PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air == expensive iPad

steamtoy
Mar 1, 2010, 11:03 AM
Ok. Here's the thing. I got this refurb rev.b 1.6GHz 9400m Macbook Air 3 weeks ago. And whenever I was video chatting with ichat, there is really nothing else I can do. I can't even do normal typing on msn or safari. To me it's literally an expensive iPad with a keyboard.

Do you think there would be any benefit from 10.6.3 with parallels computing utilizing 9400m gpu? If not I have to sell it, or sooner or lator i will throw it out the window.

[Update: It seems to be the overheating issue. I use it on bed for most of time.]

IgnatiusTheKing
Mar 1, 2010, 11:23 AM
Since the MBA runs a real OS and actually has the ability to do a video chat, I find your analogy puzzling. At best.

Scottsdale
Mar 1, 2010, 01:17 PM
The "puzzling" troubles go much further than that... the newest MBA which is OLD, has a 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU and Nvidia 9400m GPU. The iPad has a Cortex A8 based CPU and same GPU as an iPhone, LMAO.

The MBA can truly run the Internet, run Mac OS X and Windows 7, can run Flash, can run intensive applications and drive up to a 30" ACD, and it just keeps going deeper and deeper. The MBA can do everything the iPad can do and far more.

The iPad will be an entertainment device while the MBA is a premium and fully capable Mac or Windows computer. Want to run your business on an iPad? LMAO! How fast is someone going to type a 500 word essay on an iPad? How about video chat? Oh no camera on an iPad. How about running real applications? Sure you're going to get Pages lite on the iPad, but who will want to type on that thing? How much screen space will you be able to see, three lines of text at a time with the keyboard taking up the rest. What about more intensive apps, nope ARM CPU equals glorified iPhone. How about finger smudges all over your "beautiful" 10" display? I will gladly run my business from my MBA while I will use an iPad on vacation to check a few emails and watch a video on a plane.

The iPad will be good for watching a 10" movie while the MBA will allow me to watch a 24" HD movie on my LED ACD or up to 30" display if I want to. The MBA will also play a DVD and has a 16:10 native display vs a lousy 4:3 aspect ration on the iPad.

I can see it now... people packing their iPad, add-on keyboard, stupid black stand-up case, and accessories all in their bag that weighs as much as the MBA. In the end, the iPad user will not even be able to surf basic text websites if they use a Flash-based navigation menu. The iPad is a glorified iPhone... NOTHING MORE and actually less as it cannot even make a phone call.

I agree the iPad has a lot of potential, but it's meant to be a revolutionary device to change the way people read books, get personal entertainment, do extremely light web surfing, and reply to a few emails. Not only that, content will all be PAID FOR on the iPad. No free Hulu as Apple needs to make its "extra" money. No Flash because it threatens Apple's premium pay for everything services.

I am disgusted when people compare the iPad to the MBA. Sure a few people that are using the MBA as a secondary device will leave the MBA... but I suspect they will be back when they find out the iPad proves to be nothing more than a glorified iPhone less communication capabilities. Only difference is the screen size!

None of that even considers where the MBA is headed... 4 GB of RAM, perhaps a Core i7 CPU, an ATI or Nvidia graphics system, 192/256 GB SSD, a real OS, runs all Mac applications and more.

I suspect when the MBA is updated it will be more popular and sell more copies than ever before... as people will realize the MBA is first and foremost a Mac which they can count on for their daily workload as well as personal entertainment, while the iPad is a toy for fun.

Winni
Mar 1, 2010, 01:36 PM
I suspect when the MBA is updated it will be more popular and sell more copies than ever before... as people will realize the MBA is first and foremost a Mac which they can count on for their daily workload as well as personal entertainment, while the iPad is a toy for fun.

The MacBook Air is also just a toy, albeit one for the upper-income executive class. I know some diplomats at the United Nations who love to travel with that class of notebook, because they are so light... and exclusive. But none of those people do more than fetching emails with those computers. They just love to show off their status and position within the hierarchy.

Huubster
Mar 1, 2010, 01:37 PM

I am new in this forum and my heart is warmed by your rational posts!
I fully agree with everything you say. Comparing an Ipad with an MBA is outright ridiculous and should be forbidden by law.
I am anticipating the new MBA rev with exitement!

Having said that...I do think that the last bit in your comments are the tricky bit...The current state of affairs is such that if Apple would release a smelly turd with a touchscreen people would still want it, and buy it, and consider it superior to any other electronic device out there. Probably even if it is "compared" to an Apple device without a touchscreen!

The MacBook Air is also just a toy, albeit one for the upper-income executive class. I know some diplomats at the United Nations who love to travel with that class of notebook, because they are so light... and exclusive. But none of those people do more than fetching emails with those computers. They just love to show off their status and position within the hierarchy.

It is my primary and only computer. Yes I do a lot of traveling, but I also do a lot more than fetching emails only...

entatlrg
Mar 1, 2010, 01:48 PM
I can see it now... people packing their iPad, add-on keyboard, stupid black stand-up case, and accessories all in their bag that weighs as much as the MBA. In the end, the iPad user will not even be able to surf basic text websites if they use a Flash-based navigation menu. The iPad is a glorified iPhone... NOTHING MORE and actually less as it cannot even make a phone call.

I agree the iPad has a lot of potential, but it's meant to be a revolutionary device to change the way people read books, get personal entertainment, do extremely light web surfing, and reply to a few emails. Not only that, content will all be PAID FOR on the iPad. No free Hulu as Apple needs to make its "extra" money. No Flash because it threatens Apple's premium pay for everything services.

I am disgusted when people compare the iPad to the MBA. Sure a few people that are using the MBA as a secondary device will leave the MBA... but I suspect they will be back when they find out the iPad proves to be nothing more than a glorified iPhone less communication capabilities. Only difference is the screen size!

Very well said, Scottsdale. You summed it up perfectly.

I had the 'ipad fever' for a moment but then realized, "hey I already have a MBA and an iPhone", and when thinking it through the ipad for me becomes much less attractive.

I sure hope advancing the MBA is in Apple's plans and that they're not all too sick with the 'ipad fever' that they forget about the Air, the next few months will tell a lot about Apple's future direction that's for sure.

The iPad will be a profit machine for Apple and Publisher's hope for it's success too ... the MBA isn't thought of as such a money maker, that's why I'm concerned.

kamochan
Mar 1, 2010, 02:46 PM

My toy grinds Ubuntu on Virtualbox for Maemo development on a daily basis, among a bunch of other things. This toy is much more powerful than my old Powerbook G4... but I could use another 2G of RAM though ;)

MartiNZ
Mar 1, 2010, 04:24 PM
Yep I'm thinking more and more the Air wins out in most any comparison ... except price and for the 3g iPad ... 3g, and the exciting and novel costs associated therewith.

I just hope that the Air can be made to keep progressing happily, and soon, despite the issues around integrated graphics and Intel.

Scott6666
Mar 1, 2010, 05:49 PM
I think the OP's frustration with the limits of the Air render it to be not much better than the iPad. And that's a sad statement on the Air.

True, there is much that the iPad won't do that OS X will do. But the sorry part is that the OP's Air seems to be crippled enough that it hamstrings OS X to the point where it's just no better than an iPad with a keyboard. And given the fact that the Air is SUPPOSED to be able to run OS X in full, this becomes quite a frustration. At least the iPad will hopefully be able to do what it promises rather than half of what it promises.

It does not seem that all Airs are as limited as the OP suggests. Many report that it is zippy enough. The OP implies that it can barely do one app, let alone multitask. I wonder why the OP's experience is so bad? Perhaps it needs a bare metal reload of the OS because something is really wrong.

Or, there do seem to be two very different Airs out there. The one that Scottsdale has that is fine, and the one that others have that overheat to the point of being inoperable. The truth of the Air seems to be very hard to figure it out.

I know the SSD is a lot of it. The heat is clearly the other part of it. I think the Air really needs a thermal redesign, even if it no longer is quite as thin to get thermal performance really under control.

My issue as a buyer is that since it's so hard to figure out which Air you will get, a Scottsdale Air or an Overheating Air, that I stay away from the thing. I would love to buy one IF I could be I was getting the Scottsdale model. Until I am more confident in that, I stay away from the thing. And look towards the iPad as possibly filling my light-weight computing needs enough to make it the mobile computer of choice.

steamtoy
Mar 1, 2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks for replying, everyone.

I just bought an new MBP13 on ebay, and have decided to sell this MBA.

I guess it's about time to say goodbye to you beautiful machine. Although i like your looking, your feeling on touchpad, and your perfect size and weight. I can't stand your crappy performance and overheating anymore.

I love you but I can't own you. So long...

Scottsdale
Mar 1, 2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks for replying, everyone.

I just bought an new MBP13 on ebay, and have decided to sell this MBA.

I guess it's about time to say goodbye to you beautiful machine. Although i like your looking, your feeling on touchpad, and your perfect size and weight. I can't stand your crappy performance and overheating anymore.

I love you but I can't own you. So long...

I thought you were going to replace your MBA with its so called equivalent... the iPad??? Huh? What happened to the plan?

I hope the MBP doesn't get an update tomorrow! Or you will wish you could return that MBP... too bad you bought it where it probably cannot be returned.

steamtoy
Mar 1, 2010, 11:12 PM
I thought you were going to replace your MBA with its so called equivalent... the iPad??? Huh? What happened to the plan?

I hope the MBP doesn't get an update tomorrow! Or you will wish you could return that MBP... too bad you bought it where it probably cannot be returned.

I will cry if it get update tomorrow. God! Don't let that happen... Don't let that happen...

puma1552
Mar 2, 2010, 12:39 AM
HDD MBAs are junk.

'nuff said.

It still blows my mind that people are willing to throw money at Apple knowing the screens are ****.

Looking back, and being the screen whore that I am, WTF was I myself thinking some thirteen months ago??

And to think, I paid the Japanese price of about $3k out the door with Applecare and superdrive for a 1.6/120, FMLLLL

1rottenapple
Mar 2, 2010, 01:35 AM
The "puzzling" troubles go much further than that... the newest MBA which is OLD, has a 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU and Nvidia 9400m GPU. The iPad has a Cortex A8 based CPU and same GPU as an iPhone, LMAO.

The MBA can truly run the Internet, run Mac OS X and Windows 7, can run Flash, can run intensive applications and drive up to a 30" ACD, and it just keeps going deeper and deeper. The MBA can do everything the iPad can do and far more.

The iPad will be an entertainment device while the MBA is a premium and fully capable Mac or Windows computer. Want to run your business on an iPad? LMAO! How fast is someone going to type a 500 word essay on an iPad? How about video chat? Oh no camera on an iPad. How about running real applications? Sure you're going to get Pages lite on the iPad, but who will want to type on that thing? How much screen space will you be able to see, three lines of text at a time with the keyboard taking up the rest. What about more intensive apps, nope ARM CPU equals glorified iPhone. How about finger smudges all over your "beautiful" 10" display? I will gladly run my business from my MBA while I will use an iPad on vacation to check a few emails and watch a video on a plane.

The iPad will be good for watching a 10" movie while the MBA will allow me to watch a 24" HD movie on my LED ACD or up to 30" display if I want to. The MBA will also play a DVD and has a 16:10 native display vs a lousy 4:3 aspect ration on the iPad.

None of that even considers where the MBA is headed... 4 GB of RAM, perhaps a Core i7 CPU, an ATI or Nvidia graphics system, 192/256 GB SSD, a real OS, runs all Mac applications and more.

i can't believe you type all of that LOL

chrono1081
Mar 2, 2010, 01:50 AM
Scottsdale posts are usually huge lol.

I have to agree 110% with him that the MBA is a whole different machine compared to an iPad.

I myself would love an iPad just for the fact of laying in bed and playing on the internet (but thats the same reason I want a macbook air :eek:) but with the Air I have a full blown OS that I can use to also do coding on which is why I'll be buying an air as soon as it updates (and has 4 gig of ram :D)

duky
Mar 2, 2010, 05:29 AM
It's posts like these that give the MBA a bad name for nothing. The OP bought an older model MacBook Air with the slowest processor and expects it to behave like a MBP. When it doesn't it is compared to an iPad. Why not just go all the way and compare it to an iPhone--at least an iPhone has a camera so in that sense it's a bit more similar. The MBA is not without faults of course but video chatting is very CPU intensive so trying to do that and much more on a 1.6GHz computer is not going to work. Youre probably better off going with the MBP because that is the computer you needEd in the first place. As for the person claimed it is just meant to show off your class and hierarchy -- all I have for you is an 'Lol' - cause I'm hoping that was a joke.

steamtoy
Mar 2, 2010, 08:00 AM
It's posts like these that give the MBA a bad name for nothing. The OP bought an older model MacBook Air with the slowest processor and expects it to behave like a MBP. When it doesn't it is compared to an iPad. Why not just go all the way and compare it to an iPhone--at least an iPhone has a camera so in that sense it's a bit more similar. The MBA is not without faults of course but video chatting is very CPU intensive so trying to do that and much more on a 1.6GHz computer is not going to work. Youre probably better off going with the MBP because that is the computer you needEd in the first place. As for the person claimed it is just meant to show off your class and hierarchy -- all I have for you is an 'Lol' - cause I'm hoping that was a joke.

There's nothing wrong with the processor. Indeed, i believe 1.6GHz CPU is enough for me for all my task. The only problem seems to be core shutdown caused by overheating, and it seems only happen when i use it on my bed. If I put it on desk or other flat surface, no problem at all.

duky
Mar 2, 2010, 08:01 AM
Well then, I believe you already have your solution.

Mr. Jobs
Mar 2, 2010, 08:54 AM
There's nothing wrong with the processor. Indeed, i believe 1.6GHz CPU is enough for me for all my task. The only problem seems to be core shutdown caused by overheating, and it seems only happen when i use it on my bed. If I put it on desk or other flat surface, no problem at all.

THEN DONT FREAKING PUT IT ON YOUR BED!!!
if the only problem is overheating when you put it on the bed, then maybe you shouldn't put it on the bed... easiest fix ever :confused:

chrono1081
Mar 2, 2010, 09:17 AM
Ya putting a computer on any soft surface is a bad idea. It blocks the vents and doesn't let heat dissipate from it naturally. Believe it or not the little bit of a raise it gets from sitting on a hard surface where the feet lift it off is actually pretty beneficial for heat dissipation. (Its one of the things we test for when testing machines at work).

kernkraft
Mar 2, 2010, 09:45 AM
HDD MBAs are junk.

'nuff said.

You must have very short arguments in your family. If you have any.

It still blows my mind that people are willing to throw money at Apple knowing the screens are ****.

I don't know what the four stars represent, but I've had two MacBook Airs (First gen, refurb.) last year and the screen was actually the only thing that I liked about them (apart from the fact that they are so light and slim).

Simultaneously, we've had a unibody MB Pro (2.53GHz, 15") and a unibody MacBook. The MBP has a stunning screen, but the super-mega-hyper glossy glass makes it very distracting. The unibody MB had the worst screen that I ever saw on an Apple portable. In fact, it was so bad that they secretly replaced it with a better one in February, last year. It doesn't matter now as I sold the MB and I also sold the Airs.

I cannot imagine any computer with this screen size that would be better for typing than those 13" Airs. As they are slim, there is less strain on your hands and with the screen, even with minor reflections, you can actually see the whole screen. In Pages' Full screen mode, it hardly draws any power.

Sadly, they overheat, the graphics performance is poor, the hinges are prone to break (Apple replaces them even outside of the warranty period) and they emit considerable noise. Eventually, that was the main reason why I returned the first one in the 14 days period and sold the second one within half a year. But I still believe that with a glass trackpad and with the new specifications, they can be the best portable computers.

Looking back, and being the screen whore that I am, WTF was I myself thinking some thirteen months ago??

And to think, I paid the Japanese price of about $3k out the door with Applecare and superdrive for a 1.6/120, FMLLLL

It makes me feel better that you called yourself that and you also spent a lot of money on something that you hate so much. :D

Scottsdale
Mar 2, 2010, 12:39 PM

I type extremely fast. I have been able to hit 70+ words per minute when timed once. I would say my average post probably takes four to eight minutes to type out depending on how much I want to argue my side of the point.

I also believe if one is going to contribute they should actually contribute with an actual thought that is on a side of a debate. I love debate, and I love being able to challenge either side of an argument. While I love my MBA, I can bash it like it's a piece of crap computer while still being exactly truthful to the argument.

roxygal9
Mar 2, 2010, 02:19 PM
I type extremely fast. I have been able to hit 70+ words per minute when timed once. I would say my average post probably takes four to eight minutes to type out depending on how much I want to argue my side of the point.

I also believe if one is going to contribute they should actually contribute with an actual thought that is on a side of a debate. I love debate, and I love being able to challenge either side of an argument. While I love my MBA, I can bash it like it's a piece of crap computer while still being exactly truthful to the argument.

Really Scootsdale, okay well i have definitely heard all the good about the MBA, now tell me the cons from your perspective? If Apple doesnt have a Rev D by this summer, or I dont like the specs i may go with the Rev. C or the new Sony Z. For the cooling issue I have heard many people say, do the cooling pads that Targus has for example work at all? I cant wait to get my hands on numbers what a great program!

alphaod
Mar 3, 2010, 11:01 AM
OP, you analogy is like comparing a Tesla roadster (the MacBook Air) to a motocycle (the iPad).

Scottsdale pretty much said what needed to be said.

Yes the 4200RPM HDD is slow, but what'd you expect; you have to compromise somewhere.

pmichellon
Mar 3, 2010, 11:25 AM
Hi All,

I took me almost 2 months to decide what to buy: iPad vs Macbook Air?
The presentation of the iPad was a disappointment. No webcam, too big and no real added value to my ipod touch.

Therefore, last week, I bought the Macbook Air (2.13 Ghz and 128 SSD). Not the same budget but for someone who travels a lot like me, this computer is just FANTASTIC.

I can surf, update my blog, take pictures and manage them in Lightroom, Photoshop CS3 works perfectly and I can work on any MS Office document. The trackpad is great and the webcam (which was a must have for me) works great (I can see my family while away). To sum up, so much more than what an iPad can/will do.

Some might argue that the iPad is lighter and probably easier to use with a better battery. Still I find it too big if you want to listen to music. For movies, it is ok but I already have my ipod and watching a divx is possible on the macbook air. The weight of the macbook air is just great and the SSD is very fast. Finally I usually have 3 to 5 hours of battery life. Enough for what I usually do.

The macbook air is not an expensive iPad. They are two very different machines. Before the macbook air, I would consider an iPad. Now, ... no way. Or I'll wait for Rev. 2 of the iPad (probably with a webcam and cheaper).

Note: these comments come from a former 200% PC user :D I'll keep the home server I built last year but any other PC at home will be sold on ebay next week. Next : an iMac (21.5") :p

diabolic
Mar 3, 2010, 11:30 AM
The macbook air is not an expensive iPad. They are two very different machines. Before the macbook air, I would consider an iPad. Now, ... no way. Or I'll wait for Rev. 2 of the iPad (probably with a webcam and cheaper).

I agree they are different, but I'll be using the iPad for what I am currently using the Air for now. I've had the Air for a couple of years, and mostly use it for browsing and email at home along with some light use while traveling. Been really happy with it, but I'm really looking forward to the iPad.

robeddie
Mar 3, 2010, 11:30 AM
THEN DONT FREAKING PUT IT ON YOUR BED!!!
if the only problem is overheating when you put it on the bed, then maybe you shouldn't put it on the bed... easiest fix ever :confused:

Or, what I do is have one of these laptop stands:

http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html

Simple, light, aluminum. No problem with my legs, or the MBA getting too hot.

roxygal9
Mar 3, 2010, 12:28 PM
Hi All,

I took me almost 2 months to decide what to buy: iPad vs Macbook Air?
The presentation of the iPad was a disappointment. No webcam, too big and no real added value to my ipod touch.

Therefore, last week, I bought the Macbook Air (2.13 Ghz and 128 SSD). Not the same budget but for someone who travels a lot like me, this computer is just FANTASTIC.

I can surf, update my blog, take pictures and manage them in Lightroom, Photoshop CS3 works perfectly and I can work on any MS Office document. The trackpad is great and the webcam (which was a must have for me) works great (I can see my family while away). To sum up, so much more than what an iPad can/will do.

Some might argue that the iPad is lighter and probably easier to use with a better battery. Still I find it too big if you want to listen to music. For movies, it is ok but I already have my ipod and watching a divx is possible on the macbook air. The weight of the macbook air is just great and the SSD is very fast. Finally I usually have 3 to 5 hours of battery life. Enough for what I usually do.

Note: these comments come from a former 200% PC user :D I'll keep the home server I built last year but any other PC at home will be sold on ebay next week. Next : an iMac (21.5") :p

This is fantastic feedback from a well former PC user! I also have been a 200% PC user and want to get the current air, as I will use it for the same reasons you do. I just dont want to pay 1800 for old tech., but then again I hear apple is notorious for having issues with new products being released. I guess Ill wait to see if there is a rev. d of MBA soon, otherwise ill be getting the same model as you! Have u experienced any clicking of ssd at all? And do u multitask quite a bit? Also were you able to get used to OS pretty quickly? Being a windows sysadmin i wonder what problems i may have... Also I have a copy of MS Office 2008 for mac, how does it run? I heard it can run pretty slow, but perhaps that SSD makes up for it... Thanks for any input!

Oh and what would you say is a con, if any, of the MBA?

Max(IT)
Mar 3, 2010, 02:04 PM
Ok. Here's the thing. I got this refurb rev.b 1.6GHz 9400m Macbook Air 3 weeks ago. And whenever I was video chatting with ichat, there is really nothing else I can do. I can't even do normal typing on msn or safari. To me it's literally an expensive iPad with a keyboard.

Do you think there would be any benefit from 10.6.3 with parallels computing utilizing 9400m gpu? If not I have to sell it, or sooner or lator i will throw it out the window.

[Update: It seems to be the overheating issue. I use it on bed for most of time.]

What are you speaking of ? :confused:
MBA is not comparable with an ipad: two different worlds.
BTW rev. B of the MBA don't have any overheating issue, so you just got a lemon.

pmichellon
Mar 3, 2010, 03:05 PM
This is fantastic feedback from a well former PC user! I also have been a 200% PC user and want to get the current air, as I will use it for the same reasons you do. I just dont want to pay 1800 for old tech., but then again I hear apple is notorious for having issues with new products being released. I guess Ill wait to see if there is a rev. d of MBA soon, otherwise ill be getting the same model as you! Have u experienced any clicking of ssd at all? And do u multitask quite a bit? Also were you able to get used to OS pretty quickly? Being a windows sysadmin i wonder what problems i may have... Also I have a copy of MS Office 2008 for mac, how does it run? I heard it can run pretty slow, but perhaps that SSD makes up for it... Thanks for any input!

Oh and what would you say is a con, if any, of the MBA?

MS Office runs just fine. Whatever version of the MBA you buy I would suggest to go for the SSD version. Way faster than the HDD versions. I managed to find a second hand MBA (only 2 months old, absolutely mint). With the superdrive (bought on ebay), the whole thing cost me 1000 euros (USD 1300) for the current top-end version.

Quiet frankly, the OS is not a problem, Windows 7 is not too different in a way. I like the GUI of Mac OS X. Also most of the softs you find for Windows exist for Mac (i.e. Lightroom, Photoshop, ...). Therefore not a major deal. What I find really different is the way you install and remove applications. It is more like a copy/paste process in one location. Once you understand how it works you then wonder why Windows does not use the same process :D

The only thing you need to realise is what the MBA is made for. It is not a super power server, it's a very light and versatile portable computer that fits in any bag and allows you to surf, write, program and chat via skype or ichat.

On the con side: videoconferencing immediately impacts the heat level with one consequence > the fans become noisy. Same if you use photoshop for more than an hour. It is not a deal killer though. I just had a chat with my wife for 35 minutes. Two minutes after the end of the chat, the fans are silent again and my battery life time went back from 31 minutes to 1 hour and 32 minutes.

Many people complain about the battery life. I find it already great considering that my Lenovo X series only last 1 hour and 30 minutes in general. 4 to 5 hours is what I usually get. I turned off the bluetooth and set the screen level luminosity to 50%.

As you can read, I'm pretty much happy with this computer. I didn't wait for a Rev. D as the current version meets my needs. And the refurb offers great deals. 2 GB versus 4 GB of RAM ? Sure it would be great to have 4 GB but I didn't notice any particular issue with Photoshop despite my 2 GB of RAM only. So why bother ? Finally I use a NAS for my main files, therefore 128 GB is largely enough. After having installed Photoshop, Lightroom, Office, Skype, Thunderbird and VLC, I still have 103 GB free space left.

I you find a good deal, take the 2.13 GHz version, you won't regret it. ;)

pmichellon
Mar 3, 2010, 03:17 PM
I agree they are different, but I'll be using the iPad for what I am currently using the Air for now. I've had the Air for a couple of years, and mostly use it for browsing and email at home along with some light use while traveling. Been really happy with it, but I'm really looking forward to the iPad.

yep, agree. I see the iPad as the ideal @home gadget. Easy to use, access to internet, great to read a book BUT I still need to be convinced that it will replace my macbook air for my business trips.

To use the iPad as a professional tool, you'll need the additional keyboard to type (already an additional item to carry). Same thing if someone develops a camera for the iPad. My guess is that once you take the iPad and everything else around it you'll find that your MBA weights the same :)

What I like with the MBA is the fact that you have everything on board.

roxygal9
Mar 3, 2010, 03:47 PM
With the superdrive (bought on ebay), the whole thing cost me 1000 euros (USD 1300) for the current top-end version.

Quiet frankly, the OS is not a problem, Windows 7 is not too different in a way. I like the GUI of Mac OS X. Also most of the softs you find for Windows exist for Mac (i.e. Lightroom, Photoshop, ...). Therefore not a major deal. What I find really different is the way you install and remove applications. It is more like a copy/paste process in one location. Once you understand how it works you then wonder why Windows does not use the same process :D

I you find a good deal, take the 2.13 GHz version, you won't regret it. ;)

Man now you got me curious about the install/remove method of osx! Looking forward to it, and will have to hit u up on why i think windows doesnt do it that way! Man 1300! Thats a great deal, I havent been able to find one for less than 1550. Do u mind me asking where u got it?

Thanks for the input very informative!:apple:

ZazenZach
Mar 3, 2010, 06:11 PM

o lord. tl;dr

Scottsdale
Mar 3, 2010, 07:26 PM
o lord. tl;dr

Nice reply. LMAO. I agree and it's my own post.

I searched what it meant because I didn't know -
Literally translates to: That was too long to read.
Really translates to: I'm too lazy to read the entirety of what you said, but I still want to say something.

So, I am already laughing then I read the following...

Said whenever a nerd makes a post that is too long to bother reading.
"omg you postwench. i can only say one thing in response - tl;dr"
"tl;dr...why dont you give up on your unabridged edition of War and Peace or at least stop posting it here?"

I often write far too much. Most people would be shocked that I normally cut at least 50% of every post before submitting. Sometimes it leads to points that have no conclusion... it's a problem with typing faster than I think. LMAO.

MacBH928
Mar 4, 2010, 03:38 AM
For now the iPad is really confusing.
Its really hard to believe that Apple Expects people for have an iphone, ipad, a macbook for on the go computing, and a desktop for heavy load.

the macbook and ipad should merge some how. I am guessing if they made all their laptops where you can flip the screen and make them touch screens, it would be perfect.

But maybe Apple is trying to add a new home appliance that didn't exist before. Think of the pc, people thought no one wanted a computer in their homes before. Or a TV, maybe they thought movies are in cinema only. If you had an oven, why do you need a microwave?

I think that we must wait until apps roll out for this thing and see how others use it, maybe it will solve problems we have that we do not know about yet. But its very clear that its not a computer

maestrokev
Mar 4, 2010, 03:50 AM
I often write far too much. Most people would be shocked that I normally cut at least 50% of every post before submitting. Sometimes it leads to points that have no conclusion... it's a problem with typing faster than I think. LMAO.

Scottsdale, I enjoy your posts. It's good to see someone go to the trouble of answering a question in full, but then I also type over 70wpm :)

CountBrass
Mar 4, 2010, 08:37 AM

I can't believe you quoted all of that only to add one line of drivel.

amjbrown
Mar 4, 2010, 11:30 AM
I normally enjoy my MacRumors fix in an RSS format, but stopped by today as I wanted to see what the opinion was on the timetable for the next revision of the MBA. Just ordered Mrs B a 13" MBP to replace her ailing MB, and thought it's time I updated my MBA. Now I know how exciting this forum is I'll be stopping by more often!

I bought the original MBA, low spec, HDD version. I knew the SSD prices would tumble, and at the time I thought 64gb was just too small - 80gb wasn't much better, but it would do. I have had it a bit longer than I originally expected, mainly thanks to the credit crunch, but also because it is a pretty good machine.

I use a 24" iMac at home. I travel a lot, and I have used the MBA everywhere, planes, buses, taxis - you think of it, I've done it. I run Fusion to get onto my work desktop, I run Aperture to play with snaps whilst still on holiday, I obviously use it for RSS (NNW) e-mail and the web. I have even played with XCode on it.

I still have my old MBP because my original MBA doesn't play games when family etiquette requires my physical presence in front of the TV for some ghastly reality offering, but Celebrity-Strictly-Come-Ice-Factor-Get-Me-Out-Of-Here-Got-Talent doesn't fully engage me. That aside, the MBA meets all my other portable needs.

I hope the new revision allows me to flog both the original MBA and old MBP and move to a single laptop strategy. But have loved the original MBA since the day I picked it up - it does get a bit hot, and the HDD sometimes makes alarming clicking noises, but it is a proper computer, very light, very capable, beautifully balanced and a joy to use.

Now I am challenging Scottsdale for rambling - and I can't type at 70 wpm!

amjb

p.s. I am going to buy an iPad *because* it is a big iTouch!

stoconnell
Mar 4, 2010, 12:54 PM
I really doubt Apple would do a hardware refresh with CeBIT going on soaking up the attention of the gadget world. Not sure if they would roll out a new release between CeBIT and iPAD release. We might be looking into April for updates..

ATiph0ne
Mar 4, 2010, 02:17 PM
I dont understand the comparison between the MBA and the ipad. They are completely different devices. On one hand, the MBA is a fully functioning computer built to be ultra portable, and on the other, the ipad is something people will use to watch movies on planes.

elppa
Mar 4, 2010, 03:21 PM
I'm confused now, if the following hold true…

"The iPad is just a big iPod touch"
"The MacBook Air == expensive iPad"

…then what is the relationship between an iPod touch and a MacBook Air?

Scottsdale
Mar 4, 2010, 07:42 PM
I really doubt Apple would do a hardware refresh with CeBIT going on soaking up the attention of the gadget world. Not sure if they would roll out a new release between CeBIT and iPAD release. We might be looking into April for updates..

Unfortunately, I think Apple might have some big updates planned for the Macs. I wouldn't be shocked if the MBP gets a silent update between now and early April and the MBA, Mac mini, Mac Pro, AppleTV, Cinema Displays, and iLife all get updated at WWDC in June.

I just don't know if Apple can hold out on the MBPs until June... a full year is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion, but Apple marches to the beat of its own drum. I just don't know... I think with the long wait, we could be looking at some new designs even. So maybe not June but maybe a day between April 12 through 29th, Apple has its own press conference for Mac updates. I just think with the WWDC being six weeks (approximately) later, Apple might opt for a full year between updates.

I was convinced that March 2, 2010 was definitely the day... but I have been waiting since October 2009 for a REAL UPDATE for the MBA. With the mediocre teeny tiny spec bump for the MBA last June, I figured Apple had plans. Everyone has been expecting an MBP for three months, so Apple has to do something there. It's now at 9+ months when the MBP usually gets at least a spec bump on a seven month average cycle.

The iPad must be changing the game... along with the loss of Nvidia's GPU/chipset from all Macs. Or perhaps, Apple is waiting on 10.6.3, or a part of some sort. It just seems like disappointing updates the last time had to lead to quicker and much more relevant updates, but that was NOT the case.

I do plan for complete disappointment. If Apple fails, which is highly likely, the Sony Z really could be my future computer. Apple cannot release an MBA with Intel's graphics as the sole graphics non-solution. It cannot release an Ultra Low Voltage CPU. It cannot release only 2 GB of RAM, and it must at least keep a 13" display and full sized keyboard for me to keep the MBA my primary Mac. I bought the "fake rev C" last Summer thinking it would be my computer for just six months until the real update was announced... it has really led to disappointment with its lousy 2 GB of RAM, and without a CPU or graphics system update. I welcomed the price drop then, but right now I just plain don't care what the price is, I want a new relevant MBA.

Come on Apple, if you cannot deliver, a shiny new Sony Vaio Z surely can! With a Core i5 CPU, Nvidia 330 GT, 4 GB RAM, dual SSDs (256 GB total), and Windows 7 driving the hardware I can get really excited if I have to make the switch. Apple needs to deliver now more than ever. Sure I would prefer an MBA, but I will not wait forever and I will not be happy with an MBA that's meant to be a secondary Mac.

stoconnell
Mar 4, 2010, 08:05 PM
I just don't know if Apple can hold out on the MBPs until June... a full year is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion, but Apple marches to the beat of its own drum. I just don't know... I think with the long wait, we could be looking at some new designs even. So maybe not June but maybe a day between April 12 through 29th, Apple has its own press conference for Mac updates. I just think with the WWDC being six weeks (approximately) later, Apple might opt for a full year between updates.

The iPad must be changing the game... along with the loss of Nvidia's GPU/chipset from all Macs. Or perhaps, Apple is waiting on 10.6.3, or a part of some sort. It just seems like disappointing updates the last time had to lead to quicker and much more relevant updates, but that was NOT the case.

My secret hope is that the OS update delay is waiting on NVIDIA Optimus support--which would fit the model for allowing the Intel CPUs along with NVIDIA graphics along with power savings, etc. I would bet they'd keep that under wraps and not release it in test build (esp. given reports of new levels of corporate paranoia). It does seem like the NVIDIA-Intel spat has affected their new product release. Looks like CeBIT ends on 6 Mar. Maybe next week for a hardware update.. so hard to say.

Scottsdale
Mar 4, 2010, 11:06 PM
My secret hope is that the OS update delay is waiting on NVIDIA Optimus support--which would fit the model for allowing the Intel CPUs along with NVIDIA graphics along with power savings, etc. I would bet they'd keep that under wraps and not release it in test build (esp. given reports of new levels of corporate paranoia). It does seem like the NVIDIA-Intel spat has affected their new product release. Looks like CeBIT ends on 6 Mar. Maybe next week for a hardware update.. so hard to say.

I thought the Nvidia Optimus thing was a deal of waiting for Apple to be the first to release Optimus, but that wasn't right either. Several other manufacturers have announced and I believe one or two are shipping now.

I actually wonder if Apple really thought it would get away with using Nvidia with Core i-series CPUs? I mean Apple really invested heavily in Nvidia within OS X itself even. I have read a lot of misinformation and stuff I consider flat out lies. However, this latest Mac mini info including the new Nvidia 9400m GPU/chipset successor really made me feel the MBA and MBP low end would get the same thing, but it just doesn't make sense with the timing. If Apple was going to stick with the Nvidia GPU/chipset, wouldn't they have updated three months ago?

The longer Apple waits, the more upset buyers will be if Core i7 CPUs aren't used. Heck a site could be built around the Arrandale threads over in the MBP section here. Apple is in deep here.

I honestly have no clue anymore. Every date on the book made sense until today. Now, everything conflicts with the iPad until late April. Then, why not wait until the WWDC? Frustrating that Apple is the only computer manufacturers that sticks its customers so badly when it comes to making them buy nine month old technology for pricing that has dropped by 50% everywhere else in the industry.

I really like the Sony Z!!! If it had an Apple logo and OS X on it, I would have bought it already and would have paid $1,000 more than Sony's asking. I have seen Sony computers look better and perform better, but never a Sony that seemed like a better overall solution. However, the Sony Z is Apple-like. Why cannot Apple just update its Macs?

roxygal9
Mar 5, 2010, 08:41 AM
So with the official release date of the IPAD now, anyone think that the MBA may be updated alongside the MBP? Wouldnt that be an appeal to new customers, get your ipad and then look at our MBA i think they could work together for some people. Plus, anyone else think that the ipad will eventually hold all textbooks, etc. for students? I definitely dont think it is a replacement for a computer, the MBA would be great to sync with and is portable. Anyways whos thinking next week a release for the MB line? :)

alphaod
Mar 5, 2010, 09:58 PM
I'm confused now, if the following hold true…

"The iPad is just a big iPod touch"
"The MacBook Air == expensive iPad"

…then what is the relationship between an iPod touch and a MacBook Air?

The MacBook Air is just a really expensive and big iPod touch! :D

iMacmatician
Mar 6, 2010, 07:29 AM
I just don't know if Apple can hold out on the MBPs until June... a full year is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion, but Apple marches to the beat of its own drum.The Inquirer (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1564247/apple-follows-dell-quad-core-intel-core-i7-cpus) seems to think June. I still don't believe that rumor/speculation but with every passing week it seems a bit more likely.

If Apple was going to stick with the Nvidia GPU/chipset, wouldn't they have updated three months ago?I was partly expecting such an update, especially with the last iMac update, but I'm thinking of possible reasons why they didn't do so.

An update late last year would most likely go until the middle of this year, so instead of staying with "old" CPUs, Apple chose to wait a while and go with Arrandale. Interestingly, the reverse happened with the iMac, except that the iMac update had Core ix CPUs, while the MBP/MBA probably wouldn't have. That may also mean the Arrandale update could have Core 2 Duos also in the lineup, although I don't think that's likely (unless Apple really doesn't want the GMA HD by itself in a Mac).
They are planning just one MacBook Pro and MacBook Air update until Sandy Bridge H2 in Q1 2011, so an update around March-May is right in between the last update and Sandy Bridge's release
Something's up with the GPUs or Optimus that's delaying the update. Another possibility is that Apple asked Intel to give them "special" Arrandales with faster-than-usual integrated graphics, but I think that's the least likely of these three. They can still use faster Core 2 Duos (if they remove the 3.07 GHz BTO and make it standard on the high-end), and from the early 2009 iMac update Apple has shown that they can make very small CPU updates. However that most likely won't happen now, that was more likely late last year.

tlinford
Mar 6, 2010, 11:13 AM

This seems a little harsh! I don't actually own an Air, I preferred the robustness of the MBP and the fact you can expand the RAM. I was drawn to the lightness of the Air, however! For those people (like me) who have illness that causes pain in joints, the weight difference of the Air is not insignificant.

Equally, I was hoping the tablet was going to offer a fall OS for multi treading and that sort of thing. However the iPad may provide a great text editor and document viewer the move -- as long as multi tasking isn't a requirement.

Hang on if I can;t run text editor and webbrowser and PDF Preview would it be any good?!! maybe not?

juiceguden
Mar 6, 2010, 05:18 PM
Reading the posts here I cannot help but wonder how you use your MBAs? I use a MBA (think its rev B) and think it works beautifully. I use it professionally as a web programmer and my standard programs running includes firefox with about 30 tabs, eclipse, itunes or spotify and some terminals and the MBA has no problem with this load. Surely, some heavy flash or photoshopping can trigger the fan and slow it down noticeable but not dramatically.

I am planning on buying the highend MBA with a SSD when the next rev comes out and would appreciate to hear how you guys use your MBA (especially from the disappointed).

queshy
Mar 7, 2010, 01:28 AM
The MBA and iPad are completely different animals. The MBA is overall probably more useful (also much more expensive and not as fun to use :P )

acio
Mar 22, 2010, 10:19 AM
I'm using a MBA (rev C, SSD) as my main computer, and an iPhone as my secondary computer. I work on my MBA and I browse the web while in bed with my iPhone. The iPad has an advantage over the iPhone, it's screen size, but has many more disadvantages, less portable, no camera, no phone calls, probably worse battery life. I'm always carrying my iPhone around because it is my cell phone, so it's always there when I need it. I wouldn't carry my iPad around unless I knew I would need it beforehand.

The iPad may be a good replacement for the MBA if you have another computer and you are evaluating a MBA as a secondary computer for light tasks. But in that case, the iPhone would be an excellent replacement for the iPad and the MBA. The MBA is a good replacement for a main computer, but I wouldn't buy it as a secondary computer, because of price.

If you have enough money you could buy all of them: MBP, MBA, iPad and iPhone, and use the best one for what you're going to do.

ddd269
Mar 22, 2010, 01:48 PM
But maybe Apple is trying to add a new home appliance that didn't exist before. Think of the pc, people thought no one wanted a computer in their homes before. Or a TV, maybe they thought movies are in cinema only. If you had an oven, why do you need a microwave?

Very good analogy... especially the oven one. If i may add to your comment...

Some have just an oven, just a microwave, or both. some might want it all and own a toaster and even a toaster oven. Some functions overlap, but clearly each devise has its advantages and cant be compared directly. Can't cook a turkey for 8 on a toaster oven :D. Comes down to personal preference and what you need it for.

Maybe the original post was written in haste/frustration towards Apple, but I'm pretty content with my MBA 1st gen. Got it the first day of release. Had some issues but after several updates, it's been running great for the last 1.5 years. i even use Skype video and ichat several times a day. Rev B, should not have a problem... perhaps since it was a refurb there were other problems that led to the poor performance.

Man, this post took for ever to type... Using a Dinovo Mini I just got. Cant get used to the key layout yet :p

Alchematron
Mar 22, 2010, 02:06 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/21/34012604_60244f0d3c.jpg