PDA

View Full Version : iBook turns greenish on its plasticcs

asiayeah
Sep 3, 2004, 12:14 AM
Hi All,

I have used my ibook for several months. Now, some greenish spots have appeared around the mouse pad, the mouse button and the areas for resting my hands.

I think it is caused by long-term interactions between my ibook and my hands. Somehow the white plastics turned greenish. It's not only grey, but it carries some green and yellow.

Is it common? Is there any way to remove those colors?

Thank you!

Tony Cheung

yoda13
Sep 3, 2004, 12:26 AM
There have been some issues with "corrosion" on the powerbook palm rests, but I have heard nothing about the iBooks when it comes to this. Are you wearing lotion or something on your hands? That could be the culprit.

asiayeah
Sep 3, 2004, 01:23 AM
There have been some issues with "corrosion" on the powerbook palm rests, but I have heard nothing about the iBooks when it comes to this. Are you wearing lotion or something on your hands? That could be the culprit.

Thanks.

I didn't use any lotion on my hands. And I usually use my ibook with the air conditioner on, so I don't think I sweat too much on my hands neither.

I am not even sure if the white paints have simply worn off or some greenish spots have developed on top of the white paints.

Thank you. Anyone else has any idea?

slipper
Sep 3, 2004, 05:33 AM
its enevitable, its probably from dirty hands. i use a regular lysol counter top cleaner and it seems to work fine. just dont use the cleaner on the keys, i suspect that to be the reason for the letters to prematurely wear off.

Rod Rod
Sep 3, 2004, 07:40 AM
maybe you read a newspaper and then use your iBook. newsprint sticks to fingertips.

wPod
Sep 3, 2004, 08:29 AM
sounds like dirty hands. . . not to say you dont wash your hands, but with heavy use and no cleaning any computer surface (keyboard/mouse) will develope a grey/green tint to it. i work in IT and when i go to troubleshoot someones computer i am disgusted sometimes when the white mouse has turned almost black and there is so much dust and crud built up on the mouse ball that the mouse wont work (and they people think there is a problem with the computer causing the mouse to not function) it happens to everyone. i clean my PB about once a week with warm water and a soft cloth. when i was using desktop computers i would clean the keyboard about once a month with warm water and a soft cloth. . . then get rid of the keyboard about once every 12 months or 18 months. this might be the problem, so give it a quick wash (sometimes rough scurbing is required if it has built up over a few months)

JediL1
Sep 3, 2004, 08:56 AM
I've had stuff like this happen. I read lots of newspapers so that area on my ibook turned greyish-black. I've heard of others in school have yellow stains from chalk dust on their hands.

The best stuff to use is Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser. Seriously, that stuff rocks, it looks like a white sponge, you wet it and then wipe the palm rest area and it lifts the stains right off.

Costs like $2.50 for 2 erasers and they last a long time.

.Andy
Sep 3, 2004, 08:59 AM
Your didn't call your iBook Bruce Banner did you?

Perhaps you are just doing something that's getting it Mad..............;)

wPod
Sep 3, 2004, 09:30 AM
Your didn't call your iBook Bruce Banner did you?

Perhaps you are just doing something that's getting it Mad..............;)

i believe the computer would be green with envy, not anger. . . asiayeah must have been browsing apple's web site looking at the new iMac when asiayeah's iBook became envious.

jsw
Sep 3, 2004, 09:34 AM
You might want to try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Try a small part on the back to be sure it won't hurt - and from what I've read it won't - and then go to work on the area in question. Those things are wonderful.

Spock
Sep 3, 2004, 10:49 AM
Your iBook is green with envy over the 12" Powerbook

NusuniAdmin
Sep 3, 2004, 11:14 AM
its just dirt/oil from ur hands.....wash them.

Crikey
Sep 3, 2004, 01:04 PM
It might not be just dirt. Some people seem to have different skin chemistry than other people. My high school guitar-playing buddy had to change the strings on his guitar every few months (well, okay, everyone is "supposed" to do that for good tone, but he "had" to because his strings would rust and break). He also corroded the gold plating off his guitar's hardware -- I thought gold was an inert element and not corrodable, but this was just incredible.

Meanwhile, my cheaper gear never corroded. The strings on my acoustic are at least nine years old; on my electric probably more than ten. I have dry skin, ordinarily a minor curse but in this respect a blessing.

Hopefully whether it's a crud buildup or some kind of corrosion (does polycarbonte corrode?), asiayeah can find a way to fix it.

Some of the folks with the PowerBook corrosion problem have addressed it by putting clear plastic sheeting on the affected areas; others have used a layer of automotive wax. Good luck, asiayeah!

Crikey

asiayeah
Sep 5, 2004, 09:44 AM
i believe the computer would be green with envy, not anger. . . asiayeah must have been browsing apple's web site looking at the new iMac when asiayeah's iBook became envious.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

I think the several greenish areas have turned pretty much permanent. They are not washable. I guess the surface of the plastics have turned pale greenish themselves.

Anyway, I does use my lovely 12" iBook to watch the coolest Apple products from time to time, including the latest iMac G5. My iBook may have been envy. ;-) But I still love my iBook!

Macmaniac
Sep 5, 2004, 10:03 AM
I bet the greenish color is coming from sweat from your palms. I have noticed this on other iBooks as well, especially after a long gaming session.