PDA

View Full Version : speakers for college

puckhead193
Sep 1, 2004, 11:40 PM
I want to buy external speakers for my pb. would like to spend $100ish. I would like to have 2.1 system cause space is limited. I like the logitech ones that are the g5 the z58 or something....those are nice but a lot of money and have 4 speakers, do they make a 2 system version of that cuse that would be nice!

mattv123
Sep 4, 2004, 12:43 PM
I had done a post about Niro 5.1 surround. You get incredibly deep and full sound with only one speaker. I had it in my dorm room last year (And this year), and people from all over school are just blown away by it. I would highly recommend checking it out.

I purchased a mAudio USB - Fiber Optic converter for my G4 PB when I had one and it worked perfectly.

Go to http://www.niro1.com/en to check it out. They have a full 30 day return policy and are well priced. As a student at UCSB myself, I must say I am very pleased with it. Take care and good luck!

mattv123
Sep 4, 2004, 12:44 PM
I missed your $100 ish part. These run for about 350 or something. It is worth it, but only if you want to put your money there.

wPod
Sep 4, 2004, 01:22 PM
as a semi-audiophile i would say not to get the niro speakers. i think their web-site is compltely inacurate when it says the speakers work in any sized room. there are no speakers that can do that and have a proper sound. not to mention the single speaker idea. with only one enclosure you would have to have the room perfectly balanced and shaped/sized to get the acurate sound.

but as for the original question, id say go for the creative or JBL speakers that apple sells. ive listened to them in the store and the creative speakers have a bit better of a high to low range. they are both decent sets of speakers for a simple desktop set up. i was wanting to get a pair for my apt (im a college student as well) but just dont have the cash right now :-/ but for the price the creative are probably the best, but the Harman Kardon SoundSticks . . . suck, a lot in sound quality though i still think they look cool, just wish they sounded as good as they looked.

JRam
Sep 4, 2004, 01:26 PM
Klipsch is my speaker brand of choice. When I started college I splurged and got myself their 4.1 setup and I am very happy with them. And actually in my 2 years of having them I don't have a single complaint about them, they have been great. Although I am not a major fan of their new redesign some people are... I found a link for a refurb 2.1 system:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=802

Although this is just after a quick 2 min check, there might be better deals out there though. Klipsch usually gets great reviews in magazines. Although I know logitech also makes some speakers that a lot of college students use. While Im more a Klipsch person might wanna check out the 'ol logi'.

One side point that I learned through experience of living in the dorms, get a speaker setup that has a separate controls for the system volume and another for subwoofer volume. That way when its late out you can quiet down the subwoofer and not have it sound like your hammering in your room at midnight. But then during the day you can have fun again. :D

Koodauw
Sep 4, 2004, 01:45 PM
Check out JBL's Creature Speakers. Perfect for your size requirements. Perfectly in your price range, and good sound from them. Not to mention they look darn cool.

You might be able to find some of the older blue/white/silver, at an even better price than the new ones. The only difference fromt he first to second gens is just the paint I beleive. (with the first gens using a better paint)

Check them out. They are very nice.

EJBasile
Sep 4, 2004, 02:34 PM
JBL creatures or the Bose ones

Over Achiever
Sep 4, 2004, 03:58 PM
JBL creatures or the Bose ones
They have Bose speakers for around $100? O.o

EJBasile
Sep 4, 2004, 04:14 PM
They have Bose speakers for around $100? O.o

Yes there like $99. There called the Bose MediaMates Look Here (http://www.bose.com/controller;jsessionid=B6wlnhpWQVmi1kNqCGS0wFj0RYm0zM8xkfWRFFi8G8ol9s3qtJBG!406086046!980577245?event =VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=mediamate_computer_index&pageName=/home_entertainment/computer_gaming/index.jsp#)

Hey they even come in 3 different colors :)!

wwooden
Sep 4, 2004, 04:18 PM
My friend got the Bose ones a few years ago and they are amazing, I can't believe the bass that comes from those little speakers. They are small and don't take up much space including floor space because they don't have a sub.

DanTheMan
Sep 4, 2004, 06:16 PM
I got these specifically for my PowerMac and they are working out great.

Creative L3500 (http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?prodid=4912)

But then again it depends on how much room you have as the sub-woofer takes up some additional space.

evolu
Sep 4, 2004, 07:06 PM
i'd like to 'second' that klipsch recommendation. There is nothing better for the money. Anyone who hears them in my apartment asks about them. Crisp highs, more than enough bass (with separate bass controls), and fulll midrange power (sometimes lacking in desktop speakers) make these speakers ideal.

I am about to sell mine for $100 (upgrading to 5.1), but a friend already has dibs... check ebay?

BTW, i am a huge music freak and work in music... p

Coolvirus007
Sep 4, 2004, 07:39 PM
Thee bose ones are amazing. No sub but great base. And the best part I like is that it has two audio inputs.

KevRC4130
Sep 4, 2004, 07:59 PM
Amazon.com has the Logitech Z-2200's for sale at only $50 (after mail in rebate). They're pretty awesome. Although I don't have them, I've heard them, and I'll probably get them. They're 2.1, and have 200w (which is a ton, JBL Creatures have like 40 watts) total power. Seems like just what you have in mind.

FuzzyBallz
Sep 5, 2004, 12:09 PM
I'd go w/ the cambridges. Logitechs have obnoxiously exaggerated bass that sounds like crap when listening to music. It's ok for movies though.

Or you can get some quality headphones like the Audio-Technica A500 (http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_36&products_id=319&osCsid=2985207ced77c4f88bfae11ed478af8f).

yippy
Sep 5, 2004, 01:56 PM
I have the Creative i-Trigue 3300. They are pretty good. I got mine forabout $60 after mail in rebates. My only complaint is that they don't handle classical music as well as they do pop music. Rock music you can play on them at full volume and have it sound good but classical has to be at 75% or less to keep from getting distortion in the sound.

Of course it could have something to do with the fact that I am playing it off of 128bit AAC, but I am no audiophile.

I would recomend them.

U2Rules!
Sep 5, 2004, 08:44 PM
I also recommend the Bose Mediamates. Small, big sound, two inputs, fantastic!

tekno_geek911
Sep 5, 2004, 10:00 PM
I would also like to recommend the Creature's,dont listen to what others say...They sound great for the price!

vkapoormd
Sep 5, 2004, 10:15 PM
i have the klipsch 2.1 system with a subwoofer; i love them, and they are fairly cheap. that's my vote;

JeffTL
Sep 6, 2004, 12:13 AM
Headphones are probably your best bet as far as getting good sound for the money with minimal space.

sushi
Sep 6, 2004, 12:28 AM
Headphones are probably your best bet as far as getting good sound for the money with minimal space.
Agreed!

You can listen as loud as you want without bothering anybody.

Likewise, you can tune out other noises as well.

Sushi

dotnina
Sep 6, 2004, 02:14 AM
I cannot recommend these speakers enough. The sound is excellent -- highs, lows, everything in between is as it was meant to be.

There's also a wired remote with a headphone jack! Very useful.

I have the silver ones; they're the exact shade of my Powerbook. :) They have little black grills that you can leave on or take off.

I bought them for ~$90, but they sell closer to $60 nowadays.

Here's a pic of the white ones (mine look exactly the same, but with silver metal instead of white). In this pic, one speaker as the grill on, one has the grill off (as you can tell, I'm sure).

Pomme
Sep 6, 2004, 03:03 AM
I'm not sure if this fits in with this topic, but I might as well ask. (We're on the subject of speakers, at least!)

I'm also heading off to college. The sound on my iBook is tinny, at best, when I don't use headphnes. It doesn't really matter, though, since I now use my iPod for music and headphones for watching DVDs. But I've been considering getting a set of speakers to hook my iPod up to. The product that seems to come up most often in my search is the Altech Lansing Portable iPod speakers.

Is this product any good? Worth $150? Will the sound be any good in a small dorm room environment?

KevRC4130
Sep 6, 2004, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure if this fits in with this topic, but I might as well ask. (We're on the subject of speakers, at least!)

I'm also heading off to college. The sound on my iBook is tinny, at best, when I don't use headphnes. It doesn't really matter, though, since I now use my iPod for music and headphones for watching DVDs. But I've been considering getting a set of speakers to hook my iPod up to. The product that seems to come up most often in my search is the Altech Lansing Portable iPod speakers.

Is this product any good? Worth $150? Will the sound be any good in a small dorm room environment?

$150 can get you a lot of very nice speaker sets. Unless you need the portability, or space saving design, get a nice set of computer speakers (like Klipsch THX 2.1's or something) and hook them to your iPod and/or iBook. The iPod speakers are really only worthwhile when you bring them around alot. If you are just going to have the speakers sitting on your desk, get something nicer/bigger.

jrober
Sep 6, 2004, 02:49 PM
I have just bought the Sound Sticks II they are $200 in the US, but worth every cent as you say. I am using them in a flat and the adjustable bass driver is a great feature.

Fourbin
Sep 8, 2004, 02:02 PM
Another vote for the Klipsch 2.1 speakers. I can't vouch for the new radical style but I have the black plain looking rectangular model and they sound freaking amazing. The subwoofer pumps too...

Just so you know I'm a musician and constantly recording and listening to music and to my ears these things sound amazing.