PDA

View Full Version : Issues with MobileMe Backup to iDisk

SteinMaster
Feb 28, 2010, 04:40 PM
Has anyone tried using MobileMe Backup utility? I backup with Time Capsule and also with SuperDuper (bootable image of my MacBook). I also wanted to backup my iTunes and Aperture libraries to iDisk (offsite) just in case a fire, tornado, or meteorite destroys my house. I tried to backup my 16GB Aperture library and 5GB iTunes library several times. Every time I have been getting server interruption errors and the backup stops. I am using the Backup application in the Software folder from my iDisk. Anyone had success backing-up using iDisk Backup utility? Any suggestions why my backups are not working?

rodjam
Feb 28, 2010, 07:20 PM
The Backup application will not work for large, or even moderate backups. Apple claims there is a limit of about 90MB for a backup set. I have been able to make one a bit larger than 100MB, but never larger than that. Backup is essentially worthless on the iDisk for anything but very small backups.

What I do to archive my files to the iDisk is use Transmit (from Panic) to transfer everything in my Documents folder to the Documents folder on the iDisk. Transmit has a synchronization feature that allows you to sync directories over the network, which also works with the iDisk. I do all of this manually, which isn't as nice as Backup's automatic daily backup feature.

flynz4
Feb 28, 2010, 07:31 PM
Has anyone tried using MobileMe Backup utility? I backup with Time Capsule and also with SuperDuper (bootable image of my MacBook). I also wanted to backup my iTunes and Aperture libraries to iDisk (offsite) just in case a fire, tornado, or meteorite destroys my house. I tried to backup my 16GB Aperture library and 5GB iTunes library several times. Every time I have been getting server interruption errors and the backup stops. I am using the Backup application in the Software folder from my iDisk. Anyone had success backing-up using iDisk Backup utility? Any suggestions why my backups are not working?

First of all... you are very smart to want to back-up offsite.

My recommendation is that you use one of the subscription services that specialize automated off-site backup. Two that I am fond of are Mozy.com and Crashplan.com. The advantages between them (in my opinion):

- Mozy: A subsidiary of EMC which is the considered by most to be the world's leader in storage technology
- Crashplan: A lot of interesting options and features... the one that I value the most is unlimited versioning... even for your deleted files.

Both are good, and both are very inexpensive. Everyone should be using some sort of automated off-site backup if at all possible (ie: if they have a high speed internet connection).

/Jim

SteinMaster
Mar 1, 2010, 02:41 PM
The Backup application will not work for large, or even moderate backups. Apple claims there is a limit of about 90MB for a backup set. I have been able to make one a bit larger than 100MB, but never larger than that. Backup is essentially worthless on the iDisk for anything but very small backups.

What I do to archive my files to the iDisk is use Transmit (from Panic) to transfer everything in my Documents folder to the Documents folder on the iDisk. Transmit has a synchronization feature that allows you to sync directories over the network, which also works with the iDisk. I do all of this manually, which isn't as nice as Backup's automatic daily backup feature.

Thanks. I saw the app Cyberduck which also allows you to transfer files via FTP and WebDev (MobileMe). I just downloaded it (for free) and am trying it out. So far, it seems pretty good. I will try downloading some big files when later.