Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

123432-mac_mini_hdmi.jpg

Mockup of Mac mini with HDMI port in place of existing DVI port
AppleInsider reports that Apple is preparing to introduce HDMI connectivity into some its new Macs later this year, bringing increased compatibility with home theater systems as well as the ability to deliver both video and audio over a single cable.
More specifically, prototypes of a new Mac mini -- Apple's smallest and most affordable system, commonly employed by tech savvy Mac users as an ad-hoc living room media server, has been making the rounds with an HDMI port in place of its legacy DVI connector, according to two people familiar with the matter.
The Mac mini prototypes are claimed to look otherwise identical to existing models and continue to offer a mini DisplayPort alongside the HDMI port.

As the report notes, HDMI is electrically compatible with the DVI standard, allowing conversions from one connector to the other with a simple dongle. Unlike DVI, however, HDMI also offers support for audio, which would allow purchasers of future Mac mini models to connect their machines to their televisions or home theater systems with a single HDMI cable, as the Apple TV does today.

The report's sources claim that the Mac mini prototypes include NVIDIA's MCP89 chipset, although a licensing dispute between Intel and NVIDIA over chipsets for Intel's Nehalem platform suggests that Apple may have to continue using Intel Core 2 Duo processors in the next-generation Mac mini models if it is planning to use NVIDIA's chipset. Alternatively, Apple may choose to utilize an Intel chipset that would allow it to take advantage of Nehalem processors.

As for Apple's other Mac lines, the report claims that Apple has also prepared a mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter capable of carrying both video and audio. The adapter reportedly had been scheduled to ship with Apple's most recent iMac revision alongside Blu-ray drives, but was scrapped as part of the decision to not include Blu-ray compatibility.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Add HDMI to Macs?

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
- New Macs for 2010 are going to take Apple to the next level

HDMI would be one thing to take them to the next level. And one less thing for people to complain about. Would be great in the iMac's, not sure if I would use it, but still be nice as an option, as I use a 23" monitor for my PS3 and 360 at the moment anyway.

bainesajay

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2003
Canada
Do not understand Apple

I do not get apple sometimes. I love their products but:

1) If you are making low cost desktop computer so hobbyists, people with low budgets, ect ect can get a mac. Why would you be so obsessed with making it so small that you compromise speed and features. Making the mac mini with HDMI, 2.5inch HD, is silly IMO. Why not just make it a big bigger case and use a real HD? this would lower the price, make it faster and somewhat expandable.

2) HDMI would be more useful on the Mac Book Air. Where size is everything. When you have the space and you really can not move much (eg desktop computer). I think more ports, more speed, more features the better. They should consider putting eSATA, FW, USB 3, DVI or HDMI and making a mini a fun hobbyist computer.

HDMI for all laptops so you do not have to go aroudn carrying adapters with you.

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2005
uk
And it seems about blinking well time!! And one less adapter to purchase.

Toodledoo to the :apple:TV

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That would be way cool. HDMI to DVI converters are really cheap, but not the other way around (if you want sound).

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
combined audio and video, so you don't have to keep running extra cables and more importantly adapters.

As HDMI is not a standard for tv's it makes sense to use this in the mini as its very popular as HTPC and also lots of displays now also have HDMI rather than displayport let alone mini display port

lbjsong

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Best news

This is the one of te best news I heard.
I love mac mini due to easy upgradability.

Macman08

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2009
Forgive the ignorance, but what does HDMI enable one to do that can't be done already?

It allows video AND audio to be sent over the same cable.

The current method of DVI connector only send video... you need to use the headphone port (or maybe a set of USB speakers) to send the audio.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
HDMI would be GREAT!!! Any luck to see HDMI on incoming MBP...PLEASE!!!!!!
I do not really care about Blue Ray...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I do not get apple sometimes. I love their products but:

1) If you are making low cost desktop computer so hobbyists, people with low budgets, ect ect can get a mac. Why would you be so obsessed with making it so small that you compromise speed and features. Making the mac mini with HDMI, 2.5inch HD, is silly IMO. Why not just make it a big bigger case and use a real HD? this would lower the price, make it faster and somewhat expandable.

Mac Mini's small footprint and minimal noise are features too.

Guess you don't know that it's actually expensive to get a silent / quiet pc.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The Mac Mini needs a new case redesign in my opinion. Should have a black top (as should the Apple TV).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.