PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G5 Boot Problems

Apple2
Feb 28, 2010, 09:41 PM
Hello All:

When I tried to boot my dual 1.8 ghz Powermac G5, it does something very strange:
After pressing the power button, it displays the blue network globe on the screen in a small grey box. This flashes for about thirty seconds, then switches to a folder with a question mark, which flashes question mark, Finder logo. Then, it goes into the grey apple startup screen, where it stays until I turn the computer off. The G5 is running 10.5 and has 2gb of RAM installed. When I select Macintosh HD from the startup disk selection screen - I got to it by holding down option on boot - the G5 goes directly to the grey apple startup screen - no network symbol or folder. I have not used this computer for 2 months.

Thanks in advance.

leekohler
Feb 28, 2010, 09:51 PM
I could be wrong, but it sounds like your hard drive is about to bite the dust.

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 28, 2010, 10:50 PM
Does it boot with your Mac HDD? If so, go to system preferences and then to Startup Disc. Select your HDD as the boot disk. That globe you see is a network boot option which you obviously don't want.

Apple2
Mar 1, 2010, 10:00 PM
Does it boot with your Mac HDD? If so, go to system preferences and then to Startup Disc. Select your HDD as the boot disk. That globe you see is a network boot option which you obviously don't want.
No, the G5 does not boot at all. When I select my internal drive as the startup disc using {option} on boot (My internal drive is the only HDD that is connected to the computer), It progresses to the grey apple startup screen, skipping over the network logo and folder and remains there until I turn the G5 off. The computer still won't boot into Mac OS - X.