Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

N16K NE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Hi,

I've got a MacBook, and download movies from the internet. Formats are often .avi .mkv .mp4 etc. However, when I plug an external harddrive into my XBox, these are not recognised...???

Please let me know what to do - really want to watch movies/tv shows on the TV Screen rather than the Mac screen.

Chers, Nick.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
To play some types of files on the Xbox 360 you need to download a free update from Xbox live. This should be done automatically when you try to play a file.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Alternatively if both your 360 & mac are on the same network. Why not use Nullriver's Connect360 and stream the content directly from your mac to your 360.

N16K NE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
To play some types of files on the Xbox 360 you need to download a free update from Xbox live. This should be done automatically when you try to play a file.

`I have now got this prompt. I had to reformat a hard drive to FAT32. Now, I have got this update prompt - however I do not have LIVE, and am not connected to the internet on my Xbox. Do I need to be inorder to update?

Cheers for your help!

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Yes you do need to be connected to Live, but you can use a Silver Account which is free. Temporarily plug your xbox into your router via ethernet is probably the easiest option, as it requires the least set-up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.