Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Welcome to the Fortnightly Challenge. The Challenge is a two-week (fortnight) modification of the Monthly Assignment. The Assignment was created by Applesider and the Fortnightly Challenge by JohnMC.

The Challenge provides a topic for photographers of all skill level to focus on. Comments and critique are encouraged with the intent of improving the skills of all involved. The topic is selected by users in a seperate thread before the roll over to the next Challenge.

As a member of a creative community, it is not my intention to define the chosen topic in detail. It is up to the individual participant to use his/her understanding of the concept provided for the Challenge. Be creative. Knock my socks off! I dare you.

Fortnightly Challenge - March 5 thru March 18

Challenge topic(s): Perspective/Point of View

The challenge will run from right now until : 11:59PM March 18

Be sure to visit and post your images in our Flickr group.

Rules:
1. Photos should be your own work.
2. Produced within the challenge period if possible.
3. All positive feedback and criticism is encouraged and welcome if you posted or not.
4. There is no real limit to the number of photos you may enter.

Challenge topics:
1. Suggestions for the bi-weekly's challenge are made in a single thread which will be set up the week before.

Lets have fun!!!

Designer Dale, Filling in for JohnMC

Add Your Contributions to our Flickr Pool

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
MarigoldFlare.jpg

Taken earlier today, but with this topic in mind. :)

This was the first time I've ever taken photos with my camera hanging upside-down off of an inverted center column. Only problem is that the photographer kind of needs to get inverted too. :p

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
MarigoldFlare.jpg

This was the first time I've ever taken photos with my camera hanging upside-down off of an inverted center column. Only problem is that the photographer kind of needs to get inverted too. :p

The light is very nice and the colors are great. The giant blurry flower up front makes my eyes wonder a bit. I'm trying to figure out your "hanging upside down" commentary. I may be missing something that's crucial to the POV of this shot.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Lettuce in my garden (which I have considered cropping a bit). What do you think?

4407776089_807af5f461_b.jpg

Interesting, but there is a good bit of foreground out of focus. Maybe a crop would be in order. I wonder how it would look with a 16:9 crop or something wide.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Sky_V_1.jpg

Very effective use of perspective and I like the almost B&W look.

Moss

img0110yz.jpg

Canon 450D/XSi
18-55 mm kit lens
f/22
ISO 80

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Lettuce in my garden (which I have considered cropping a bit). What do you think?

I think I'd wait to crop it until it is ready to eat.
Oh. That's not what you meant, is it?

I agree with Jeff. The out of focus foreground takes up an entire 1/3 of the frame. If there were some lines to carry the eye then I think that much foreground could work. As is, I have to force myself to look at the area of focus.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I think I'd wait to crop it until it is ready to eat.
Oh. That's not what you meant, is it?

I agree with Jeff. The out of focus foreground takes up an entire 1/3 of the frame. If there were some lines to carry the eye then I think that much foreground could work. As is, I have to force myself to look at the area of focus.
You beat me to it! I suddenly noticed what I'd written - but bang - toooooooo late. But yes the photo needs a crop.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I'm trying to figure out your "hanging upside down" commentary. I may be missing something that's crucial to the POV of this shot.

Well, my point of view was very much inverted, that's all. I had the center column of my tripod inverted (hanging down between the three legs), and the camera was therefore upside down, very close to the ground. Since I wasn't shooting tethered, I nearly had to stand on my head to see the camera's LCD displays and make changes. Not exactly comfortable, but it was the only way to get the camera so low on the tripod.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Well, my point of view was very much inverted, that's all. I had the center column of my tripod inverted (hanging down between the three legs), and the camera was therefore upside down, very close to the ground. Since I wasn't shooting tethered, I nearly had to stand on my head to see the camera's LCD displays and make changes. Not exactly comfortable, but it was the only way to get the camera so low on the tripod.

Aha, I get it now. I've never really thought about doing that with a tripod but that's great. I really need a new one. My poor battered Wal-Mart special is not very useful for much.

I'm glad someone has signs of spring around. Really tired of the winter here.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
MarigoldFlare.jpg

I love the colors and actually like the focus being more on the single flower emerging up from the right... ideally the frontmost flower would be a bit smaller (any chance of rearranging these... ;)) but for me it is a lovely picture to look at. It makes me feel like I'm lying there in the grass surrounded by wildflowers. The only criticism I have is minor-- it appears a bit to sharpened to me. It could just be the light on the edges, but a very slight softening of the edges would give it an even more dreamy feel to me. :)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I love the colors and actually like the focus being more on the single flower emerging up from the right... ideally the frontmost flower would be a bit smaller (any chance of rearranging these... ;)) but for me it is a lovely picture to look at. It makes me feel like I'm lying there in the grass surrounded by wildflowers. The only criticism I have is minor-- it appears a bit to sharpened to me. It could just be the light on the edges, but a very slight softening of the edges would give it an even more dreamy feel to me. :)

Thanks for the comment, pdxflint. Yeah, I really couldn't have the foreground flowers be in focus because then I would lose my subject (the one flower in focus). And I didn't want to reverse the relationship because then I would just be repeating what I did last Spring. :p I took this shot of that same patch of flowers last year:

BacklitBeauty.jpg

I like that^^ shot a lot, but of course I don't want to repeat it.

As for the sharpness and dreamy quality in this year's version, I have a treatment in mind that might help make it even more dreamy, so I'll try it when I get a chance and will report back. However, I wouldn't just drop the sharpness, again because I need the sharpness to make my subject pop out as much as possible in a frame that has so much going on in it. I think shots with multiple flowers in them really need to have a very strong subject/point of resolution. I got lucky with the perfectly located bit of flare; that definitely helps to pick out the subject, but I think I need the other factors too (backlighting halo and sharpness).

Anyway, thanks for the comment. I'll try some things with it and will post again if I can improve it. :)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
OK, there are going to be a lot of marigolds on this page...sorry!!

So I think this is as dreamy as this one is going to get:

MarigoldFlare2.jpg

I'm going to have to return to the marigold patch for another take. I'm not done with it yet. This shot isn't going to stand as my Spring 2010 marigold poster. :cool: The shot I really had in mind would have required me to put the tripod in a position that might harm some flowers, but maybe on another day the flowers will be leaning in more favorable positions. It's not my patch of marigolds, so I have to set up shop on a sidewalk in front of some stranger's house. I wonder if they've noticed me out there. :eek:

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I've had a problem posting all day. I am composing my post as usual and then trying to attach my photo as usual. When I click the attachment button nothing happens. All of the other buttons work and the problem is the same in Safari and Firefox. Any ideas?

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Literal Perspective/Spiritual Point of View

pluchapel2.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/125s f/5.6 ISO100 Kit Lens @ 18mm

Dale

Nice perspective. I am visually losing the spirituality element. I would like to see the image brighter with some vignetting to draw my eye to the statue. As is, the lines draw my eye right off the top of the frame.

I'll bite right away but must break the taken in challenge period rule by a little.

Sky_V_1.jpg

Very well done. I definitely get the dark and dirty feel of the city canyons.

Up in the balloon (clickable)

I have a similar shot on slide film from 20-25 years ago. I haven't been able to locate it for a while. This image is very well done. It isn't a training photo but fire is still a theme. Go figure. :D:D:D

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
This is a repost. I don't have much for this topic. I am going to shoot some stuff this weekend. BTW: whatever wasn't working before is working now.

Attachments

• Blade-2b.jpg
    Blade-2b.jpg
    923.2 KB · Views: 104

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
I have a similar shot on slide film from 20-25 years ago. I haven't been able to locate it for a while. This image is very well done. It isn't a training photo but fire is still a theme. Go figure. :D:D:D

Thanks, it just seems to find me no matter where I go. Destined for the career I guess. :D

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Phrasikleia, I like the softer treatment of the image better than the first one. Maybe knock on their door and ask them if you can camp out in their flower garden... ;)

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Recently at the Lincoln Memorial. It should be nice this weekend so I hope I can get some new shots for this challenge.

4410125154_0203ec9aa3_b.jpg

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.