Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Why does it seem like my eMac display looks nicer than my iMac display? I always wanted to know or am I tripping?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
Why does it seem like my eMac display looks nicer than my iMac display? I always wanted to know or am I tripping?

because the eMac has a crt screen , and crt screens have warmer and more natural colors to the eye , that why i am such a big fan of crt screens ,, i have a nice lcd screen too ,it delivers a good picture, ok it cost more then 5 times what i payed for the eMac , but if i compare for example a landscape picture , on the lcd it looks like a photo , but on the emac the same picture feels more natural, like looking out of a window

wessew

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010
Your iMac display may need calibration. After calibration, it should have the correct color balance and be similar to the eMac. I use the Spyder 3 Express.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
Your iMac display may need calibration. After calibration, it should have the correct color balance and be similar to the eMac. I use the Spyder 3 Express.
does not help really, i done that all too ,even bought some calibrating tools for my mate who did want such a nice picture as on my eMac , has a alloy imac , but after calibrating for a week the colors still feel cold , good perfect picture no argue about that , it just feels cold and lifeless on a lcd
i even miss my crt tv , have a plasma tv and its perfect ,but it lacks this natural feeling too, dont know really how to describe it

ttopp

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
i think the same a good CRT for normal def is still best i think but the plasma is better than LCD for moving pics and HD is better on plasma but CRT pics still good

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Apart from the picture, the desktop simply looks more crisp and clear than the iMac screen....

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I do miss the eMac's amazing screen. I don't miss it's 50 pounds of weight. I think the reason is because it's a CRT, which provide nicer viewing experiences over any flat panel.

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
haha. I think I still have an ~10 year old crt hooked up to an old computer and it still works. Just don't wont to move it too much. :D

My original Apple CRT died about six years ago :( but I've still got the replacement Samsung CRT on my G3 PowerMac which is still in daily use. There's also a "Dell" CRT on this ancient Windoze PC, although in reality it's the exact same display as the Samsung, just with minor styling changes.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
Can the eMac be used as a TV? Can I turn it to a TV?

i can use mine as a tv by simply sticking a dvb-t stick into one of the usb connections , i know it works with the usb 2.0 models , but there had been
tv sticks for firewire around

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.