PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 voltages

Lewisham
Sep 2, 2004, 01:54 PM
I thought I should post this, just so everyone has a heads-up.

I'm trying to buy an iMac in the US with the international voltage (100-240V) rather than the US voltage (100-120V) so all I need to do is get a plug converter when I return to the UK after studying here for a year.

This seems to be a simple enough request, especially as I am getting BTO options, so it's just a case of pulling the right machine off the shelf in Taiwan right?

No :mad:

After being told one thing ("Yeah, I can do that") and then having a problem with my credit card ("UK billing address? No way") I managed to get my hands on a US card. Now they're telling me they can't do it. At all. The best they can do is order a machine from the *UK* using my UK credit card and having me pay the shipping for good measure!

I pushed the guy on the phone hard ("I'd like to talk to your supervisor, I don't believe it can't be done, I just don't think it's that easy with the inadequatt systems you've got") and he said he'd go and talk to technical support and phone me back.

That was two hours ago. Which means I'll probably need to call again. See if the supervisors are out of their "meeting."

It's not impressive customer service, and is designed soley to protect Apple from people buying cheaper goods abroad, but you still have to have the credit cards sorted out. Surely it's cheaper to have just one standard machine?

Hope this is of help to anyone. If anyone has actually managed to crack this problem, I would really like to hear from them.

Chris

Daveman Deluxe
Sep 2, 2004, 02:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that the power supply for all Macs will support international voltages--you just need to get a power cord that will conver to the proper plug to go into the wall.

I may be wrong about that. The tech specs for the iMac say "100-120V AC or 100-240V AC, depending on country of use". So maybe it does matter.

Lewisham
Sep 2, 2004, 03:00 PM
I may be wrong about that. The tech specs for the iMac say "100-120V AC or 100-240V AC, depending on country of use". So maybe it does matter.

That's the nail man. Translation: "American or Everywhere Else, depending on country of purchase"

Chris