PDA

View Full Version : High idle CPU usage in boot camp?

Jakobben
Mar 2, 2010, 08:59 AM
Hi,

I just noticed that my CPU usage in windows 7 running in boot camp on my i5 iMac i newer lower than 30%... One core is almost at max, one is at a third of max, and the two last cores are idle.

I've cleaned out in the "processes" tab in Task Manager, so that only the vital functions are running.

Does it really take up so much juice to run Windows in boot camp?

Jakobben
Mar 11, 2010, 12:17 PM
Bump... No one has an idea..?

ayeying
Mar 11, 2010, 06:40 PM
Forget clearing out the processes especially since when only 1 takes up like 0.0 CPU.

Sort by CPU and see which process is taking up so much CPU.

okotoker
Mar 19, 2010, 11:29 AM
Same here, just one core is 100% and the disk on and off thrashes pretty hard. Any ideas out there?

Odd part is when I check the CPU load nothing looks like it should be pegging the processor, and yes I did click on show process from all users.

Kalkyl
Mar 21, 2010, 04:12 PM
I had the same problem with my new i7.

It seems as the headphone/optical port is to blame, as you might know the headphone jack has a optical-out built in, if the headphone plug is far enough in it enables the optical function and thats what somehow causes the high cpu load.

Solution is to pull out the headphone plug about one millimeter and the problem goes away completely. Open "Task manager" and look at the "Performance" tab when you slightly pull the plug and watch how the cpu´s goes down to zero :cool:

okotoker
Mar 21, 2010, 05:34 PM
Wow.... that was dead on. I never would have figured that out. Thanks for the info.

Now if I could only get a screen that wasn't jacked up I would be in heaven. 3 displays 1 system swap and still terrible color variation ruins a otherwise wonderful machine.:confused:

nate13
Mar 21, 2010, 11:35 PM
another attack on the Mac users of Windows, by Mr. Gates himself! :p :apple:

splatt
Mar 22, 2010, 07:12 AM
I had the same problem with my new i7.

It seems as the headphone/optical port is to blame, as you might know the headphone jack has a optical-out built in, if the headphone plug is far enough in it enables the optical function and thats what somehow causes the high cpu load.

Solution is to pull out the headphone plug about one millimeter and the problem goes away completely. Open "Task manager" and look at the "Performance" tab when you slightly pull the plug and watch how the cpu´s goes down to zero :cool:

worked for me too. amazing.

any ideas on how to get audio out to work on this thing under windwos without this "feature" being activated?

Kalkyl
Mar 25, 2010, 02:54 AM
worked for me too. amazing.

any ideas on how to get audio out to work on this thing under windwos without this "feature" being activated?

Well audio out works as it should :)
I found another cord with a slightly shorter "pin" (plug). One solution could be to place a plastic washer on the pin so it doesn't reach so far in.

Maybe the standard tolerances for plug length is quite high, the ones in the upper regions might be to long for iMac´s jack :confused: