PDA

View Full Version : New G4 PB 1.33ghz and Mistaken RAM

FujiRingo
Sep 2, 2004, 05:52 PM
Hi Folks,

I am a new mac user - just got my first Mac - 12"PB, today.

Since I am new to this game I ordered the PB over the phone from apple.com and got the software a few days latter over the web. The software order went without a glitch - however the PB order :eek:
To start with no order confirmation emails - I phoned to check this out (apparently the guy made an error taking down my email address - and its an easy one goldenfleece@yahoo how can anyone misspell that????) - anyway no emails at all! Web order number failed to work too. So I couldnt check to see if any errors had occured with my order.

In my BTO powerbook I asked for a 60GB hard drive, Combo drive with 768GB of RAM (seems the most popular configuration according to this site ;) ) and anway too much RAM ie 1.256GB on the G4PB is supposed to be heavy on the battery and I need portabaility.
The guy taking the order muddles between 512 as the "Total" RAM as opposed to "Additional" RAM so I end up with 512 of Total RAM.

Can you folks tell me should I make a fuss? is 512Mb versus 768Mb that noticable. Typical multitasking usage will be keynote+itunes + occasional use of iphoto .

OK why did I buy from Apple? Answer: peace of mind - I travel a lot (mongolia next month :eek: ) and I need reliability. For desktop I get it from crucial - because dodgy RAM in this situation is less "life threatening"!. And if its apples RAM I will get none of this "third party" **** if it goes wrong.....And anyway isnt factory fitted RAM supposed to be less trouble free what with its dust free atmosphere etc?

I will complain about the customer service side of things any advice on this front?

All advice appreciated - and thanks to everyone for helping me choose a 12" PB as my first Mac experience :cool:

Chip NoVaMac
Sep 2, 2004, 06:55 PM
Not sure if this will help in the long term.

There is a program call Do I Need More Memory. You run it while you you the programs you use day to day. You may find that 512mb total RAM just right,

Abstract
Sep 2, 2004, 07:30 PM
I'd complain, say you asked for 512MB of additional RAM, and either ask for another chip, and if they don't ship you a new RAM chip, then say you want to return the entire system, then order a stock machine, or order everything from Apple's website except the RAM. I know there's probably a reason you needed to order over the phone, but ordering off the web is much more reliable if you don't make any typing errors in the address and such.

You shouldn't buy Apple's RAM anyway, but whatever.

I'd just order the RAM from Crucial, as it's heaps cheaper than Apple's ripoff prices. Heck, just go to OWC ( eshop.macsales.com ) and order Samsung RAM from there if you're so Gung-Ho about Apple RAM.....its the same thing, but cheaper at OWC. :) And no, factory installed RAM isn't better than installing it yourself. It shouldn't make a difference.

FujiRingo
Sep 3, 2004, 04:30 AM
Thanks guys, for you help.

Ok - I will write first and see if they can send me the upgraded chip for free - I mean that way I save $200. :)

If on the otherhand they say **** off! I guess I will have to find some other RAM ie swissbit which seems good and cheap.

Just more questions: 1. Was I correct in my assumption of the connection between battery life and RAM? Ie more RAM = higher power consumption. and if so how significant is it? Does it also mean more RAM = more heat?

2. I have heard some third party RAMs run at a higher temperature than others - I have a rev C powerbook and heat still is a problem after only 2 hrs (and I have only had the thing 24!) - does anyone have any data on this - is it even true??

Thanks Guys
FujiRingo