PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 displaying black lines

lifeinhd
Mar 2, 2010, 09:21 PM
Hey guys,

I've got a friend with a 17" PowerBook G4 that's suddenly started displaying a vertical strip of black lines about 2" wide. Any idea what's causing the problem? I've seen plenty of pictures of PowerBooks with pixel-wide strips of a single color, but none that show black lines. Something else to note is that the problem area is displaying a shadow of the previous window that was there (ghosting).

He's tried all the usual, from rebooting to rubbing the problem area to pressing the metal strip above the keyboard to try and reseat the ribbon cable.

Thank you in advance!

MacLawyer
Mar 2, 2010, 11:16 PM
Hey guys,

I've got a friend with a 17" PowerBook G4 that's suddenly started displaying a vertical strip of black lines about 2" wide. Any idea what's causing the problem? I've seen plenty of pictures of PowerBooks with pixel-wide strips of a single color, but none that show black lines. Something else to note is that the problem area is displaying a shadow of the previous window that was there (ghosting).

He's tried all the usual, from rebooting to rubbing the problem area to pressing the metal strip above the keyboard to try and reseat the ribbon cable.

Thank you in advance!

I believe certain older 17 inch models were infamous for video cable problems. Look up the model number and Google it with the words "video problems."

keithOrbit
Mar 3, 2010, 03:13 AM
the graphic card is ATI Radeon 9700?
if it is ATI Radeon 9700, the problem is the display will be changed or repaired. if no , please change graphic card.

polotska
Mar 3, 2010, 09:37 AM
the graphic card is ATI Radeon 9700?
if it is ATI Radeon 9700, the problem is the display will be changed or repaired. if no , please change graphic card.

Can't really change the graphics card on a PowerBook G4 17", at least not without replacing the logic board.

lifeinhd
Mar 4, 2010, 01:58 PM
He brought it down to an Apple Store yesterday, turns out the LCD's going. $700 repair, more than the laptop's even worth, but he has no choice. He's got OS 9 applications he needs to run, meaning he's still on Tiger :rolleyes: