PDA

View Full Version : Dual 500 G4 > Dual 1.8 G5...

TENBLUE7
Sep 2, 2004, 06:15 AM
...after years of saving and waiting I've finally made the decision to buy a Dual 1.8 G5 and sell my old Dual 500 G4 to help pay for it.

Was just wondering what kind of difference I can expect once I get the G5 up and running, my current mac has a gigs worth of RAM in it and is more than capable with most day to day things but really suffers with Cinema 4D and Photoshop when under pressure.

The G5 I've got on order will have 2 gigs worth of RAM to start and I plan to max it to 4 before Christmas.

Was just wondering if anyone had made a similar change? I've been using this G4 for the last three years and had a few weeks on a Dual 1.25 G4 with 2 gigs of RAM and that felt really quick.

Thanks Christian

TENBLUE7
Sep 2, 2004, 06:16 AM
...just to add I'm well aware of the bus speeds and processor speeds on both machines and on paper the G5 is far far far quicker.

I just want to get an idea of it in real terms - so to speak.

Thanks

boxerchip
Sep 2, 2004, 06:52 AM
Why would you title the thread too mhz is greater than 1.8 ghz?

but it seems to me like the jump from a 500 mhz to a 1.8 should be about a 5x performance jump, factoring in bus speeds CPU speeds RAM speeds and the fact you will have a new AGP video card.... thats my estimate but again im a n00b... anyone else wana take a stab?

Squire
Sep 2, 2004, 07:11 AM
Why would you title the thread too mhz is greater than 1.8 ghz?

but it seems to me like the jump from a 500 mhz to a 1.8 should be about a 5x performance jump, factoring in bus speeds CPU speeds RAM speeds and the fact you will have a new AGP video card.... thats my estimate but again im a n00b... anyone else wana take a stab?

I think the original poster was using the > sign not as a 'greater than' but rather like an arrow. As if to say, "I'm going from a dual 500 MHz to a dual 1.8 GHz."

As I'm on a 1GHz iMac, I have absolutely no idea how your improved machine will improve your day-to-day tasks. I am jealous, though. ;)

Squire

TENBLUE7
Sep 2, 2004, 07:38 AM
Your right it was ment as "I am moving from > to"

Seeing as I've got to swap all my work and such across from this mac to the G5 I'll open the same Cinema 4D file and render them both just a test.

I know it will be stupid fast, especially if I can get it up to 4gig on the RAM side of things.

Cheers

5300cs
Sep 2, 2004, 08:44 AM
I went from a 550Mhz TiBook to a 1Ghz PowerMac and the speed gain was fantastic. Then I went to a 1.6Ghz G5 and I could still notice the difference. I think you are in for a very pleasant surprise :)

Mr. Anderson
Sep 2, 2004, 08:54 AM
I've played around with a few G5s myself, getting one soon too - and I'm coming from a 450 Sawtooth and a dual 1.25 - the quickness of the OS is apparent immediately. As for the apps, it all depends on what you're doing. Photoshop will be quicker, but video and rendering even more so.

D

TENBLUE7
Sep 2, 2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the replies - that's exatly what I want to hear.

I started on a 7600 many years ago and then onto a 1st gen G3 and the difference then was amazing and likewise onto my dual 500.

Thanks a lot.

MacsRgr8
Sep 2, 2004, 03:50 PM
Just for comparison:

I went from a G4 400 to a Dual G4 1.25 GHz to a Dual G5 1.8 GHz.

Believe me.. every first boot on the newer machine was "WOW!!!"

Going from a G4 500 to a Dual G5 1.8 will be an outrageous improvement!