PDA

View Full Version : g3 as home server?

bcrguy
Mar 3, 2010, 11:30 AM
ok so im going to be getting an older g3 from a family friend who no longer uses it (she has 2 g5's, one at home other at her office) and i wanted to make it a server to transfer old files to to free up space and/or be able to access them from school.. its an experiment more than anything and i think it would be cool as well to transfer files between comp's in my house..
i believe its a ppc seeing as its a g3 or g4 (the white/grey plastic one if it makes a difference) but i have no idea on specs..

anyone have any ideas on a way to go about this??

MacsRgr8
Mar 3, 2010, 03:38 PM
If it's white and grey then it is a G4. A blue and white Power Mac would be a G3.
However.. the G4 range went from a Single 350 MHz to Dual 1.42 GHz.
But, I assume your Power Mac is "dark" grey and white, which makes it max 733 MHz. See pic.

Which OS can you install? Well, you are stuck with Mac OS X 10.4.x (Tiger).
You can get Mac OS X 10.5.x (Leopard) running, but that would put too much of a strain on the G4.

If you run Mac OS X 10.4.x you can setup FileSharing on it. This way you can very easily let other computers (also Windows) connect to the G4 via the network, thus creating a File Server.

Enjoy!

bcrguy
Mar 3, 2010, 08:45 PM
If it's white and grey then it is a G4. A blue and white Power Mac would be a G3.
However.. the G4 range went from a Single 350 MHz to Dual 1.42 GHz.
But, I assume your Power Mac is "dark" grey and white, which makes it max 733 MHz. See pic.

Which OS can you install? Well, you are stuck with Mac OS X 10.4.x (Tiger).
You can get Mac OS X 10.5.x (Leopard) running, but that would put too much of a strain on the G4.

If you run Mac OS X 10.4.x you can setup FileSharing on it. This way you can very easily let other computers (also Windows) connect to the G4 via the network, thus creating a File Server.

Enjoy!

ok so would i then be able to run it as a headless system and remote login from my uMBP(SL) to change who can access etc (if i didnt want anyone else using it for x number of days).. and would i be able to log into it from school to send somthing directly home?

like i said this is just as an expirament (im in a first year telecom course) i really just wanna see and test what i could use an older system for.. i was linda thinking media center in the basement but well see..