Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

163136-layar_returns.jpg

Augmented reality firm Layar today announced that its iPhone application Layar Reality Browser has reappeared in the App Store after a several-month absence. The much-anticipated application capable of utilizing the camera, GPS, and digital compass on the iPhone 3GS to superimpose data on top of live video had been released last October but was pulled in December for a complete rebuild after users reported a number of issues with the application.
We are happy to announce that Layar is back in the App Store and available for the iPhone 3GS. The new Layar Reality Browser has a re-engineered engine under the hood. This new engine makes the application light, stable and very quick. It is ready to handle all the current layers and it is a good base to realize all of our exciting future plans.
Layar Reality Browser is a free application compatible with only the iPhone 3GS, due to its reliance on the device's digital compass (not present in earlier models) for orientation and information display.

Article Link: 'Layar Reality Browser' Returns to App Store

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
is it possible to download even though i have a 3G. I mean, can i have it on itunes just in case if it ever goes from a free app to a paid one? I know i can't use it on a 3G but im wondering if i can just have it on itunes just in case

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
is it possible to download even though i have a 3G. I mean, can i have it on itunes just in case if it ever goes from a free app to a paid one? I know i can't use it on a 3G but im wondering if i can just have it on itunes just in case

Yes, just so long as you dl it on iTunes (since it just won't allow you to on the iPhone itself). I tried it before for a bunch of 3GS-only apps before I upgraded, and it gave me an error.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
just curious, why was it pulled ?

...still waiting for Google Voice app to come back...

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
The concept of this app will revolutionize the iPhone platform.

I say "concept" because it's still theirs to lose.

iBungie

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I installed this app last night and this morning tried it out - it works surprisingly well

The local layer feature allows you to enter a keyword - I was amazed as dots appeared on the radar for things like swimming, skiing, bank etc with links then provided with contact details - all in a semi-rural area of Scotland.

Excellent app.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Typical MacRumors. Not one sentence in the article on what it does. Far more concerned with the drama of being removed the from App Store now rebuilt with a vengeance.

If its even worth buying, I'd have no idea since that doesn't seem to matter, just that its back.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
Typical MacRumors. Not one sentence in the article on what it does. Far more concerned with the drama of being removed the from App Store now rebuilt with a vengeance.

If its even worth buying, I'd have no idea since that doesn't seem to matter, just that its back.

Buying? It's free just give it a try and you will then know for yourself.

finatk

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009

Just downloaded on my 3G and it downloaded and installed fine, DLing in prep for new hardware in June *fingers crossed*

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
I must agree. I loved the app. I didn't even know that it had been pulled. I'm going to have to get the update.

Agreed. I really like the app and wasn't aware either that it had disappeared. Further, I never had any "issues" with the app so I don't specifically know why it was pulled.

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX

Umm... RTFA?

Augmented reality firm Layar today announced that its iPhone application Layar Reality Browser has reappeared in the App Store [...] The much-anticipated application capable of utilizing the camera, GPS, and digital compass on the iPhone 3GS to superimpose data on top of live video had been released last October but was pulled in December for a complete rebuild after users reported a number of issues with the application.

Not to mention, it wasn't PULLED from the app store by Apple, they pulled it because it was sub-par. From their blog @ http://layar.com/layar-will-be-back-on-the-iphone-soon/

We take great pride in our product and are very serious about delivering high quality to our users and our developer community.

This is why we decided, ourselves and not Apple, to pull our application from the Appstore after the number of users reporting crashes exceeded our own quality standards.

We are currently re-engineering the app and we are aiming for resubmission to the Appstore by the end of February.

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Now that I have tried it I can say its pretty good. Needs time to mature. Should be able to turn on all layers at once though maybe you can and I havet found it yet. Should also be able to filter to your tastes.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Its not a bad little app. I could see it being useful when on holiday somewhere new.

Out of interest, how well does it work for the 3g iPhones without the compass? I'm assuming it uses the compass on the 3gs to determine which direction you are facing.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
Out of interest, how well does it work for the 3g iPhones without the compass? I'm assuming it uses the compass on the 3gs to determine which direction you are facing.

I think they state that it is not for use on a 3G although you can download and install it.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Nexus One Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

andylyon said:

I think they state that it is not for use on a 3G although you can download and install it.

Aah, thanks. I'll check out the description when I'm in front of my Mac!

maxcreigs

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010
This app looks really good but ultimately it is whether the data it stores is sufficient or relevant enough for the user. I haven't seen any information that would be useful to me at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.