on the second hard drive and you'll squeeze out even more performance. The question is: what are your expectations for what you need a computer to do?

I find the features of CS4 to be vast and powerful. You'd spend years mastering it effectively. Download the 30 day trial version and find out. If you like it on your G5, why upgrade to a new machine and spend all that cash if you are not the kind of user that can use that power effectively. I know my G5 usually waits for me - not the other way around most of the time. In a worst case scenario if you did buy CS4, and then wanted a new Intel, if the operating OS version would allow it, you could install it in the new machine. What have you really lost? But you could be saving yourself a huge amount of money by using what you have already.

I know for myself that I can live without the newest Intel only upgrades that are coming, including Snow Leopard. I'm still on Tiger. The question is - how important for real world tasks will be the latest Intel only releases.

Time is of the essence to decide this issue. CS4 will run on your G5. Very soon CS5 will come out and you will be left with fewer choices of where you can pick up a copy of CS4. Adobe will not sell you one - and the stores might have cleared out their old stock.

I think for those that can live with the idea that you will soon be left behind with Intel only software, the G5 is still great for those that do not need cutting edge performance. Load it up with ram and use some of these ideas to enhance your performance:

http://macperformanceguide.com/index.html

http://macperformanceguide.com/OptimizingPhotoshop-Intro.html

The G5 can still make sense to the user that obtains all the PPC software versions that they need, and is happy with the performance. It does for me - and maybe for you as well.

Mike

CXsjr
Mar 2, 2010, 12:55 AM
I think you need to be honest with yourself and what you will use your machine for.

Your G5 will run CS4 really well within a certain level of performance.

Mike,

To be honest, there is one main thing that I use my 'big' machine for, Photoshop. I am a keen amatuer photogrpaher and, having seen some of the reviews for Photoshop CS5 (particularly this one - http://www.photoshopcs5.co.uk/blog/latest-cs5-release-update/ ) you'll see that CS5 will be Intel compatible only. Speculation is that if people haven't updated their hardware in 4 years, nor will they update their software :(

Having seen some of the other exceptional features coming in CS5, in particular the fact that it is designed to take advantage of multi-Core, multi-thread processors, as well as the PatchMatch tool, I was kind of keen to make this my next step in PS, as I'm currently running CS3.

I guess I'll just have to sit tight and see what unfolds, however, it looks like my G5 is doomed to be replaced this year after all so if anyone's missing theirs that much, make me an offer! :)

Toronto Mike
Mar 2, 2010, 05:56 AM
Mike,

To be honest, there is one main thing that I use my 'big' machine for, Photoshop. I am a keen amatuer photogrpaher and, having seen some of the reviews for Photoshop CS5 (particularly this one - http://www.photoshopcs5.co.uk/blog/latest-cs5-release-update/ ) you'll see that CS5 will be Intel compatible only. Speculation is that if people haven't updated their hardware in 4 years, nor will they update their software :(

Having seen some of the other exceptional features coming in CS5, in particular the fact that it is designed to take advantage of multi-Core, multi-thread processors, as well as the PatchMatch tool, I was kind of keen to make this my next step in PS, as I'm currently running CS3.

I guess I'll just have to sit tight and see what unfolds, however, it looks like my G5 is doomed to be replaced this year after all so if anyone's missing theirs that much, make me an offer! :)

You are absolutely right about this since only you can judge for yourself what your needs are.

I was in a spot, knowing that CS2 was fine for me, since I had the panoramic stitching software covered by Autopano Pro. I was more than pleased with what I could do with the software that I had and wanted to stay with the G5 until I had serious compatibility issues with others - especially professional printers and the internet. My upgrade eligibility is good up to CS5, but CS5 will not work on the G5.

CS4 offered many features that I wanted so I could not resist for the on sale upgrade price that Adobe was offering at the time. So far I am more than happy with what CS4 can deliver on the G5 and I still have one last upgrade I could make to get even more performance out of it; SSD drives.

With what I am able to do on the G5 at this present time to meet my requirements, the G5 will be with me for many years - probably until CS7 forces me to make a decision to qualify for the upgrade price.

EVeryone is different in what they need for what they can afford. Sounds like you know all the issues involved.

Mike

reebzor
Mar 2, 2010, 10:47 AM
I miss my iBook G3. It was the first mac I ever owned. I just remember the amount of joy I felt the first times using a mac (with OS X). It was so cool. I've been using macs ever since, but none have made me as excited as that iBook did.

Rt&Dzine
Mar 2, 2010, 10:56 AM
I've had several older Macs and I don't miss any of them. Love my 2008 Mac Pro. Best computer I've ever owned.

CaptainChunk
Mar 2, 2010, 11:03 AM
Going back nostalgically, I miss my TiBook G4 DVI 1GHz. It wasn't my first Mac, but it was my first OS X machine and the first one I truly loved.

Sadly, it got stolen out of trunk of my car near my college campus about a year after I bought it. That was a lesson learned the hard way. :P

crazyrog17
Mar 2, 2010, 11:33 AM
I miss my iBook G3. It was the first mac I ever owned. I just remember the amount of joy I felt the first times using a mac (with OS X). It was so cool. I've been using macs ever since, but none have made me as excited as that iBook did.

I just spent an hour on my iBook G3 modifying the keyboard. I did the color mod to the underside-edges of the keys and they now 'glow' blue along with the stock indigo shell.

Oh, that iBook is worthy of it's own thread after all the work I've done to it. 1024x768 screen, SSD, Combo Drive (soon to be slot loading) and blue sleep LEDs.

vailance
Mar 2, 2010, 10:31 PM
i did own a several g5 range from 1.8ghz dual till 2.3ghz(last gen).. all sold due to funding some cash for other stuff. i admit it was kinda sad to let it go until today im still miss them even i got myself a 09 MP.
theres something in it (g5) that makes me wanted to use them more than my MP. i know it sounds ridiculous. well.. not sure about how others feel. :p

Quad 2.5 G5 =)
Mar 3, 2010, 12:18 PM
Exactly! I don't know how to explain it, but they just seem like raw horsepower compared to the Intel MacPros.

I guess I can compare them to cars, where the G5s seem like classics with their bigblocks and heavy chassis. The Intel MacPros seem like the new, more 'fake' muscle cars. The Dodge Challenger comes to mind.

Yes, I think the shiny "G5", and those massive wonderful heatsinks just make it look all the better. Unlike the odd tray Mac Pro heatsinks.
I own 2 PM G5s, one, a Quad 2.5, and the other, a Dual 2.7..and I don't think I could let either of them go, even if they're "old and obsolete".

TarmacNinja
Mar 3, 2010, 04:58 PM
i got an oppertunity to sell my 27inch imac for slightly more than i paid for it :) and picked up a mbp pre unibdy and a g5 1.8x2 with a few gigs of ram 2x20inch acds and a 6800ultra. there is something VERY nostalgic about owning one. i find most everything works on it and it gives my mbp 2.33GHZ core 2 duo a run for its money. i think i will be sticking with this one for a while...:cool:

Love
Mar 3, 2010, 06:27 PM
I dearly miss my 12 inch PB. :(

Quad 2.5 G5 =)
Mar 4, 2010, 12:23 PM
i got an oppertunity to sell my 27inch imac for slightly more than i paid for it :) and picked up a mbp pre unibdy and a g5 1.8x2 with a few gigs of ram 2x20inch acds and a 6800ultra. there is something VERY nostalgic about owning one. i find most everything works on it and it gives my mbp 2.33GHZ core 2 duo a run for its money. i think i will be sticking with this one for a while...:cool:

The reason it seems as fast as the MBP might be the FSB, but I love the feeling of mine, they're..just wonderful to use.

crazyrog17
Mar 6, 2010, 07:32 AM
The reason it seems as fast as the MBP might be the FSB, but I love the feeling of mine, they're..just wonderful to use.

I hope yours doesn't spring a leak!

crazyrog17
Mar 6, 2010, 07:34 AM
I dearly miss my 12 inch PB. :(

I've never had the pleasure of using a 12" PowerBook, but I can imagine how nice they were. My girlfriend's 12" 1.33GHz iBook is pretty snappy and it's so portable and robust.

The only thing I would hate about the 12" PowerBook is the display's resolution. I cannot, I simply cannot stand 1024x768 anymore.

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 6, 2010, 09:25 AM
I've never had the pleasure of using a 12" PowerBook, but I can imagine how nice they were. My girlfriend's 12" 1.33GHz iBook is pretty snappy and it's so portable and robust.

The only thing I would hate about the 12" PowerBook is the display's resolution. I cannot, I simply cannot stand 1024x768 anymore.

I traded my DC 2.3 G5 last week for the Mini in my sig(i upgraded it as it was a base model) and so far so good. Don't think I'll get rid of my PB though as it's a great little laptop and that resolution is good for movies and light web surfing. It's so portable and has a DVD burner in it. Try doing that with a netbook :p It does reveal its age though performance wise.

crazyrog17
Mar 6, 2010, 10:28 AM
I traded my DC 2.3 G5 last week for the Mini in my sig(i upgraded it as it was a base model) and so far so good. Don't think I'll get rid of my PB though as it's a great little laptop and that resolution is good for movies and light web surfing. It's so portable and has a DVD burner in it. Try doing that with a netbook :p It does reveal its age though performance wise.

Off topic, but I looked through your mods the other day and I saw the keyboard color mod. I took a blue sharpie to the bottom edge of my Clamshell's keys and it looks KILLER. Thanks for the inspiration.

I'm pretty sure the current Mini can whomp any G5 performance wise. I don't know how the graphics measure up.

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 6, 2010, 06:13 PM
Off topic, but I looked through your mods the other day and I saw the keyboard color mod. I took a blue sharpie to the bottom edge of my Clamshell's keys and it looks KILLER. Thanks for the inspiration.

I'm pretty sure the current Mini can whomp any G5 performance wise. I don't know how the graphics measure up.

Cool I'm glad you liked that mod. Did you have the indigo blue iBook? I bet that looks awesome as that was my favorite color back in the day.

Performance wise, and I am saying this from experience, but the performance isn't much greater with the stock Mini but after the upgrades I did, it is very noticeable now. Don't get me wrong though but the late '05 G5s are still very capable and good machines and will be for years to come. Amazing that it took 4+ years to do it :p.

Macdctr
Mar 6, 2010, 07:46 PM
I got the PowerMac through a craigslist deal for $200.

That was a great deal....sort of reminds me of my PowerMac G5 that I still own. I got mine on a eBay sale from, of all people, a PC tech. He didn't know how to replace a power supply so I purchased mine for about $300. I then rebuilt my PowerMac and compared to my Mac Pro it seems to start up and shut down much faster. Depending on what I am doing it seems to perform on par to my Mac Pro so it's still a great tower...:D I only wish I could get a better graphics card for it...:(

InfoSecmgr
Mar 6, 2010, 07:54 PM
I miss my 1.6GHz PowerMac G5

TarmacNinja
Mar 6, 2010, 09:20 PM
That was a great deal....sort of reminds me of my PowerMac G5 that I still own. I got mine on a eBay sale from, of all people, a PC tech. He didn't know how to replace a power supply so I purchased mine for about $300. I then rebuilt my PowerMac and compared to my Mac Pro it seems to start up and shut down much faster. Depending on what I am doing it seems to perform on par to my Mac Pro so it's still a great tower...:D I only wish I could get a better graphics card for it...:(

why no current apple pcie card would be backwards compatible? sorry noob thing to say but just am curious, brief history lesson?

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 6, 2010, 09:27 PM
why no current apple pcie card would be backwards compatible? sorry noob thing to say but just am curious, brief history lesson?

They use EFI and not Open Firmware.

California
Mar 6, 2010, 09:29 PM
I really miss never having the 12" Powerbook G5 that could take four gigs of ram and run a 30" Apple Display.

Dreams aside, I do miss my 12 Powerbook and sometimes the thrill of a new Titanium Powerbook.

Sweetfeld28
Mar 6, 2010, 09:34 PM
As luck would have it I happened to have a G5 2.5 DP, which has had the infamous 'Leakage'. Fortunately, for me and many others, Apple replaced or refurbished our units for the faulty design flaw.

Like I have said in many of the other threads, I just love the tower design. My current G5 tower is my second, the other G5 was a trusty air cooled 1.8 DP G5. I think since, my G5 has been completely Refurbished only months ago, that i will hang on to it for a couple of more years. Then maybe turn it into a Hackintosh; Maybe, just maybe.

Either way the G5 case design, to me, is one of my favorite Mac case designs of the G4s, and G5 towers. The other G4 tower case design i loved, and previously owned, was the last G4 made. The 1.42 GHz, DP G4. Both were very reliable and very upgradeable machines. I missed them both a lot after buy my original MBP. So, a couple of months later decided I wanted another G5, and then ended up finding my current G5.

Appleboy1717
Mar 7, 2010, 12:55 AM
I have to agree about using the G5. IDk what I like about it. My 2.66 MBP is obviously faster (although for normal usage, it is not really much different) but definitely something about it I like. The raw power.
I just upgraded the ram again...Its a pretty descent media center/web surfer. I usally do photoshop on my laptop, but do it on the desktop too.
Now running 1.8ghz dual, 5gb ram, 1.5tb storage....
I noticed someone in an earlier post said something about "the trusty 1.8. Was that a good model? I am very happy with mine so far, and definitely seems like a lot of computer for how old it is, and most definitely still works great.

Macdctr
Mar 7, 2010, 05:55 AM

Unfortunately my PowerMac G5 has pci-x slots. No pci-e slots, so I think I'm only limited to 256Mb video cards...:(

Sweetfeld28
Mar 7, 2010, 12:19 PM
I noticed someone in an earlier post said something about "the trusty 1.8. Was that a good model? I am very happy with mine so far, and definitely seems like a lot of computer for how old it is, and most definitely still works great.

It was a great computer for me. I only sold it because i was trying to pay off a school loan i had. But, soon after i sold it, i regretted it. It was a good model, as are all the G5's IMO. However, now that i have gone through the trouble of mine leaking once, i would choose an air cooled G5 if i had to do it over again i think.

Appleboy1717
Mar 7, 2010, 01:34 PM
It was a great computer for me. I only sold it because i was trying to pay off a school loan i had. But, soon after i sold it, i regretted it. It was a good model, as are all the G5's IMO. However, now that i have gone through the trouble of mine leaking once, i would choose an air cooled G5 if i had to do it over again i think.

Yeah, I agree they are good. I love my air cooled mac. The fans are not annoying either. They rev up sometimes, but most of the time I do not even notice them.

Sweetfeld28
Mar 7, 2010, 01:45 PM
The one thing i didn't like about my 2.5 G5 after it was refurbished was that it Rev'd up the Fans when i would do simple tasks. So, in the energy saver system preferences [option tab], I changed the Processor Performance from Automatic to Reduced.

Doing this completely eliminated the Rev ups, and now my G5 is again completely silent.

Eric S.
Mar 7, 2010, 02:46 PM
All of the Macs I have sold I later regretted. I wish I still had my original Mac Plus; I'd like to fire it up once in a while just to be amazed at what we actually used for real work. The IIci was a nice solid little machine, and the Quadra 840av was ahead of its time.

I've kept most of the PowerBooks/iBooks I've had. I even still have the PB 100; its HD died but I can boot System 6 or 7 from floppy and look at that tiny B&W screen. ;)

On the other hand I just retired my PowerMac G4 after transferring all my desktop stuff to the hackint0sh. The PM had a longer useful life than any other system - almost 10 years. Not sure what I'll do with it now.

crazyrog17
Mar 7, 2010, 06:58 PM
Cool I'm glad you liked that mod. Did you have the indigo blue iBook? I bet that looks awesome as that was my favorite color back in the day.

Indigo, yes. Now I just need a battery that actually lasts more than 10 minutes.

That was a great deal....sort of reminds me of my PowerMac G5 that I still own.

I didn't go into the craigslist meeting thinking it was a great deal. I was spending $200 (that took me weeks to earn working at Little Caesars) on something I wasn't sure would even work. Glad it did ':)

All of the Macs I have sold I later regretted. I wish I still had my original Mac Plus; I'd like to fire it up once in a while just to be amazed at what we actually used for real work. The IIci was a nice solid little machine, and the Quadra 840av was ahead of its time.

I use the death tone of the Quadra AV's as my text message alert. Anyone that hears it is so confused, but when I explain what it is, they understand (my geekness).

Quad 2.5 G5 =)
Mar 8, 2010, 11:21 AM

My Quad can certainly do the exact opposite, it can take any Mac Mini into a alley, and leave it dead in there, courtesy of two brand new SSDs in it..and to answer for the graphics..Quadro FX4500>GeForce9400M. I think when I eventually sell one of them, there will be a 1st gen MP to replace the Dual 2.7..and they are both running strong after 5 years, no leaks of any type so far.

crazyrog17
Mar 8, 2010, 12:14 PM
My Quad can certainly do the exact opposite, it can take any Mac Mini into a alley, and leave it dead in there, courtesy of two brand new SSDs in it..and to answer for the graphics..Quadro FX4500>GeForce9400M. I think when I eventually sell one of them, there will be a 1st gen MP to replace the Dual 2.7..and they are both running strong after 5 years, no leaks of any type so far.

Ok, ok. Haha, yes, the quads are awesome machines, but for a single or maybe even dual core G5, the high end Mini might win!

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 8, 2010, 01:16 PM
Ok, ok. Haha, yes, the quads are awesome machines, but for a single or maybe even dual core G5, the high end Mini might win!

If some one had swapped my Mini for my 2.3DC G5, I would not be able to tell the diffference maybe besides the sound as the Mini is completely inaduible and I even have SMC set the fan to 2k RPMs. Does seem it takes the Mini longer encoding video compared to my G5.

Sweetfeld28
Mar 9, 2010, 02:47 PM
Don't know if anyone still using their G5 woould need more ram or not, but i came this on Slickdeals.

1GB DDR-400 PC3200 for $10 After Rebate (http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/31474/1GB-OCZ-DDR-400-PC3200-Memory-16-after-30-MIR)

Thinking about maxing out my RAM. :rolleyes:

PeterQVenkman
Mar 9, 2010, 03:27 PM
My G5 tower was the only true lemon I personally bought from Apple. The final rev before the intel machines. All of our office machines were the same revision. All of them failed within the same one month time frame one month past Apple care warranty.

I don't miss my hot, loud, slow G5 when my MBPro crushes it.

TheSpaz
Mar 9, 2010, 03:35 PM
The one Apple computer that made me the happiest is my first gen Mac Pro. I got it in 2006 and I still have it. It still handles anything I throw at it and it's faster now than it came. It's still a very capable machine. I know it's getting old now and newer computers are far better, but I don't see myself getting rid of it any time soon. I also have a MacBook Pro for putting around the house, but I'd rather use my Mac Pro any time. I also got the Apple Cinema Display for it as well.

I know that if I ever get rid of it, I will miss it, so my plan is to not get rid of it.

If I were you, I would have kept the G5.

TheReef
Mar 10, 2010, 04:25 AM
I miss my G5, a really nice machine.
I sold it while resale was still high before the Snow Leopard announcement.

Daphtdazz
Mar 10, 2010, 04:39 AM
I really miss my TiBook 550 G4. I still think the TiBook was the best looking computer Apple ever designed.

Sure, the reason it is in pieces in my drawer is because both hinges snapped (I did drop it twice, I guess), the really really really crappy Matshita (I always thought that was a telling name) DVD/CD-RW drive stopped working and I finally killed the rest by taking it to pieces (for fun) to see if I could make a corkboard computer from it, but nevertheless it was great in its time and served me very well for 5 and a half years. I still remember seeing the first advert for it in the cinema, (I was about 13) and it just blowing me away. I don't think I can even remember what film it was. Nor do I care!

Got an alu iMac now, which is wonderful, but I need something portable as well, really, not a full fledged laptop, but something more significant than an iPhone... Any ideas, anyone?

Quad 2.5 G5 =)
Mar 10, 2010, 11:19 AM
The one Apple computer that made me the happiest is my first gen Mac Pro. I got it in 2006 and I still have it. It still handles anything I throw at it and it's faster now than it came. It's still a very capable machine. I know it's getting old now and newer computers are far better, but I don't see myself getting rid of it any time soon. I also have a MacBook Pro for putting around the house, but I'd rather use my Mac Pro any time. I also got the Apple Cinema Display for it as well.

I know that if I ever get rid of it, I will miss it, so my plan is to not get rid of it.

If I were you, I would have kept the G5.

I now have (another) PowerBook G4 17", and it is permanently going to stay in my bag to take places :)
I don't care if it's slow..but it sure does look good.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)
Mar 10, 2010, 11:36 AM
I really miss my TiBook 550 G4. I still think the TiBook was the best looking computer Apple ever designed.

Sure, the reason it is in pieces in my drawer is because both hinges snapped (I did drop it twice, I guess), the really really really crappy Matshita (I always thought that was a telling name) DVD/CD-RW drive stopped working and I finally killed the rest by taking it to pieces (for fun) to see if I could make a corkboard computer from it, but nevertheless it was great in its time and served me very well for 5 and a half years. I still remember seeing the first advert for it in the cinema, (I was about 13) and it just blowing me away. I don't think I can even remember what film it was. Nor do I care!

Got an alu iMac now, which is wonderful, but I need something portable as well, really, not a full fledged laptop, but something more significant than an iPhone... Any ideas, anyone?

I'd look for a PowerBook G4 as a netbook. It isn't as powerful as the newest tech, but some of them, especially the last revisions, are somewhat decent to use as a netbook, and the pricing of them is approximately $300 (12"), $400 (15"), and $550 (17"), on Ebay. Picking up more RAM for it, and, if the need calls for it, a bigger HD, or SSD, wouldn't cost too much, and you'd have a nice little thing to carry around wherever. If you don't want to spend too much on a PowerBook, iBooks are going for $230 (12"), and $350 (14")

Daphtdazz
Mar 10, 2010, 03:33 PM
I'd look for a PowerBook G4 as a netbook.

Thanks for the advice, and for a while I was thinking about getting such a thing. In fact I was considering just buying exactly (maybe the 667 version, or even 1GHz DVi thing) the same computer off of eBay. I know I'd be able to do that for under 200 (which is about $200 at the moment I think!). Then I'd be able to play all my classic games on it again! Well, Civ2, at least...

However, my question wasn't entirely serious, as of course the iPad fits my description quite nicely... :D

California
Mar 12, 2010, 09:55 PM
I've owned a handful of G5 PMs and they are really great machines.

Maxed ram and better video cards on them rate them up there with any new mac, imho.

Outside of the age of these computers, anyone still running them needs to keep in mind how finicky they are with hard drives; a failing drive or a slightly wrongly formatted drive would make my Powermac G5s go nuts.

Great machines. Beautiful, too.

Afriendsfriend
Jun 4, 2010, 08:01 PM
My old G4 PowerBook 15". That machine did everything from 2003 til 2009, upgraded to the max I could(HDD and RAM);it also looked so much more like a true Mac than these new MacBook Pros (like the one I am using right now).
Guys say what you want but these new laptops (except for the Apple logo)still looks too much like a Sony or Dell to me. :( I really Hope that the new upcoming design will be a little more unique.

sysiphus
Jun 7, 2010, 08:25 PM
Mac IIsi. Awesome powerhouse with a math coprocessor installed.

Right there with you! IIsi was my first computer (love), too.

I do miss my dual 1.8ghz G5 as well...even though I've moved on from Macs to a Thinkpad, I'd love to have it back to run PPC Linux on.

kbfr08
Jun 7, 2010, 08:32 PM
First mac I had ever got was an iMac G3 Bondi Blue. I was probably 10 at the time, and I saw the imac in a friends closet. I asked if I could have it, and they said "sure, take it", I was so excited. I got the imac home, booted up OS X 10.1, and I immediately fell in love with OS X. Then, two days later the hard drive died, it was put in my closet for a few years. I got around to installing a hard drive a while ago, the graphics chip went after a week, the thing was worthless at this point. I decided to throw it away, but someone else took the computer from the end of my driveway.

So, if you live in NJ, and you've picked up a bondi blue imac from a driveway (pt. pleasant area) with a stripped & unthreaded screw on the motherboard, it's mine ;)

Ukrainian
Jun 8, 2010, 02:53 AM
I miss my Powerbook G5. I got it as a gift, together with an iSight camera. I still have the iSight camera, I never used it.

netsurfz
Jun 9, 2010, 10:34 AM
PowerMac G5 has its charm.

crazyrog17
Jun 9, 2010, 11:04 PM
I miss my Powerbook G5. I got it as a gift, together with an iSight camera. I still have the iSight camera, I never used it.

They never made a PowerBook G5... =( Unless you're joking about that prototype MacBook Pro that was labeled as a PowerBook...?

Love
Jun 10, 2010, 12:12 AM
I miss both of my aluminum PowerBooks.

My PowerBook was dropped on to a tile floor after I was carrying it in from use and my ******* brother bumped me, completely on purpose. It fell and hit the tile. The bottom right corner pretty much crushed. It had managed to ***** up the SuperDrive, and after $500 of repairs (they didn't replace the case, but because of some handy Apple techs, it looked like it never happened). It was always a stunning machine. It was a 12 inch one, it was just great.

My 15" PowerBook is possibly the best computer I've owned. It was quiet, cool, and ran pretty much everything under Leopard better than my MacBook did on either Leopard or Snow Leopard. Twas that good.

But next week, the Mac Pro comes. and all shall be well.

zen.state
Jun 10, 2010, 01:32 AM
My PowerBook was dropped on to a tile floor after I was carrying it in from use and my ******* brother bumped me, completely on purpose. It fell and hit the tile. The bottom right corner pretty much crushed. It had managed to ***** up the SuperDrive, and after $500 of repairs (they didn't replace the case, but because of some handy Apple techs, it looked like it never happened). It was always a stunning machine. It was a 12 inch one, it was just great.

I hope your brother paid for that. Thats just cold man :(

rdp5008
Jun 10, 2010, 03:53 AM
I miss my 1.6 GHz G5, but I am getting it back out of storage in a few months. Going to try to use her as my full time home machine again.

crazyrog17
Jun 14, 2010, 07:15 PM
Allow me to first say... I am EXTREMELY excited about this.....

I just nabbed a Dual Core 2.0GHz G5 WITH Airport and Bluetooth! AND a 250GB Hard Drive! AND 2GB of RAM (might be more, I should've checked About This Mac before the 10.5 install started)!

I know I'd be excited to get this baby at a decent price of $550 or even $600 but would you believe me when I tell you that I got it for

$150! :eek:

Yes! $150! :eek:

Ahhh craigslist. And people not knowing what exactly they're selling. And my audacity to go figure out what it is. And my haggling skills to let it go for dirt cheap... Oh, what a world!

At this second, 10.5 (Leopard) is finishing installing!

I'll report back later, but I'm just going to bask in this glory.

Love
Jun 15, 2010, 07:24 PM
I hope your brother paid for that. Thats just cold man :(

He's a royal prick. He didn't give a flying ******.

OrangeSVTguy
Jun 15, 2010, 07:35 PM
I bought a non-working Quad and after fiddling with it, one of the processors died in it. NO Leaks either so it's a dry system. I removed the bad one and swapped the good CPU to the top slot(G5s will only boot if a good processor is in slot A, top). I ordered a Quad CPU on ebay for $59 so I'm hoping at least one of the CPUs are good as I ordered it for parts. It's still a great machine tho as a dual-core 2.5ghz :D It came with 8gb DDR2 ECC and the Airport/Bluetooth card and 7800GT graphics.

I got rid of my 2.3 dual-core at the beginning of the year for my Mini and even tho the Mini is probably as fast, it just wasn't the same. Now I got the Mini and Quad :D

noodle654
Jun 15, 2010, 08:06 PM
It's amazing how well they keep their value. On eBay, Quads still go for over $800. I still want one, but I will not pay anything over $400.

PowerGamerX
Jun 15, 2010, 08:15 PM
I still have my most nostalgic unit, but I may sell it and spend 50 bucks extra and get one without a dent in the bottom. Sure it wouldn't be my unit, but I'd love it anyway. I may get a G5 tower next year though as the G4 is starting to feel a little bit slow, but faster than many of the netbooks I've tried and has all the features I need.

greenmeanie
Jun 15, 2010, 10:00 PM
got to say I hate the G5 when every time I watch a youtube clip the thing sounds like it is going to take off.

crazyrog17
Jun 16, 2010, 01:41 PM
got to say I hate the G5 when every time I watch a youtube clip the thing sounds like it is going to take off.

Install the new flashplayer 10.1 (came out of beta a few weeks ago)

I can comfortably watch 720p flash videos now, where before they would stutter and freeze a frame for 2 seconds while the audio continued. At that rate, it handles standard definition YouTube videos with ease.

lPHONE
Jun 16, 2010, 02:44 PM
I got a 16GB Dual 2.3GHz that I use it for music production. I got it for $500 and that was 3 years ago when prices were steeper. :D

I won't miss it because I'm not selling it. It runs Pro Tools 7 flawlessly and as long as I don't upgrade my software the hardware will continue to rock. ;)

toothpaste
Jun 17, 2010, 10:53 AM
November 2008, my G5 wouldn't turn on. October 2009, I purchased a Macbook Pro. I love it, that I realized how much I miss my G5. So I went to storage got the machine out, dusted it off and took it to get fixed at tekserve in NYC. Big surprise, Apple replaced everything for free.:D

Now my drives and I still can't boot! :mad: I could put the computer in target mode but no welcome screen. After messing around with it a bit more, the video card for some reason doesn't want to power my 23acd. HMMMM. So I temporarily traded monitors with my dad.

Now my G5 has 2TB worth of internal storage, and sounds like a jet engine taking off. Oh the sweet melody!!!!:D

The only way this thing is leaving me is when they pry it from my dead cold hands!!!

rickvanr
Jun 17, 2010, 12:07 PM
November 2008, my G5 wouldn't turn on. October 2009, I purchased a Macbook Pro. I love it, that I realized how much I miss my G5. So I went to storage got the machine out, dusted it off and took it to get fixed at tekserve in NYC. Big surprise, Apple replaced everything for free.:D

Now my drives and I still can't boot! :mad: I could put the computer in target mode but no welcome screen. After messing around with it a bit more, the video card for some reason doesn't want to power my 23acd. HMMMM. So I temporarily traded monitors with my dad.

Now my G5 has 2TB worth of internal storage, and sounds like a jet engine taking off. Oh the sweet melody!!!!:D

The only way this thing is leaving me is when they pry it from my dead cold hands!!!

liquid cooled? If they fixed it and it still doesn't work take it back! I had my G5 replaced with an 8-core 2.93 before Christmas.

toothpaste
Jun 17, 2010, 01:39 PM
liquid cooled? If they fixed it and it still doesn't work take it back! I had my G5 replaced with an 8-core 2.93 before Christmas.

dual 2.5 liquid cooled....beast:D

rickvanr
Jun 17, 2010, 02:03 PM
dual 2.5 liquid cooled....beast:D

yeah, then seriously, take it back.. they should replace it with a mac pro.