Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bret27

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Fellas, how do I add more RAM, and Memory to my Macbook? Don't I buy some chip or something, unscrew my Mac, then place it in their?

I have 4GB Memory, and I was looking at "about this Mac" and don't know where to look for the RAM.....

What's the most I can add for each? TY

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
RAM = your memory
Your RAM = 4 GB

4 GB of RAM on your MacBook is more than enough for anything you are likely to be doing, and I am not even sure your MacBook would support more RAM anyway

You can go to Other World Computing and look on their upgrade page to find your MacBook and the amount of RAM it will support

You can also go to iFixit for a video on how to install RAM, hard drives, etc.

You can add more storage space with a larger/faster hard disk drive
But that is a separate issue

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Ha.... oh. Thanks

So that's a ton of space eh?

MEMORY is not the same as SPACE.

Memory, if spoken in computer terms, is the place your system holds data temporarily (it gets deleted after a restart or if the RAM is full) to work faster, as Hard Disk Drives (HDD) don't offer speeds enough to work with them.

SPACE relates to the HDD capacity you have, most likely in the hundreds of GigaBytes (GB) and where all your and the system's data are stored. It is not a temporary storage like RAM (memory), but a permanent, until you delete something as you can see from your other endeavour with the ALL DOCUMENTS incident.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Ya can get 6GB of RAM into a MacBook, although its unsupported. But I don't think you'd need more than 4GB of RAM unless your doing some heavy stuff... =D

ThrawnTHX

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
A question for the original poster: what issues are you experiencing that is prompting you to consider an upgrade?

Are you perceiving general sluggishness? Is there some software giving your MB a fit?

Try to provide any issues you're having--we'll be able to give you better advice and it's quite likely something you can rectify by something as simple as repairing permissions instead of cracking the case.

Bret27

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Ya can get 6GB of RAM into a MacBook, although its unsupported. But I don't think you'd need more than 4GB of RAM unless your doing some heavy stuff... =D

Right. No heavy stuff here really. Mac Word, DVD, Camino, and Powerpoint when I will start lecturing. Thats bout it. ha

Bret27

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
A question for the original poster: what issues are you experiencing that is prompting you to consider an upgrade?

Are you perceiving general sluggishness? Is there some software giving your MB a fit?

Try to provide any issues you're having--we'll be able to give you better advice and it's quite likely something you can rectify by something as simple as repairing permissions instead of cracking the case.

No issues going on. When I first got the Mac, it seemed to get to the Desktop from the start of turning it on. But, installed things since then so...

Ya, no problems just thinking if I should have more space, just to have it. Maybe I am underestaming the size of 4GB Ram. Thanks

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana

Without knowing which model of MacBook, this could be a misleading statement. Older models can only support 2GB or 4GB maximum.

sml238

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
ya your getting a Hard Drive and RAM/Memory confused

a Hard Drive is where you store all your music/files/etc

Ram (Memory) like an above poster said temporary memory that your computer uses to quickly send/receive information, because your hard drive is slower. if you use all of your ram, then your ram starts sending/pulling excess information from the hard drive, which takes longer. this is the time you want to upgrade your ram...

if you download the widget istat pro, it will tell you how much memory aka ram you use, from their you can see if you need more ram or not.

unless your using some extensive programs like photoshop or any video editing, 4gb of ram is more than enough...

if your running out of physical memory like where you store your music/files, then you can upgrade that to a greater capacity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.