Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jays

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2002
Earth
well apple has posted yet another security update , rush to your Software Update panel.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
I, for one, am thrilled at the regularity (dare I say monotony) of Security Updates.

As Apple users, we are seldom faced with the vulnerabilities that plague our less enlightened friends who use that other OS, yet we are still being deluged with Security Updates. This means that Apple is taking a proactive stance about our data, our bandwidth, our machines, and their image.

I would much rather see an OS which is seldom (if ever) brougt down by malicious exploits issue Security Updates before those exploit become commonly known. BSD is famous for being vault like. OSX seems to be keeping up the tradition.

Thank god its not like the other side of the fence, when the 'Critical Update' is released weeks after your data is compromised!

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
scurity is nice, but who has ever had a virus on a mac, maybew this update might be for webservers, but its not really a big thing anymore

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
My father got a virus on his newly purchased iMac G3 a while back, to answer your question.

>(Nipsy)Thank god its not like the other side of the fence, when the 'Critical Update' is released weeks after your data is compromised!

I think that the other side of the fence has barbed wire traps, so you have to wear gloves to save your data there. :p :D

vitruvius

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2002
Caracas, Venezuela
Originally posted by mac15
scurity is nice, but who has ever had a virus on a mac, maybew this update might be for webservers, but its not really a big thing anymore

i guess now that MacOs is UNIX based your Mac is open to a new world of hacking posibilities, UNIX hackers are probably more twisted minded :rolleyes:

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Apple's is heading towards most secure Unix

well said, vitruvius. But Apple is constantly improving security in Mac OS X, so I guess Mac OS X is going to be the most secure Unix OS ever .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.