Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jufros

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
I'm currently running Logic Pro 9 on my Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200RPM and am pretty thrilled with its performance. I also use both Logic and Mainstage as performance tools.

I recently acquired a Mac Mini to serve my personal computer needs but I also have an older 2.0Ghz Intel Duo 2 Core Macbook that isn't really getting much use at the moment. I used to use it as a personal computer but my band could really use a second laptop on stage. It's only got 2GB of RAM at the moment but I'm wondering if I'd be better off keeping my 2.0Ghz Macbook and upgrading the RAM or selling and trading up for a used 2.4Ghz Macbook.

Ideally, I'd like to have one laptop running Logic and the other running Mainstage. We'd use the Mainstage laptop as the main keyboard rig and Logic one for bass amp modelling and effects, backing tracks, and to send automated MIDI data to the keyboard rig to make up for Mainstage's shortcomings in that department.

I'm wondering what the latency difference is going to be. Should I just put the money towards a second MBP? Thanks.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Look at the performance meter on the computer while you use it. CPU speed does not matter all that much if it currenty runs at 50% or less. If you see 50% then the curent computer is a little faster then you need.

Want a car analogy? OK here is one anyway. If you have a 200 horse power car and never press the gas pedal more than half way down, then getting a 400 horsepower car wwill not be faster. Likewise even 200 HP is more than you are using so even a lower powered car would be good enough.

jufros

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2009
Yeah I guess it really makes sense just to reformat and install another 2GB of RAM and see where things go. I can always use the RAM in the next laptop if it comes to that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.