Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pongo94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
The other day I put my iPod in my backpack and I didn't realize that the silica gel pack had burst and the beads were freely roaming around in it. When I went to put my headphones in the perfect sized bead had gotten stuck in the headphone jack and I'm pretty sure it's pushed all the way in :( I've tried coaxing it out with a needle and the whole super glue thing. Any other suggestions before I turn it over to the apple store?? Thanks!

Zgirl

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
headphone jack

The exact thing happened to me! Except my iPod was in my pocket when the gel bead got stuck in there, and like you, I didn't know it was in there, stuck the headphones in and now the bead is stuck. I have tried everything to get it out, even went to Apple where they told me to get a new one becuase they can't fix it. Short of taking it apart myself nothing has worked. On the plus side your iPod will still work in a speaker that doesn't require the headohones to be plugged in for it to play. Sorry to bring you the bad news.

anti-mac

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2011
I did it!!

Same exact thing happened to me. I wondered if I could just somehow break the bead into smaller pieces. I took another loose bead and crushed it with my teeth (I know YUCK!)....so it is breakable. I took a push pin and inserted it into the jack on one side of the bead and used it as a lever to apply as much force as possible to the bead as to possibly break it. After my third attempt, the bead broke and the peices came out! It's in perfectly working condition.

This did take A LOT of force to break the bead so I wouldn't try this method until you have exhausted all other more gentle options as it may damage the jack itself. Hope this helps.

MrRon

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Miami, FL
The other day I put my iPod in my backpack and I didn't realize that the silica gel pack had burst and the beads were freely roaming around in it. When I went to put my headphones in the perfect sized bead had gotten stuck in the headphone jack and I'm pretty sure it's pushed all the way in :( I've tried coaxing it out with a needle and the whole super glue thing. Any other suggestions before I turn it over to the apple store?? Thanks!

Not sure if you need to TURN IT OVER to apple store... there are lots of repair shop nearby can fix this easily. the parts is only about $2-3... ... very easy .. the more you try to do, the more damage you may have done...

good luck

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Not sure if you need to TURN IT OVER to apple store... there are lots of repair shop nearby can fix this easily. the parts is only about $2-3... ... very easy .. the more you try to do, the more damage you may have done...

good luck

Over a year late.

Em2290

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
I have another method...

I have had the silica bead vs. headphone jack issue ruin two iPods for me, each time I got a new one:(. Just take a really thin nail [aka. a finish nail for you hardware people], add a very small amount of superglue to the end of it, stick it in the jack making sure it doesn't touch any of the sides, let the glue set and pull. :] Good luck. [It worked for one of my old 'broken' iPods, but not for the other, so it's a hit and miss like any other method].

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Needle and superglue works like a charm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.