PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia mulls wireless society

MacBytes
Sep 2, 2004, 01:35 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Philadelphia mulls wireless society (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040902023531)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

dotnina
Sep 2, 2004, 01:43 AM
They have something like that already in Cerritos, CA -- though you have to pay about $40 or so a month. It was Slashdotted a while back.

I think it's neat that Philadelphia wants to do it for free (or very cheap). Good for them. I hope they're successful and set a good example for other cities.

LimeiBook86
Sep 2, 2004, 03:30 AM
They have something like that already in Cerritos, CA -- though you have to pay about $40 or so a month. It was Slashdotted a while back.

I think it's neat that Philadelphia wants to do it for free (or very cheap). Good for them. I hope they're successful and set a good example for other cities.

This would be wonderful. It will show some states and cities how the internet should be. Also it will force local Internet Service Providers to lower their prices a bit. $20-$30 a month all the time (none of that first 3 months crap) would be very nice. I think 56k will soon become less than $5 a month soon, with high-end services for around $10 a month.

The future is here, technology is getting cheaper, and the prices of high-speed internet access should be cut down.

appleface
Sep 2, 2004, 09:04 AM
free or not, it should be great to drive down the price to connect to the net like you guys said. that'd be sweet if they decide to act on this thought.

Abstract
Sep 2, 2004, 09:21 AM
Whoa, that would be awesome. Its too bad that when I read about "crazy" experiments like this involving incorporating technology on a large scale, its never in Canada. Cool things don't happen in Canada, unless it's on Canadian news reporting from America.

nagromme
Sep 2, 2004, 10:37 AM
What would this mean in practice?

Could I just look in my AirPort menu and see the network right there? Or would I have to investigate how to connect BEFORE arriving in each free-Wi-Fi city?

slipper
Sep 2, 2004, 01:37 PM
im not to familiar with WIFI but would it affect the use of cordless phones and other WIFI devices such as PDAs, WIFI stereos, and other WIFI networks?

ckelley
Sep 3, 2004, 02:33 PM
Anyone else notice the guy in the picture is using a 12" PowerBook (and an iPod it looks like) :p

The perfect way to go wireless :cool: