PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions about upgrading my PowerBook G4 12"

GrimmPenguin
Mar 2, 2010, 08:12 PM
I currently have a 1GB PC2700 RAM chip in my PowerBook. Will I notice a difference if I put a 1GB PC3200 chip in instead?

Also, can you put Ultra ATA/133 Hard Drives in the PowerBooks? Will I notice much of a speed or performance increase coming from a Ultra ATA/100 80GB HD?

GrimmPenguin
Mar 3, 2010, 09:43 PM
Anyone?

iThinkergoiMac
Mar 4, 2010, 06:42 AM
It will make a difference putting in PC3200 RAM... the difference will be that most likely your computer won't boot, or it will boot using the on-board RAM, a measly 256 MB. You could put the ATA133 drive in there but unless your computer supports that standard (I get the feeling it doesn't) nothing will happen.

I'd get a 7200 rpm drive. This seems like a classic case of trying to figure out just how to extend the life of a computer through unorthodox means. Your only option is really the HDD. I guess you could get really serious and upgrade the motherboard (if that's possible, but I don't think it is). But even that won't make a huge difference.

EDIT: Just saw your sig, so you've already got the fastest 12" PBG4 there is. Motherboard upgrade doesn't exist for you.

gfiz
Mar 4, 2010, 07:46 AM
OP, please ignore the above "advice", it is 100% false. If you use PC3200, the only thing that will happen is it will be clocked down to PC2700. So basically, unless you can get PC3200 cheaper than PC2700, there's no value.

Personally, I actually have a 1GB PC3200 stick in mine because it's all I could find at the time and it works fine, just clocked down as I had mentioned.

If you really wanted to get crazy, there are PATA SSD's out there, though I don't know if it would be worth the money and how it would perform.

iThinkergoiMac
Mar 4, 2010, 08:15 PM
OP, please ignore the above "advice", it is 100% false. If you use PC3200, the only thing that will happen is it will be clocked down to PC2700. So basically, unless you can get PC3200 cheaper than PC2700, there's no value.

You could simply correct me instead of telling people to ignore me, no need for attack. Also, the rest of my advice was correct, so no need to tell people to ignore all of it simply because one thing was wrong. I wasn't being intentionally misleading.

Good to know it would just clock it down. I knew that slower RAM would work, but I didn't think faster would work too. Now I know.