Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

151827-quattro_volvo_campaign.jpg

Silicon Alley Insider reports on an Apple job posting published last month for a position dedicated to "next generation mobile advertising". The manager position involves oversight of a team of Apple developers leveraging frameworks in the iPhone SDK for mobile advertising purposes.
The iPhone team is looking for a manager to work on supporting next generation mobile advertising. This will involve managing a talented team of developers working on the frameworks included in the iPhone SDK. The ideal candidate will be responsible for the day to day management of the engineering, as well as related frameworks. He or she will spend much of their time interacting with the engineering team, program managers, other engineering teams, and executives. We need someone who is comfortable working in a fast paced environment with rapidly changing priorities.
A glance at Apple's jobs site reveals several other newly-posted positions related to mobile advertising, including a user experience/design engineer and concept designer based in Cupertino and a web user interface developer in Boston.

Apple purchased mobile advertising firm Quattro Wireless, which is based just outside of Boston in Waltham, Massachusetts, several months ago and has reportedly been looking to revolutionize mobile advertising to address Apple CEO Steve Jobs' view that "mobile ads suck".

Article Link: Apple Building Up Team for Mobile Advertising

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Silly Alli Insider

Just that slimeball, barred for life from the securities industry, Blodget. No need to believe anything they say.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Good. iPhone advertising is absolutely a clunky mess right now, it'll be nice to see solutions.

Agreed. I welcome this.

Developers are already putting ads in. This will simply allow them to put GOOD ads in.

The ads on iPhone apps are basically useless..."Lose weight! There's an app for that!" and other similar nonsense. If you could change that out for demographically targeted ads showing sci-fi DVDs or PS3 games that I'm interested in...well, that'd be a huge improvement.

People complain because they think this is a choice between 'ads' and 'no ads.' Sorry, but it's a chocie between 'good, useful ads' and 'horrible, useless ads.'

Isn't the right choice clear?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Imagine if ads are suddenly in line with the overall user experience when implemented by Apple? if this is what is actually going to happen - it's all speculation at this point.

Wow. Very interesting . . .

tod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Ohio
I hope that the trend is not to assume that everybody is satisfied with ads in their apps. I wouldn't mind paying for ad-free access to at least a few things. But if the ads are good enough, they might just show up everywhere.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Imagine if ads are suddenly in line with the overall user experience when implemented by Apple?

That sounds terrible! This whole "user experience" thing is something completely meaningless. If it means anything, it must be what people are trying to escape from by having their iPhones jailbroken. Add adverts to that and you have a recipe for something truly awful. I don't want ads and I want to take full advantage of my phone's hardware, thank you very much!

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I hate ads so much. If I want to buy something I'll look it up myself on google so the ad company doesn't get their share of pay per click :cool:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I'm interested to see how one can make mobile advertizing a good user experience.

The only idea I can come up with is when the user asks for localized information (aka where is the next steak house?). but google does that already.

Any other ad just sucks battery, wastes my time and blocks part of the already small screen.

I can't see myself listening to a song, watch a video or use an app and get interrupted by a 20sec commercial.

The danger here is that Apple might think they can force ads onto the customer and the developer because the iPhone is such a closed and thightly controlled system.

In that case we have already a Nexus sitting at home waiting to be activated.:D

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Quattro is the name of a mobile advertising company recently purchased by Apple. The Audi A4 was intended as a pun, I think.

A4 chip - like in Audi A4 and Quattro, like in Audi A4 Quattro. Of course, on the pics, it's a Volvo (also AWD).

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
It's all good, but as soon as I have to pay a single cent for an app I will not accept advertising. It's that simple. Break that rule and hey... there's always *another* app for that.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
There shouldn't be anger at this advertising

People are complaining about the cost of their phone plans. These advert options will reduce those costs to the consumer while keeping the Telcos in the black.

People want the Telcos to cut their profits to a bare minimum and be happy they can survive. How rational is that logic? How rational is it for us to reason we can get faster connections, more phone functionality and overall have more money left in our pockets?

Clearly, Apple is investing on finding a Set Group that overlaps with both ends of the spectrum to find the common Set.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
How will ads decrease the cost of wireless plans? And how many people are actually going to click an ad anyways, they're so annoying? I tend to ignore all ads as it is now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.