PDA

View Full Version : How commen is it to have and exernal monitor with a laptop?

whw5
Sep 2, 2004, 06:09 AM
Hey guys. I am saving up for the new 20" apple monitor. Is it common to get an external monitor with a small laptop? I have the newest revision of the PB 12". I think the extra screenspace will be great, is this a common occurance?

Coolvirus007
Sep 2, 2004, 07:05 AM
Its quite common now that the there is a 12" pb among some friends and other people I see. How ever, my friends don't have the mini-dvi connection so they have sony, benq, ilyama, etc. A larger screen really makes a difference.

Squire
Sep 2, 2004, 07:06 AM
I think, with the decrease of LCD screen prices, it's becoming more and more common. However, it really depends on personal preference. If you use your notebook on the road and then as a desktop replacement, you might be able to justify the extra expense. Otherwise, I'd suggest just trying to live with the notebook's display. Do you use your notebook as a desktop replacement? Do you find the screen too small at times? If you answered 'yes' to both of those questions, you're probably a prime candidate for a new 30" LCD display. ;) (Or whatever size suits your needs.)

Squire

scottwat
Sep 2, 2004, 08:08 AM
Doesnt the 30" require the nvidia 6800? I dont think the powerbook 12" is going to have the power to run the 30", but I know I have used CRT monitors and LCD displays with my powerbook and even windows laptops for awhile. Especially when programming, its so nice to have the API or other docs on one screen and be programming on the other, or having itunes on one, it does make it nice. Though unless you can afford/need it I wouldnt worry about the apple cinema displays. Nothing against them, but for most users the 299$ 17" lcd screen from anywhere is probably all they need. That said if I had the money to spend I would have a 23" apple cinema on my desk right now!

TDM21
Sep 2, 2004, 08:25 AM
Doesnt the 30" require the nvidia 6800? I dont think the powerbook 12" is going to have the power to run the 30

Thats true.

Also I thought you they said you had to have the 6800 to run the 30" at its 2560 x 1600 optimal resolution. I take it that you can use the 30" display on a mac without a 6800, but you will not be able to run it at the max resolution. It might drop down to something like 1920 x 1200 which would be no better then the 23" display

emw
Sep 2, 2004, 08:56 AM
When in the office I run an external monitor. On the road, I don't (obviously), and I miss it every minute (I'm missing it now, in fact). Having the extra screen space is fantastic, especially on a 20" or 23", and the spanned windows is a nice addition that I use all of the time.

When I'm limited to my 15" PB screen, I almost get claustrophobic.

kant
Sep 2, 2004, 03:28 PM
You can easily become addicted to dual monitors. :eek:

Seriousl, you can. The convenience of having two screen when coding, writing papers (if you're still in school), even just having IM windows on one while browsing on the other is fantastic. Enough so that you'll hate not having the second one when you're on the road or using a different system.

superfunkomatic
Sep 2, 2004, 04:15 PM
i've been using my powerbook g3 firewire for years with an external 17" monitor. i'd love to get a flat screen 20" at some point. it's so handy - if you work in programs like photoshop, freehand, dreamweaver, etc. you can have palettes on one screen and your work area in another.

whw5
Sep 2, 2004, 07:15 PM
Being as my computer is on my desk about 98% of the time I think I'm gonna go with the 20 incher.

rhpenguin
Sep 2, 2004, 07:28 PM
I have a seccond 17" CRT hooked up to my iBook with the screen spanning hack on it. Very nice to have especially since the 12" screen is sorta small especially when working on a desk with lots of extra space.