Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chef-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
Hello,

Was wondering if anyone knows something I dont. I have searched for the last hour for an app for my 3gs iphone and cannot find it. I've tried app stores, cydia, rock, and have even asked some people in irc. The app I am looking for is pretty simple...

I need an email-auto-responder. But I need it to come from the iphone and I can't 'just set it up in gmail or yahoo settings'

All I need the responder to say is "okay" to every email that comes in. Anyone know if there is something out there, or how difficult it would be for a dev to make it? This is very important for my success and would be willing to pay!

Thanks

tico24

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Eastleigh, UK
You won't find it in the official app store.
The app would need to run in the background in order to intercept any incoming emails.

I'm aware that you don't want this recommended to you.. but it'll be MUCH easier to implement this sort of thing at the server end rather than the client (iPhone) end. To be honest.. I can't really work out what it MUST come from the iPhone.

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
tico24 is right. Better to come from the server end. Not only because there are no background apps, but because if your phone is off, or you're out of range, or something else prevents it from auto-replying, it simply doesn't work.

The server will send one e-mail to somebody when they send you an e-mail and you've set up the "out of office" message. You can still see and reply to the message, though.

You should be able to do this with any service, from MobileMe to Google to Yahoo to Exchange.

:apple::apple:

oposky2006

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2009
There is no app for that, and there won't be, since 3rd party apps cannot run in the background, so for it to work, you'd have to leave it running all the time, and do nothing else with the phone.

Auto-replies need to come from the server, generally. Or, there are probably computer applications that will do what you want. But on the iPhone - forget it!

windowman

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2009
Setup outlook to use your email address but make sure you check the
(leave messages on server) and set the up to auto respond to them and
have it send a bcc copy to your email and then set the signature up as,

sent from my iphone :)

Breckd

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
Lost Vikings

Can you (iphone people (it seems this is where to ask?)) make an app for the snes game The Lost Vikings? It could be a great game for iPhone applications, not time constrained, puzzle based, funny, enveloping and complicated from a user perspective... I think the programatics would be reasonable from a programers perspective... Please...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.