PDA

View Full Version : just got a beige g3

jhu
Sep 1, 2004, 09:47 PM
anyone know much about this thing? i was wondering if the video ram slot can accept so-dimms higher than 4mb or if it only accepts special so-dimms specifically for memory.

applemacdude
Sep 1, 2004, 10:27 PM
The Vram slot only accepts 2 and 4mb vram sodimms

seamuskrat
Sep 1, 2004, 11:02 PM
But the beige G3 and OSX like PCI video cards. You can easily put a Radeon 700o in there, or an old ATI Rage Pro from a G4 Mac.

In fact, if you cannot find one, let me know. I have some old PCI cards from B&W G3s I am going to list on Ebay shortly.

jhu
Sep 1, 2004, 11:49 PM
well, i don't really want to spend any money on it. it's more of a toy at this point.

applemacdude
Sep 2, 2004, 12:48 PM
well, i don't really want to spend any money on it. it's more of a toy at this point.

What are you planning to do with it?

jhu
Sep 2, 2004, 05:25 PM
i had originally planned on writing a linux from scratch howto for old world macs, but i'm going to set that project aside and try something simpler such as installing net-bsd on a blank system. that's right, no macos to help out with the firmware update.

cluthz
Sep 2, 2004, 06:04 PM
i had originally planned on writing a linux from scratch howto for old world macs, but i'm going to set that project aside and try something simpler such as installing net-bsd on a blank system. that's right, no macos to help out with the firmware update.

it's easy to put linux on a oldworld mac, i've used both mandrake and yellowdog on a beige g3. All you need is os9 and boot X (its a bit trickier if you only want osx and linux)

btw, both mandrakes and ydls sites have much good info on installing linux on oldworld macs

macsales.com has 4mb vram modules for beige g3s for $19
-tb

Elan0204
Sep 2, 2004, 06:44 PM
All you need is os9 and boot X (its a bit trickier if you only want osx and linux)

Could you explain how to do OS X and linux, or point me to a good web site? I don't have an ADB mouse, and the USB card I put in my Beige G3 to use a USB mouse isn't recognized by OS 9. I could only install OS X. So, I basically have no way of installing OS 9, but I would be interested in installing Linux along with OS X.

applemacdude
Sep 2, 2004, 07:37 PM
Could you explain how to do OS X and linux, or point me to a good web site? I don't have an ADB mouse, and the USB card I put in my Beige G3 to use a USB mouse isn't recognized by OS 9. I could only install OS X. So, I basically have no way of installing OS 9, but I would be interested in installing Linux along with OS X.

Interested in a ADB mouse? PM ME

Elan0204
Sep 2, 2004, 08:35 PM
Interested in a ADB mouse? PM ME

Sent you a PM.

jhu
Sep 3, 2004, 12:06 PM
it's easy to put linux on a oldworld mac, i've used both mandrake and yellowdog on a beige g3. All you need is os9 and boot X (its a bit trickier if you only want osx and linux)

btw, both mandrakes and ydls sites have much good info on installing linux on oldworld macs

macsales.com has 4mb vram modules for beige g3s for $19
-tb

yes, but since i'm a masochist, i like to do things such as 1) entering the nvramrc myself 2) watch text scroll by as i compile everything. also the goal is to install the os 1) without any preexisting mac os and 2) have openfirmware be able to boot directly into the os (which can be done in old world macs with some works).

seamuskrat
Sep 3, 2004, 02:37 PM
Ahh, the old open firmware stuff. Be warned, the beige G3 is funky when it comes to the FORTH in the OF area. I have 4 of these machines, and all behave very differently. Since I have mixed various parts together its hard for me to determine what version they are, but not all commands you find online will work with each model of Gossamer G3.

jhu
Sep 3, 2004, 04:00 PM
Ahh, the old open firmware stuff. Be warned, the beige G3 is funky when it comes to the FORTH in the OF area. I have 4 of these machines, and all behave very differently. Since I have mixed various parts together its hard for me to determine what version they are, but not all commands you find online will work with each model of Gossamer G3.

you must have different revisions then. i have revision a, and after much trial and error (mostly error), i got netbsd installed. now it can boot directly into netbsd. one of the stupidest quirks i found was that the ide hard drive must not be set to master or slave.