PDA

View Full Version : WTF? My eMac G4 is pwning my iMac G5

toloratedmeat
Mar 5, 2010, 11:15 PM
I don't know what happened. The iMac began recording really high temperatures after I changed the LCD screen and became reeeallly slow.

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=430454&doc2=430455&setCookie=true

Benchmark above.
http://dorkbydesign.com/imacg5.png
Any explanations?

TMRaven
Mar 6, 2010, 12:26 AM
I don't think those temps are really high at all for a G5.

mrsir2009
Mar 6, 2010, 12:47 AM
Those temps aren't very high, my uMBP gets up to 80C quite a lot. And G5 iMacs are known for getting quite hot. Not sure what the speed thing is about, but the heat is nothing to worry about:D

MacHamster68
Mar 6, 2010, 01:45 AM
the temps are @normal levels for a imac g5
as for the speeds that is not unusual the eMac is fast and there was a test when the eMac 1.25 and the imac came out and even back then the slower eMac gave it a run for its money in real world apps , you have to set the
performance to high at all time if you want to beat a 1.42 eMac and you certainly have to max out the ram on your iMac to get a chance to go on par
the g4 might be older but its a damn good processor

just look on my geekbench score for my eMac 1.42
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/221543
and now compare it with some iMac g5
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/chart/7425

so if you have clicked both links and all the little dots on the graph you should see that you need to max out the ram ,on the imac to keep up or overtake , ever wondered why the G4 mac's are still so popular ? at least now you know why , the G5 might have a more modern design , but in real world tasks it wont be faster , only apps that can take full advantage of the g5's newer altivec engine might run faster , but most apps dont take advantage of that

toloratedmeat
Mar 6, 2010, 03:09 AM
It's not just a little bit laggy. Even when I was listening to Handlebars by Flobot on YouTube it lagged. It was at like 23FPS.

MacHamster68
Mar 6, 2010, 03:57 AM
i guess you have tried the usual things like repairing permission and resetting pram or not ? if not give it a try

California
Mar 6, 2010, 05:31 AM
New hard drive and matched set of ram really makes the non iSight iMac G5's very very happy.

MacHamster68
Mar 6, 2010, 05:50 AM
especially as his iMac has only 512 mb ram which is the absolute minimum to run leopard in first place , and that restrains the imac g5 a lot , even the g5 could be faster, but it needs more ram to do so ,
on the emac its the same if you would snatch half of its ram it would not perform that well

a general rule if you max out the ram on any computer it will perform a lot better then with only minimum configuration

toloratedmeat
Mar 6, 2010, 06:27 AM
1GB or 2GB? DDR ram is expensive these days.

New Hard Drive....? I changed the Thermal Paste on the CPU just now. It lowered its average by 2c. Arctic Silver did the trick. Put a coat on that was thicker than normal. Instead of a little rice sized pellet, I used 3 rice sized pellets. Spread it. And it works sexily.

rickvanr
Mar 6, 2010, 06:37 AM
What kind of DDR does it take?

DDR400, which is what my PM G5 took, is cheap. Around $30-40/ GB stick. Grab a couple of them, and a nice WD 1TB Black and you'll be flying

MacHamster68
Mar 6, 2010, 06:39 AM
1GB or 2GB? DDR ram is expensive these days.

New Hard Drive....? I changed the Thermal Paste on the CPU just now. It lowered its average by 2c. Arctic Silver did the trick. Put a coat on that was thicker than normal. Instead of a little rice sized pellet, I used 3 rice sized pellets. Spread it. And it works sexily.

you will see a boost in performance with 1GB , obviously 2 gb would be better , most important are matching pairs if you upgrade the ram in the imac g5
and ddr ram i think its quiet affordable , if you compare it to the new iMacs which need DDR3 ....

and yes a older harddrive even if its a 7200rpm one can hold back the systems performance

300D
Mar 7, 2010, 01:00 PM
FYI, its "own". No such thing as "pwn".

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 7, 2010, 06:27 PM
FYI, its "own". No such thing as "pwn".
:rolleyes:

2gb DDR upgrade will run around $50-75 for a name-brand manufacturer. A good 500gb+ will make things run smoother as well. Also disable spotlight and dashboard as that will free up cpu cycles. As already mentioned, those temps are normal.