Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Hi all,

I really want to buy an Apple TV but worried if i buy now a new one will come out tomorrow :) i no what most of the answers will be: if you need it now then buy it, if not then wait! :)

I havent read anything on anything new coming out soon but i can image WWDC or something near then will announce something new! Just know its been a very long time since an update!

Thanks

Ben

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
If you really want one, you should buy one. Seriously, just get one tomorrow and you can enjoy it and feel a lot better. I doubt they are going to release a new one soon.

Captain Planet

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2007
Canada
Honestly, it's hard to say when or if there's going to be new hardware for the :apple:TV. Personally, I don't think you should worry too much about future updates. I don't see Apple doing so anytime soon... although it would be nice and refreshing for the :apple:TV. So, if you really want one, it'll do its job well. However, if you just feel like having one but don't really need it... you can always wait a while. But remember, if you play the waiting game, you'll always want to wait for the newest update and you could be waiting quite a bit. In other words, if you want it, buy it! ;)

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I agree with the above post. While it is clear that apple is sticking with the apple tv, there are no signs of a hardware update in the near future.

pMad

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
I just bought one 3 days ago... so I suspect there will be a new one soon. ;)

/Jim

Thanks for taking the bullet - ;)

I plan on waiting 6 months.
(I should be in a new house by then - when I am, I'm switching from Charter to Uverse and getting a new TV.)

Hopefully, ATV will be updated within those 6 months.
It's been what? Two years since an update?

I'll decide then if I want an ATV or a mini.

BTW, anyone know why macrumors doesn't have ATV on their buying guide?

Simonmiller

macrumors member
May 1, 2005
Belfast, UK
I'm in the same boat - I've been waiting since January this year to buy one and have just decided to bite the bullet as I redeemed some about to expire frequent flyer miles for airport shopping vouchers, I should be able to pick one up in Duty Free at Heathrow.

If a new version comes out that I think is worth it, I'll just put the old one on Ebay to help pay for it. I've just decided that there's no point waiting any longer, as you never know when a new one will come out!

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Frankly, I've found the ATV one of Apple's most disappointing products. I don't use it much and there was certainly a period of time when it was having real software problems. For a while it wouldn't connect with iTunes very well and browsing movies was a pain. Also the selection of movies is limited and unpredictable. Things come and go from the selection and that is annoying. That said, I watched the Hangover a few days ago on it and it worked perfectly. Within two minutes of starting the download, I started the movie and watched it straight through in "HD" (Apple's version of HD that is) and there wasn't a single hiccup. Things seem to be working better these days, but the box still has problems. I hate that I can't turn it off. That's just a stupid feature. And the remote is all sleek but really lacks some functionality.
So I can't really see why anyone is buying it these days. I also have an XBox 360 and Netflix, so I use that at least as much as I use my ATV. That's a cheaper solution because I'm also a gamer and would have the XBox 360 regardless of its movie playing ability. But Netflix gives it free downloads for a $10 per month subscription and the selection is about the same as Apples (i.e., not too great). So why add another box? (Why did I do it? Because I bought the ATV over a year ago and there was no Netflix. Also I'm a Fanboy and I thought ATV was going to get movie selections like iTunes has records. Boy did that not workout at all. The selection is still very hit or miss.)

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Had v1 of ATV. Should have gotten a Mini, IMHO. :D Sold the ATV about a year ago. Thinking about getting the Mini very soon.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
But Netflix gives it free downloads for a $10 per month subscription and the selection is about the same as Apples (i.e., not too great). So why add another box? (Why did I do it? Because I bought the ATV over a year ago and there was no Netflix. Also I'm a Fanboy and I thought ATV was going to get movie selections like iTunes has records. Boy did that not workout at all. The selection is still very hit or miss.)

If you think Netflix's Instant Streaming selection is anywhere close to Apple's movie rental selection you haven't used them much. Not that they should be, Netflix's Instant Streaming is a free add-on to their DVD rental mailing service, while you are paying to rent from the Apple TV. Still, the selection on Netflix's Instant Streaming service consists of recent movies that did very poorly, and old movies.

The issue I have with Apple's rental service is that some new movies are available for purchase but not to rent. I understand that the studios dictate a delay between when movies are sold and when they are available for on-demand downloads, but it just sours the Apple TV experience to not be able to rent movies that you can buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.