Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scooterguitar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
As I try to save $ getting my recording gear...IF I purchase Logic STudio 9 new, I'll opt to pay the extra $50 for the non-academic version (I'm a teacher). But, I found a guy who has the academic version for half that price, I'd easily just get that to save $ and forgo any option to purchase an update a few years down the road as I won't even scratch the surface of what Logic can do.
My question is, what do I need to look out for, if anything? He just sends me the software and I install or is there a transfer, etc involved?
Thank you

scooterguitar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
What does cracked mean? Thank you for helping.
I actually trust the seller froma small forum I frequent, but he was't sure. He doesn;t recall registering it, but I still worry. He called Apple and they said no, but found info on their site regarding software and they say it can be transferred one time with the original user fully deleting it.

RHELF

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
I can not stress enough...DO NOT BUY "USED" SOFTWARE!!!!!

I deal with this in my profession on a weekly basis. When you see someone selling "used" or even some guy selling what he claims is new software on ebay or craigslist, 9 times out of 10, it is someone that bought the program legally, registers it, then sells it to recoup his money back. Or he used it and doesnt realize he has to deactivate his registration before selling it. Then when you get the software, you will not be able to register it because it has already been registered by the previous owner. You just got ripped off. I see it a lot.

The only way to be sure you are getting a 100% legal version is to buy it direct from the company, from a music store, or if you have to go with ebay, be sure it is from a reputable store on ebay, not some guy selling his stuff.

deej999

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
If you trust the seller completely, then they can check the EULA (licence) with the academic Logic Studio. With a normal licence Apple allows Logic studio to be sold once. The full licence must be transfered and all discs, box and contents included in this in full to the buyer with Logic studio completely erased from the sellers computer.

deej

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.