PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 Won't boot up!

crashxb
Mar 5, 2010, 02:28 AM
I have an iBook G4 which I recently replaced the HD in. I managed to install the software disc that comes with the computer, and start it up with no problem. But then it froze after only a few minutes of activity, and the I had no choice but to reboot it by holding down the power button. I then restarted it, and successfully logged in, but then it froze again after a few minutes. I found that if I left it unplugged for at least 20 minutes or more, and restarted it, I was able to stay logged in for a few minutes longer before it froze. After this happened a few times, for some reason when I started it up, it showed the network icon for a while before switching to the folder with the mac face flashing to the question mark. I've tried booting the computer with several different key strokes, but nothing has worked. And sadly, the start up chime has stopped chiming for some reason, so I can't hear it and have to guess. I've even tried starting it up with the software disc, holding down the command key, or the 'c' key. Nothing works. Any suggestions?

eRondeau
Mar 5, 2010, 02:32 AM
Maybe open it up again and re-check all the wiring connections? And pull the memory modules out and re-seat them. Couldn't hurt....... :apple:

crashxb
Mar 5, 2010, 02:48 PM
I've reopened it several times, and all the wires are connected.

msjones
Mar 5, 2010, 02:55 PM
have you tried a pram reset?

crashxb
Mar 5, 2010, 03:06 PM
Yes. But I don't know if maybe I'm not hitting the keys at the right moment, because there's been no change in the way it boots up. It always goes to the folder flashing back and forth from the mac face to the question mark.

msjones
Mar 5, 2010, 03:17 PM
check here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

You should hear the startup chime, then the screen should go black because the machine is rebooting then another chime and hopefully a boot into the desktop.

crashxb
Mar 5, 2010, 03:23 PM
Like I said before, I'm not hearing the start up chime anymore for some reason.

Even when I do exactly what it says, "Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes." when I turn it back on it goes back to the folder with the mac face.

crashxb
Mar 7, 2010, 04:18 PM
I left it on all night, to see if anything different would happen. When I woke up this morning, the folder on the screen was gone, and it's flashing through a sequence of colors. Does this mean anything??

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 7, 2010, 06:55 PM
Sounds like you have the very common logic board problem. Firmly press on the bottom near the battery release lock. There's a little chip in there that gets micro-cracks in the solder connections from the logic board flexing. When you changed the hard drive, you more than likely put more stress on it and caused it to flex. I've had about 5 iBooks with this problem before and there's no permanent fix besides replacing the logic board.

crashxb
Mar 8, 2010, 12:02 AM
Sounds like you have the very common logic board problem. Firmly press on the bottom near the battery release lock. There's a little chip in there that gets micro-cracks in the solder connections from the logic board flexing. When you changed the hard drive, you more than likely put more stress on it and caused it to flex. I've had about 5 iBooks with this problem before and there's no permanent fix besides replacing the logic board.

What's supposed to happen when I apply the pressure? I really hope it's not my logic board, I really can't afford anymore repairs, or parts and I really need the mobility that comes with a laptop. *sigh*

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 8, 2010, 09:32 AM
What's supposed to happen when I apply the pressure? I really hope it's not my logic board, I really can't afford anymore repairs, or parts and I really need the mobility that comes with a laptop. *sigh*

It's supposed to push that chip back on the board making it run/boot.

crashxb
Mar 8, 2010, 02:40 PM
It's supposed to push that chip back on the board making it run/boot.

Well I've been pushing, but it hasn't made a difference. :confused:

crashxb
Mar 9, 2010, 03:50 PM
So in my desperation, I've managed to get the blue screen with the refresh arrow and the continue arrow to come up by holding down the Option key. But the install disc isn't showing up, and neither is the HD even when I click on the refresh button. What can I do to get the disc to show up?

California
Mar 9, 2010, 05:30 PM
You have the famous video chip problem.

You need to shim the logic board yourself (google around for ideas on how others have done this) or have the board reflowed by a professional.

You actually apply pressure to the left of the trackpad from either the palmrest or from underneath the case.

crashxb
Mar 9, 2010, 09:23 PM
You have the famous video chip problem.

You need to shim the logic board yourself (google around for ideas on how others have done this) or have the board reflowed by a professional.

You actually apply pressure to the left of the trackpad from either the palmrest or from underneath the case.

I've been applying pressure to those areas, and there has been no change at all... Does I definitely need to shim the logic board?? :confused: