Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Hey everyone,

My 2Ghz c2d Mac mini still can't run the 64bit kernal even tho it seems to have all the components to support 64bit processing.

I thought this was something Apple determined which machines can and can't run 64 bit kernals.

Does anyone know if this is going to be updated or it never will?

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Doubt it.

That was a bummer to me as well, but I suspect it won't be addressed as Apple would rather have you buy a new computer.

scyon

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2010
What are you doing on your mini that would benefit from the 64-bit kernel? (genuinely interested)

Raima

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
What are you doing on your mini that would benefit from the 64-bit kernel? (genuinely interested)

Multiple virtual instances using Vmware. Extra memory is always good.

garthok

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
there is another thread on this topic in the past but it didn't give what i consdered a good enough answer. you have to load a hex edited efi to permit K64 booting.
there are instructions on osxbook.com that are close, but actually wrong for my system.
if you don't know what you are doing or can't undo what you've done... don't try it.
linked below is the efi file I am using, so follow the guide to learn how to use it on your early '09 and it's sure to allow you to boot K64. have not tested on anything other revision than my 2.0ghz c2d march '09 mac mini. proceed at your own risk
http://drop.io/hidden/kc3urjxj8v4ymx/asset/Ym9vdDY0LWVmaQ%253D%253D
I used the osxbook.com guide and a google translated version of this site http://www39.atwiki.jp/macmini/pages/30.html
the latter is actually much more accurate and they link to the file I posted above on another host.

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008

It is important to note that though you are not running the 64bit kernel, you are running with a 64bit memory subsystem. OS X has supported more then 4GB of ram for quite some time - if the hardware supported it. Your Mac Mini running the latest firmware supports 8GB of ram - regardless of booted kernel.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003

As the above poster noted, your 32-bit kernel isn't limiting you in any appreciable way. At this point in time, the only reason I've ever heard from people about why they run a 64-bit kernel that I actually believe is "because I can".

garthok

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
As the above poster noted, your 32-bit kernel isn't limiting you in any appreciable way. At this point in time, the only reason I've ever heard from people about why they run a 64-bit kernel that I actually believe is "because I can".

I ran some speed tests today comparing performance of 64bit apps in 64bit mode vs 32bit and there is really zero difference that I can tell. :D
but if you need to check that your 64bit kexts are loading because you are a kernel dev, I am sure it's useful for that :p

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hey everyone,

My 2Ghz c2d Mac mini still can't run the 64bit kernal even tho it seems to have all the components to support 64bit processing.

I thought this was something Apple determined which machines can and can't run 64 bit kernals.

Does anyone know if this is going to be updated or it never will?

My Aug 09 Mac mini 2ghz is running 64bit just fine.. Not sure why yours isn't...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.