Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sungajmf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
dsc01676e.jpg

guys, how much would the repair of this damage will cost? geesh i forgot to remove my iphone wire/connector that was resting in the keyboard of my mac, then suddenly i accidentally closed the screen of the laptop. then afterwards, i heard a cracking sound. plain carelessness. :(

what should i do? will the replacement of this damaged glass costly? i do hope MacCenters in Manila can fix this. i'm heading tomorrow to the nearby MacCenter. :(
thanks...v

ThrawnTHX

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
You could try to get this covered under Apple Care, but I think it would be tough explaining this as anything but carelessness/an accident.

sungajmf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
They won't replace just the glass but the entire LCD top assembly so that's gonna be some $$$$ right there :(. Probably $300+ for just the part alone.

ouch...:( oh well i guess i have to bear with it instead. it's only a small crack. do you think i should put some protective screen over my screen to avoid the cracking to get worse?

thanks man. :)

sungajmf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
You could try to get this covered under Apple Care, but I think it would be tough explaining this as anything but carelessness/an accident.

yeah same here i think it would be really tough. :(
it was pure negligence on my part. btw is that apple care applicable to mac's which is 1 year and a half already?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Powerbook Medic sells replacement glass for the Macbooks for $60.

Jatienza3 posted on the procedure
So a few weeks ago I decided to do a little project since I came up on some money, and I wanted to share with you guys how to remove the lcd..

I bought a water damaged macbook unibody (originally purchased Jan. 29) from ebay for $550. After cleaning the logic board and the rest of the internal components, I reassembled it and put it back together and it booted up perfectly. But the only issue was that the backlight of the LCD did not light up, leading me to believe that it was a bad inverter board or the LEDs shorted out. Anyway, I tried one of my friends' top lids and it worked.

My next dilemma was how to replace the LCD inside... since a replacement top lid cost $600 from ifixit/techrestore/missionrepair... I decided to take the plunge and remove the glass myself(without breaking it). Here it is, also a link to the youtube vid I made:

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYu40hH9JIg

You need 2 things to get the glass off...

1. GPS suction cup (or any glass suction peripheral)
2. Thin Bendable Plastic, from misc. product packaging(in the video I used a xbox controller packaging plastic)

First, you place the suction cup on the top left corner of the screen. Apply force by holding on to the metal lid part and pulling gently....do not pull too hard or it will crack.After tugging a few times, there will be a small opening. take the sharp plastic and slide it downward toward the hinges.. do the rest of the sides as the video instructs.

To replace everything back together, You will need some Adhesive transfer tape. The specific one I ordered was this:
http://www.drillspot.com/products/45..._Transfer_Tape

I ordered the LG Phillips LCD since it was cheaper...anyway, good luck to those who wanna try!

To keep the cracking from getting worse I suppose you could try scotch tape. As for the Applecare it is too late to get it extended and they would not cover physical damage anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.